Double edged sword. I'm glad mine can jump - saves hoicking them over fences and styles. But one slip over barb and you can have a real mess on your hands.

The whippet can jump but will stop at a fence when he's chasing 'cause he's a git.

The lurcher jumps everything and anything which is handy until she rips herself open - and it happens a lot.

IMG_2779.jpg

• Like 1

i have a bitch same name stella an she can jump fine when she wants but will stand to get lifted over (i dont lift her i let her get through herself) more often than jump my dog in the avatar will clear all in front of him, like his mum before does it for fun but the wee bullx bitch will rather go through or under. if you have stone walls near you just get over and walk on or try chucking her fave toy over or whatever you use for retreive training. make it fun another dog can help in this situation if it jumps well. nice lookin bitch in your pic hows it bred my dog is similar.

my dogs jump and need to jump as i wouldnt lift the feckers over lol...

i know some people dont like there dog jumping due to the risk of injuries... but i know if my dog was chasing a fox and it stopped at a fence because it wouldnt jump it id be slightly p!ssed off

lurchers need to jump and its an advantage if they are able to jump while retrieving

stella must be a popular name, i just happened to have a bottle of stella in my hand when we were thinking of a name. i used to have wood up at the door of the run and she used to clear it easy but i made the mistake of lifting her one night we were out and she's been lifted ever since. so yes taxi driver bad training but not an excuse :censored:

Edited by lurcherdave
Guest FTBBTH

Fly, my 7/8 saluki 1/8 collie whippet, i never taught him to jump, he just started on sty's when i first started walking him distance at about 16 week old, he gradually progressed onto bigger and bigger fences double barb wire, to 6ft security fencing, ive never forced him or taught him, sometimes i think its just natural, he seems to find it fun, but he always just misses fences with a pinch of salt as you can see in the picture, im not sure why as i know he can clear them.

atb

post-63688-0-86877900-1312324428_thumb.png

here is a old one of Bryn, my pup Tod good as well , if you got lamp+rabbits on your back, last thing you want is to carry a dog as well .! try with pic wouldnt come on before with the new upgrade .!! it does'nt paste from photobucket, only from tool bar(Edit) feckin strange this .?????

16.jpg

heres my bull x dog jumping a gate i think that is vital that your lurcher can jump i wouldnt have one that couldnt. i like to start them off jumping when there about 10 weeks old by putting a bit of wood across the entrance to there bed not to big but just so they have to jump over it and increase the size of it as the dog gets bigger ill start on small fences with no barbed wire on at 3 to 4 months iv never had any problems doing it that way.post-60938-0-66292400-1312364556_thumb.jpg

On the fens your lucky to find anything to jump I do teach them to jump wire sheep netting electric fences ect,it would be imposible to jump the hedges as most are 20 to 25 feet tall.About 10 years ago I hade a deerhound x that jumped a gate like that metal one in a farm yard and caught his back leg in the top angle and snapped it had to be PTS was it worth the effort of teaching him to jump ,not for me sheep netting and wire but not gates.

heres my bull x dog jumping a gate i think that is vital that your lurcher can jump i wouldnt have one that couldnt. i like to start them off jumping when there about 10 weeks old by putting a bit of wood across the entrance to there bed not to big but just so they have to jump over it and increase the size of it as the dog gets bigger ill start on small fences with no barbed wire on at 3 to 4 months iv never had any problems doing it that way.post-60938-0-66292400-1312364556_thumb.jpg

this is my 1st lurcher so im learning, and i did the wood thing at the entrance and she was jumping it but then it all fell to shit and she just wont jump now