is there any body who gives ther ferrets?

i was asking my mates who have ferrets tht do they give there ferrets sap but they says no thts what the old poachers dose but i useally give my ferrets sap before i work them so i was just wondering if there any body stil gives them sap. then my mum says u useally give ferrets sap when u dont have any rabbits or any food for them

daryl

i was asking my mates who have ferrets tht do they give there ferrets sap but they says no thts what the old poachers dose but i useally give my ferrets sap before i work them so i was just wondering if there any body stil gives them sap. then my mum says u useally give ferrets sap when u dont have any rabbits or any food for them

daryl

how would you like to eat sap cause im telling you nie your ferret wont :thumbdown: and tell your mate were not living in the times when old pochers gave them sap :no: if you have no rabbit give them mince, chicken legs ,raw eggs or dry ferret mix :thumbs:

Aye cracking, feed a meat eater on bread and milk.

The odd thing is the poor fuckers DID survive on it for years.

But you will hardly get the best from your ferret on that shit will you?

There is a lot from the past that should stay firmly there.

• Like 2

Aye cracking, feed a meat eater on bread and milk.

The odd thing is the poor fuckers DID survive on it for years.

But you will hardly get the best from your ferret on that shit will you?

There is a lot from the past that should stay firmly there.

Thing is times were hard back then. Food is to easy to get hold of these days and we all are guilty of taking it for granted. Imagine not been able to afford food to feed your family. We give the rabbits we catch to our ferrets not many of us eat all of them. In them days a brace of rabbit would of been a cracking meal for a family and to precious a catch to give to the ferrets. Many blokes went ferreting because they had to not just for sport. I guess bread and milk was all they could afford. I agree that the past should stay in the past but it does make you think what it must of been like for a working man with a family. Get your ferrets some pigeons, Butchers scraps or a good dry food like Alpha ferret feast. These will provide everything they need Atb Tubba.

Edited by tubba

The wierd thing is, like Ideation says, they used to live on it for years! Just shows how adaptable their systems must be cos you'd think they'd show signs of malnutrition or something.

When I first get a ferret when I was 7 I was told by the bloke I got it off to feed it bread and milk so that's what I did, and it 'seemed' ok, it probably wasn't in perfect health in hindsight, but it looked healthy and was full of energy....wierd!

They definitely 100% need a meat diet though, even if its shitty dried biscuits, ideally flesh but if that's not an option for someone for whatever reason and they can't afford biscuits, they should get rid of the ferrets.

When i last kept ferrets back in the early 80's, there seemed to be two schools of thought, some believed that if you fed your ferrets bread and milk, then they were less likely to kill underground and lay up, because they wasn't used to eating meat. Others believed it would make them more likely to kill and lay up as they would be craving the vitamins that were lacking in their diet. I went with the second idea because it seemed more sensible to me, although i did it occaisionally in an emergency if i ran out of meat. That was in the days when there was no such thing as dried ferret food so that is my back up now. ATB. Neil.

Aye

I can remember when folk did feed saps! totaly no need for it,, and it should be unheard of nowadays,, I know that Lampingkid does not feed saps so don`t worry folks,, he`s just askin aboot it,, Amazing that ferrets used to survive on it,when yeh think aboot it,, :blink:

ATB