slugs in the kennel

Yes! Nasty, horrible great stripy spotted brutes: ugh! :bad: Slugs can transmit lung worm to dogs so it is best to get rid of them: 2 ways of getting rid: slug traps, which are eco friendly and don't rely on pellets: http://www.slugoff.co.uk/killing-slugs/beer-trap or animal friendly slug pellets:

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=GPC-197&ctgry=Slugs_and_Snails&cookie_test=1

The backs of our kennels/runs are about a foot from the garden fence so the pellets are sprinkled there just to be sure no dogs can get at them, but you can also go round at night with a torch when they are out and about, and pick them up and kill them. I just put them in the dog freezer and chuck them out with the rubbish on wheelie bin day.

Iv tried the sprinkling of salt but there still coming in along the Walls! Driving me mad as the food bowls are covered in slime every morning. I heard fill a bowl of beer and sit it next to the kennels ( where dogs can't get to it obviously) the slugs are attracted to it and, they drink round the edge and fall in and drown.

Pick up the food bowls as soon as the dog has finished eating: that's what I have to do. Then there's nothing for the slugs to come into the kennels for. Just picking up the bowls has more or less solved our problem. Haven't had to put pellets down all this year: and I know the slugs don't come in any more as there's no slime trails. Another good reason not to free feed and leave food down all the time.

They eat dog s**t, get half a glass of beer/wine/cider make sure they can get in it and theyll fall in a drown

Behind where I live is an old Battle Of Britain runway, very popular with dog walkers slugs are all over it eating the deposits the dogs leave,I used to think they were doing a good job, until I found out about lung worm.

My partner has established a small vegetable garden,and so with that ,and the risk to the dogs ,we have zero tolerance of slugs and snails ,though since I rarely wear anything on my feet at home ,killing them is a tricky job.

The beer in a bottle works ,my uncle used to take home the slops from the pub and kill the things off,at least they die happy.

Pick up the food bowls as soon as the dog has finished eating: that's what I have to do. Then there's nothing for the slugs to come into the kennels for. Just picking up the bowls has more or less solved our problem. Haven't had to put pellets down all this year: and I know the slugs don't come in any more as there's no slime trails. Another good reason not to free feed and leave food down all the time.

My dogs are not greedy dogs, I feed them when they get in from there evening walk but they just pick at it till the next morning even then there's some left.

Pick there feed up after 10 minutes mate, also question wether your feeding them the right food and too much. If my dogs don't eat up within 10 minutes it gets taken away. I can't stand dogs that are picky with there food, hence all my dogs eat there food within 10 minutes. That way you can get the dishes in, washed for the following day without worrying about attracting vermin to the dog runs.

The dogs soon realise that if they don't eat they will go hungry until the following day. It's no good to me if the dogs don't eat up and decide to eat there food in the morning. If i was taking them out for a days work they would be running on a full stomach, which isn't a great idea.

• Like 3

I occasionaly wake up in the morning to find a silver trail across the living room rug where one's sneaked a ride in on a log for the fire.

I started getting up in the middle of the night to catch the swine but without any luck. Then, one night I slept on the camp-bed downstairs while my mother in law pinched my space in the bed and was woken up in the middle of the night by...yes, you've guessed it: the slug crawling across my foot. YEUCH!

• Like 1