HUNTING AND THE INTERNET

Do you reckon that the internet and hunting sites are having a positive effect on hunting. Seems to me that nowadays that reputations of certain lines of dogs are being bulled up, by a large degree of self promotion by certain breeders. Gone are the days or so it seems that respect for good dogmen and their dogs was earned on the hunting field not on some keyboard. Looking at the increase in lurcher ownership over the last few years has the internet produced any positive effect on the future of fieldsports what do you think. YIS KIC. :thumbs:

• Like 2

cant see any positives it was better back in the day when people relied on what they saw of a dog with there own eyes instead of bigged up reputations on internet forums

I totally agree, as I said recently to one author of working terrier books, you are better being like me, I don't have a Dog at Stud, I have no breeding Bitch, and I don't write books, therefore no agenda.

Books are ok, you have a good read in bed or on the sofa, see some photos, however you can you really learn from them?

Publishing books these days is very easy and cheap to do, (If you have the time to do it) Printers will give you a very good price and there are many good small fry companys around willing to take you on for a decent price. There are way too many hunting books out now, everyone is on the band wagon. I'm yet to see a decent book that doesn't repeat itself. How many ferreting books, lurcher books, and god knows how many deer books there are! :laugh:

I like a book well written, telling the reader how it was done, I like to read the truth, the authors story not others. Getting the feeling you were actually there, setting the scene, not just full of photos and a paragraph of a tale attached. I can read that on the internet.

Nowadays attention to detail lacks tremendously.

• Like 2

As much as I like this sites and others, I believe that ultimately hunting websites will have a significant part to play in the total ban of our sport.This combined with our(and I include myself here)lack of proper media defence and promotion of hunting.

• Like 3

Books are ok, you have a good read in bed or on the sofa, see some photos, however you can you really learn from them?

Publishing books these days is very easy and cheap to do, (If you have the time to do it) Printers will give you a very good price and there are many good small fry companys around willing to take you on for a decent price. There are way too many hunting books out now, everyone is on the band wagon. I'm yet to see a decent book that doesn't repeat itself. How many ferreting books, lurcher books, and god knows how many deer books there are! :laugh:

I like a book well written, telling the reader how it was done, I like to read the truth, the authors story not others. Getting the feeling you were actually there, setting the scene, not just full of photos and a paragraph of a tale attached. I can read that on the internet.

I'm out of the loop over here...what are these deer books you're referring to Artic?

I'm out of the loop over here...what are these deer books you're referring to Artic?

I dont think you are Stabs ;)

There are too many to mention, Ferny Wood, Kia :huh: A Personal View, Among the deer, memoirs of William Collie, not to mention the endless stalking and management books.

When I was a kid I remember walking down road with my dad or one of his friends with a air rifle dog no one never cared what you got upto and we had people coming over and ask if they can one of them rabbits for the pot these days people dont eat rabbits why its good food people are stuck up there own ares and the way they look down at you that fu*ks me off

I remember when I first joined this site I couldn,t believe half the shit that was written and began questioning if I had been part of some demonic gang for the last 20 plus years, I mean some folks methods, attitudes etc to the dog game really pisses me off, no respect for the countryside or the wildlife which inhabits it

but I keep signing in,,,Why because I like hunting, training, entering the dogs etc

at the end of the day I have been trapping, hunting animals since I was 5 years old so I guess If there was a total ban with the dogs I would find other methods to satisfy my lust, may even start talking to the wife lol :thumbs:

I'm a firm believer that the ban was bought about by some of the mounted packs, 1 man with one dog taking a couple of foxes at night, no problem.

Then you had the mounted packs, meeting at a pub, running all over the locality with hounds, getting one to ground, digging and letting it run again, only for it to be caught by 30 or so dogs in a field next to a lay-by where "Nigel, Lisa & kids" have stopped in the car for a break & a picnic, to see a right mullering of an animal.

So as far as I'm concerned, some of the mounted packs are to blame (not all) but I've seen it with my own eyes and then they complain when it's showing the public? Bonkers!! .

That's why the Countryside Alliance isn't a defacto when its harping on about repeal as its all about mounted stuff, inot your average Lurcher owner etc...

Swings and roundabouts.

It is handy in that it brings folk together and you can search wider and deeper for what you want / need.

Stud dogs as an example, way back, you used what you could find local, now some will scour the country.

On the (massive) down side, the rise of phone cameras, facebook, forums etc have made it all a bit too visible, there are a lot of folk who SHOULD NEVER be allowed to speak for our sports in a public forum (in general not internet), they are an embarrassment and a liability.

And also now it's just too easy, no need to work your way up and into the circle, doing your 'apprenticeship' so to speak. Now you can sit at home with your can of cider and buy your clothes, lamp, dog etc all off the net, then just copy what you see, and stick up the photos.

It makes folk crave the kudos and approval of others.

And helps peddling.

• Like 3