poke net

WELL DONE MATE ,

LOOKS A GOOD JOB RABBITEER :victory:

THE SLIDERS ARE DIFFERENT TO MINE , ......... BUT WHO CARES AS LONG AS THEY DO THE JOB ???

IVE BEEN MAKING MY SLIDERS OUT OF FENCING WIRE , 3MM FOR THE GATE NETS AND 2MM FOR THE POKE AND PURSE NET SLIDERS ....... GLEN WATERS STYLE ....... AND AS USUAL HE WAS RIGHT THEY DO WORK VERY WELL , ..... CHEERS GLEN :thumbs-up:

REW WAS ASKING ABOUT STARTING THE NETS OFF .......... WELL I ADMIT THEY ARE A BIT MORE DIFFICULT THAN A RING TILL I THOUGHT ABOUT IT A BIT AND CAME UP WITH A FEW BITS OF KIT THAT ARE A HELP ...........

THE ABOVE ARE HOOKED ON THE SLIDERS .. THEY ARE LONG ENOUGH TO EASILY GET YER HAND THROUGH , ........ WITH THE HOOKS BEING LONG THE SLIDERS DONT COME OFF IN THE MIDST OF KNITTING

I ALSO CAME UP WITH THIS LITTLE GADJET ........... WHICH I FIND EASIER , TO USE THAN TYING A CORD AROUND THE MESHES WHEN MAKING A GATE / LONG NET ETC .... IT ALSO KEEPS THE MESHES STRAIGHT SO THERES NO DIFFERENCE IN MESH SIZES .......

ALL THE BEST LADS

DUCKWING :big_boss:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rabbiteer

Cheers Duckwing, that has definatly given me food for thought.

If only i can get that dam vid outa my machine I could see how glen does it.............

Think I will go out to the shed and make a new jig tonight, just for the sliders.

thanks again

Good artisan work as per usual Duckwing.. :clapper:

This is what the Glenn Waters 'sliders' look like Rabbiteer... :victory:

I look forward to using your most excellant net... :D

Should be ready for you by tomorrow. :D

Dont even bother to compare it to one of Glens, as this is only the 5th net I have ever made!

If it doesnt catch rabbit's, we could always use it to start the BBQ. :laugh:

THIS LITTLE FELLAS FOR REW TO HAVE A LOOK AT .................. PATENT PENDING :D

ITS WHAT I MAKE MY LONGNETS OFF ............... THE WIRES 3MM .... THE COPPER PIPE IS BRAKE PIPE , IT FITS THE WIRE NICE AND SNUG, WHEN YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE NET ..........JUST PULL OUT THE WIRE AND SLIDE OFF .......... AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE BOTTOM PHOTO :victory:

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU FELLAS ...........

COPYWRITE .......... DUCKWING :big_boss:

Thats a good point mate, But what about the odd hole here and there where she is too big for a single net to cover. This is where a Poke net is such a life saver. I have missed manier rabbit in my earlier days because i didnt have a nice big net to cover the big hole.

There is also the situation where rabbits down here live in ex Wombat dens, and nice big Poke Net to cover the hole is a beauty

I think what netrigger meens is still have a large net but instead of going to all the hassel of making the wire sliders why not use a ring as normal? i have 5ft poke nets with rings and can honestly say they work fine as long as you set the pegs so the draw cords are tight, but thats good working practise regardles of net type or if sliders or rings are fitted. Oh forgot to mention, i use 1.1/2 inch rings on my poke nets instead of the 1inch ring ;)

thanks for th pics duckwing were did you get your brake pipe from and how much i will probabley make something like that.just like tomo said the only advantage of using sliders is that they are very cheap to make.i wouldnt say there was much differance in the speed of pursing of the net out of wire runners and rings.i see were poke nets can be handy on the bigger size holes but i normaly just set two nets over the same hole and have had good results doing this. and the pursing action is halfed but rings can do the same job just as good, and on the smaller holes it takes that little bit longer setting two pegs rather than one so i dont really use them that often.

good hunting

rew

Edited by REW

REW,

I DONT KNOW THE PRICE OF BRAKE PIPE ..... I WAS GIVEN A BIT WHICH I USE INSTEAD OF CRIMPS , IT JUST HAPPENED THAT IT WAS THE EXACT SIZE FOR THE JOB :thumbs-up:

NETRIGGER ....... FOR YRS & YRS IVE USED RINGS ........... AND CAUGHT BLOODY THOUSANDS IN THEM HOWEVER WHEN I SEE AN ADVANTAGE IN SOMETHING I AINT AFRAID OF CHANGE ............ IVE BEEN TRYING THE WIRE SLIDERS A LITTLE WHILE NOW AND ALTHOUGH I HAVENT TESTED THEM FULLY IVE COME TO THE CONCULSION THAT THEY HAVE A FEW ADVANTAGES OVER RINGS , I HAVENT HAD A SLIDER NET THATS GONE BACK MESHED ITS SELF ,[ SOMETHING WHICH I FIND HAPPENS WITH RINGED NETS EVEN WHEN JUST PLACEING THEM IN AND OUT OF A BAG ] NEXT THING IS I FIND THEY ARE EASIER TO SORT OUT WHEN THEY HAVE HAD A RABBIT IN THEM .... THE SLIDERS KEEPING THE RUNNING LINES APART , ALSO IVE TRIED THE HARDER TO KNIT TWINES ..... WHICH ARE S.O.B.S FOR SPINNING ON THE RINGS WITH THEM BEING ROUND ............ NOPE ... THEY NEVER MOVED :thumbs-up: DUE TO THE IRREGULAR SHAPE PLUS THE TWINE BITEING INTO THE TAPE :victory:

AND AS SOMEONES ALREADY SAID THEY ARE CHEAP ............. I CAN MAKE HUNDREDS IN A FEW HOURS WITH LITTLE EFFORT FOR NOWT :yes:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

Guest Rabbiteer

I have little experiance of serious ferreting as yet.

However im not a mug to pass up good advice. If someone like Snareman or Chalkwarren reckon that it is best and more effecient to use a slider then It would be wise of me to use their many years of experiance to my advantage.

Chalkwarren has used both but speaks more pationately about the ones with sliders.

I will make one on heavy rings and see how it compares to the one on sliders. I am not adverse to trying new things, but I do believe in learning from others experiances.

Netrigger,

I have seen a net you have made and hope one day to emulate the same skills! Congratulations to you sir.

Kind regards,