Belgian Malinois

Well sod being a burgular in China Eh?

awsome animals, i know a dog trainer that told me where a GSD will go round, a Mali will go through or over, such is their prey drive/determiation.

Not with a good shepherd mate, a good malinois is no better than a good shepherd drive wise, BUT the shepherd is on the whole easier to control and calmer and more relaxed away from the training field.............

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well sod being a burgular in China Eh? awsome animals, i know a dog trainer that told me where a GSD will go round, a Mali will go through or over, such is their prey drive/determiation.

There are crappers bred all over the uk with certain lines being especially problematic, it's not really being highly strung as nervous bulldogs. Much of the original stock send over by US breeders h

Good thread , really interesting read for someone with no knowledge (ME) off these breeds and the work they do protection ect , ive heard all the "id kick it in the bollocks" before and thats bollock

Posted Images

spot on from what i have been told Simonman, Mali's too much for most...one thing that struck me when talking to a friend is how cheap a good working shepherd line GSD is in comparison to a mali?

For me if the dog isnt civil enough to be around people and has to be locked away it aint that good as a guard dog!

spot on from what i have been told Simonman, Mali's too much for most...one thing that struck me when talking to a friend is how cheap a good working shepherd line GSD is in comparison to a mali?

For me if the dog isnt civil enough to be around people and has to be locked away it aint that good as a guard dog!

Spot on, most peoples idea of a guard dog is a liability that will eat any intruder, to me that is a cull, a good guard dog, or i prefer the term protection dog is a dog that has the ability to adapt to a hostile confrontation yet be sociable around strangers and in public. Must admit i dont know how much good malis are going for, i was paying £500 for a imported pup back in the mid 90's, a godd pup now in this country from imported stuff is around £750, not much more than show bred shite.........

Not with a good shepherd mate, a good malinois is no better than a good shepherd drive wise, BUT the shepherd is on the whole easier to control and calmer and more relaxed away from the training field.............

How do you think a Mali would socialize in and around a busy human enviroment? As I am thinking of getting one as my guard/protection dogs are getting on a bit (9 years), I need an agile, alert dog that I could also take hunting and it may well get used in a Lurcher mix, as these are a lot more suited to that than a GSD.

How do you think a Mali would socialize in and around a busy human enviroment? As I am thinking of getting one as my guard/protection dogs are getting on a bit (9 years), I need an agile, alert dog that I could also take hunting and it may well get used in a Lurcher mix, as these are a lot more suited to that than a GSD.

Lee, i have trained a few and the thing all the good ones had was a hyper ott drive, the drive is no greater than a good shepherd BUT they just dont switch off aswell, i dont think they are as stable temperament wise. They would make a lighter, possibly more agile lurcher but the drive would be no greater, neither would the nose or constitution. I really wanted to put my best dog, the black Belgian bred over a greyhound and keep a pup but never had the space to breed, gutted now as he was PTS in April this year. The other dog in the photo is his son and is not quite as hard but a well put together, drivey agile dog with great hunting instinct, loves bagging pheasants in cover, rabbits on the lamp and will run anything else given half a chance as has been witnessed by forum members. He is now 7 and if i have space in the future i'll put him over a greyhound, i think the offspring from a well bred (i keep using this word as 99.9% of gsd's are physical and temprementally fecked) gsd could be an awesome hunting machine.

post-1118-0-51011700-1313581448.jpg

I also know about the "off button" on Mali's not working properly, but the dogs that I have known were soley used for security, man work and have never really been put in a social situation/life style. Obviously a running dogs constitution is very important and this is why I thought Malinois but as you said their temperament is not very stable and that is just no good for my situation, my dogs need to be able to be fussed/petted by strangers as part of their daily life.

Anyway the black dog looks real nice, what type of Belgian Shepherd was he? And what age did he make?

I KNOW A COUPLE OF LADS WHO KEEP A LINE BRED FAMILY OF SHEPHERD CROSSES IN WALES , DECENT DOGS !

IVE SEEN THE MALINOIS AND THE OVER ALL BODY LANGUAGE AND LOOK IN THE EYE PUT ME IN MIND OF CERTAIN LINES OF MANNY PITS .......

LATELY HOWEVER , IVE SEEN A LOT OF CERTAIN COURSING LINES THAT WOULD BITE AS READILY AS ANY ...... DANGEROUS DOGS IN THE HANDS OF KIDS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE ON THE END OF A LEADER .........

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

I also know about the "off button" on Mali's not working properly, but the dogs that I have known were soley used for security, man work and have never really been put in a social situation/life style. Obviously a running dogs constitution is very important and this is why I thought Malinois but as you said their temperament is not very stable and that is just no good for my situation, my dogs need to be able to be fussed/petted by strangers as part of their daily life.

