poke net

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Richi; I've only just found this Post. Maybe I'm forty six then? What ever.

What, to you, Is a " Poke Net ", mate? I've been around ferreting for a year or two and simply never heard the term before. Purse nets, Stop nets, Bolt and Long nets, yes. Never before a Poke Net.

Please give us a quick description and I'm sure ye'll be offered all the " Poke Nets " ye can handle ;)

The Scottish Pokenet, A double pegged Purse net with Wire sliders instead of rings. Purses from both ends unlike the standard Pursnet.

Mate get your self some kit and stitch up a few. Its not hard its better than reading a book

:yes: The 'Double Ender' net is a useful tool. :clapper:

Usually five foot or more long and ideal for covering large burrows.

They can also work well alongside the gates when taking hares out of the fields.

The hares will often stop at the gates and nip through smoots and smaller gaps and the big net will take them nicely. I prefer the meshes to be knotted onto 'sliders' as opposed to rings . The unique 'action of these nets is very fast and works well no matter how the rabbit/hare/fox hits em...

I like this type of web and always carry a handful in the bag, just in case... ;)

All the best, CHALKWARREN...

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Guest Rabbiteer

Have just made a Hemp Poke Net on sliders.

15 mesh's wide by 33 mesh's deep. Have used a continual draw cord and spliced each end in to each other.

All of the hemp joins are on the outside.

I am no expert as this is only the forth net I have made after being taught two weeks a go by Big Fish.

IMGP0443.jpg

IMGP0442.jpg

Edited by Rabbiteer
Guest Rabbiteer

Hopefully will get 4-5 out of a half kilo roll. It was hard working with the hemp at first but when I moved away from the slider it was great to handle.

Will try and christen it soon if Chalkwarren and big fish let me get it out of the bag.

Even though it can be single knotted I prefer to double knot it.

When my hands recover I will bang out some more.