poke net

REW ,

I MADE A U SHAPED WIRE OUT OF 3 mm HIGH TENSILE WIRE ,.......... THIS HAS TWO LOOPS ON THE TOP AND TWO HOOKS ON THE BOTTOM ........... HOOKS GO THROUGH THE SLIDER EYES , THE LOOPS HAS TWINE ATTACHED ........ EVERY TIME YOU FINISH THE RUN...... . JUST TURN IT OVER , AND YER OFF AGAIN

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crackin lookin net mate, Im going to give it a go. Chalkie, how do you find the 5ft poke nets close, I have a couple of 5ft purse nets, but dont think they are closing up too well.

I think you will find that on larger nets(5ft) they will close a lot faster with 2 draw cords as with the poke net, that is why they came about. With the 2 draw cords and pegs when set the nets closing distance is halved compared with a single draw cord. On single draw cord purse nets it is good working practise to set the net with the draw cord tight with the peg being furthist away from the hole so that the tight draw cord will allow the net to start pursing as soon as the rabbit enters the net. ;)

NICE NET WELL DONE :yes: ESPECAILY AS YOU HAVE ONLY BENN NITTING A SHORT TIME.

HOPE YOU DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY , BUT ON A NET THIS LONG 33 MESH WICH IS 5 FOOT 6 INS LONG IF ITS A 2 INS MESH BOARD. I WOULD HAVE DONE WIDER THAN 15 MESH PERHAPS 22 - 25 MESH WIDE. BUT STILL I NICE NET WEL DONE :) TOMO

REW ,

I MADE A U SHAPED WIRE OUT OF 3 mm HIGH TENSILE WIRE ,.......... THIS HAS TWO LOOPS ON THE TOP AND TWO HOOKS ON THE BOTTOM ........... HOOKS GO THROUGH THE SLIDER EYES , THE LOOPS HAS TWINE ATTACHED ........ EVERY TIME YOU FINISH THE RUN...... . JUST TURN IT OVER , AND YER OFF AGAIN

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

[/quote

thats a very good idea will make one as i have abit of fence wire in the shed.cheers

rew

Guest Rabbiteer

33 meshes at 2" each is 66inches = 5ft 6" ( I think)!

If you want one smaller it would be a honour to make one for the |Great Chalkie just as long as you leave my teddy alone...........................

Guest Rabbiteer
what do you use tohold he sliders,the last time i knitted onto sliders it was very fidley.

good hunting

rew

I made the sliders from my normal tealer wire on my snare jig as shown by woodga. Just do both ends.

I then tie it it to my chimney at both ends so I can work freely in the middle, and when I turn it over it twisting the string and not the net. Will try and add some pics tonight. I file down any shape edges to prevent it catching at all.

:big_boss: Rabbiteer,...just make the fecking net,..and I want it by the weekend,.or your manky old 'teddy' will be 'sleeping with the fishes'... You get my drift,..:laugh::laugh::laugh:;)

Teddy is getting real scared.... :o:o

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Guest Rabbiteer

:D No probs, one 4z nylon poke net by the weekend with a four inch mesh, on light weight rings and single knotted just for you. ;)

:big_boss: Teddy has aked to be entered into a witness protection programme for his own safety :laugh::laugh:

years ago seventies and early eighties the miners i learned the ferreting game off all there nets were poke nets , made with spun cotton wire sliders and wire pegs double ended you could get twenty in a bag ideal for poaching, never saw many slip a net ,and i learned the art of stealth , there was a cotton mill localy and a net mill ,great days,ive never made many lately but not to hard for a keen netsman, ive saw nets made with the old rings of off old style beer cans plastic rings, no rings they all caught , it all depends how you set them .

Guest Rabbiteer

Had a PM asking how I make the sliders.

As I said, I am no expert and am willing to listen to any other methods.

I have a video about Poke net making but am unable to watch it due to my 7yr old son having a tape stuck in the machine.

IMGP0444.jpg

IMGP0445.jpg

IMGP0446.jpg

IMGP0447.jpg

IMGP0449.jpg

IMGP0450.jpg

IMGP0452.jpg

IMGP0453.jpg

This is Chalkwarrens net I am making, so im sticking the odd big mesh in to confuse him.

Hope it helps any other newbies.