Anyway the black dog looks real nice, what type of Belgian Shepherd was he? And what age did he make?

Hes a black GSD mate, from Peko Haus kennel breeding, the other dog is his son. He was PTS aged 12(still upsets me typing this), he injured his cruciate ligament in a training accident aged 6 and was retired from competion that involved jumping as asking him to clear 14ft long jumps and 6ft scale after the injury was unfair, 10 weeks after his injury with no practice or notice we competed in York against the bristish bloodhound societies best dogs and he won a judged competition consisting of a 3 mile track, 90 minues old over harsh terrain and successfully found the three hidden items placed along the 3 mile track (cork, bottle top and a cable tie). Ask any of the members here, stabba/jeppi/cheeky and many more who have been to my house and the dog loved a fuss but could be a scary b*****d when needed, the way it should be imo. I know 12 isn't a great age for a dog BUT he had a hard working life when i was employed to train manwork, it was always better to back your ability if you could get something special out the truck for a demo, the body was willing and he was still clearing five bar gates last winter but arthritis got into his leg and was causing him pain so i did the right thing..........

I KNOW A COUPLE OF LADS WHO KEEP A LINE BRED FAMILY OF SHEPHERD CROSSES IN WALES , DECENT DOGS !

IVE SEEN THE MALINOIS AND THE OVER ALL BODY LANGUAGE AND LOOK IN THE EYE PUT ME IN MIND OF CERTAIN LINES OF MANNY PITS .......

LATELY HOWEVER , IVE SEEN A LOT OF CERTAIN COURSING LINES THAT WOULD BITE AS READILY AS ANY ...... DANGEROUS DOGS IN THE HANDS OF KIDS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE ON THE END OF A LEADER .........

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

I know what you mean duckwing, all the really good ones i have worked with i wouldn't ever trust them around a daily busy situation, as a service dog, great, as a stable family protector, not for me, i agree and know what you mean about the look in their eyes, feck letting my kids near most malis, just too switched on and ott...........

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

I know what you mean duckwing, all the really good ones i have worked with i wouldn't ever trust them around a daily busy situation, as a service dog, great, as a stable family protector, not for me, i agree and know what you mean about the look in their eyes, feck letting my kids near most malis, just too switched on and ott...........

what about DSD , how do you rate them..? what i read they are more laid back, but more powerful than a mal, just bit smaller than GSD . The was lad years ago bred GSD/greys, and they were supposed to be good fox+deer dogs, dont know if you would get the same as some colliexs with nervy+robtic temps, the same in the above (GSD,DSD,MAL,)

Well Raymondo i have only seen a couple of Dutch shepherds, very much like a drivey shepherd and yes, the small number i have seen have been more chilled than a malinois, these high drive imports worry me as the same as a real deal bull they require somebody with knowledge and experience and aren't dogs for the average joe dog owner........

Well Raymondo i have only seen a couple of Dutch shepherds, very much like a drivey shepherd and yes, the small number i have seen have been more chilled than a malinois, these high drive imports worry me as the same as a real deal bull they require somebody with knowledge and experience and aren't dogs for the average joe dog owner........

I suppose if you could get well bred GS, from good lines , you would have eaiser temp, more powerful, guard dog. Are the imports where you got your GSD from, more of a healthy dog = HD i know it is a real big thing with alot of these type dogs, i lke a good GSD when i had bullmatiffs both breeds had HD real bad , thats why i came out of bullmastiffs. Ialways thought a GSD was better guard than a bullmastiff, both are intimidating but GSD's are more vocal and i think that what you need in a guard to warn off+ bite if need be. :yes:

Tanks Simo. Guess I'll be doing a bit more research on what dog I will get to replace mine.

No worries mate, help if i can at all. Ray my black dog came from a dog and bitch imported from Belgium, when he was 5 i put him over a bitch with Dutch lines. Breed faults are haemophilia and hip dysplasia are the two biggies, breed average is 16 i believe, my black dog has hips of 2:2, low score and the bitch a 4: I also had his blood tested as any responsible owner should :thumbs:

Tanks Simo. Guess I'll be doing a bit more research on what dog I will get to replace mine.

No worries mate, help if i can at all. Ray my black dog came from a dog and bitch imported from Belgium, when he was 5 i put him over a bitch with Dutch lines. Breed faults are haemophilia and hip dysplasia are the two biggies, breed average is 16 i believe, my black dog has hips of 2:2, low score and the bitch a 4: I also had his blood tested as any responsible owner should :thumbs:

pity there arnt more like what you had :thumbs: like you Si if you want a good'un , you got to go to the right breeders , even if it means out of the country :yes: