snare conviction

The injury to the dog will have been blown well out of proportion because they could not prove he was using the locking snares..the dog will most likley have only had working wound's that will of healed im sure..

Thats a thing thats worrying me ive loads of snares and since the law changed ive been putting crimps on a few at time six inches from the eyelet ,but its a long slow job and given half a chance i can always find something else to do , So could i be charged with having these snares in my possession till i get round to fixing them even if im no using them ,If thats the cause id be better ditching them and starting from scratch again ?.

Thats a thing thats worrying me ive loads of snares and since the law changed ive been putting crimps on a few at time six inches from the eyelet ,but its a long slow job and given half a chance i can always find something else to do , So could i be charged with having these snares in my possession till i get round to fixing them even if im no using them ,If thats the cause id be better ditching them and starting from scratch again ?.

I don't believe there is anything in the legislation about having snares in your possession which do not have stops on, you simply can't use them. The legislation covers the possession of locking snares only, however, better safe than sorry and get the stops on asap. From the picture in that report, the snares had penny washers as the locks and are illegal.

The injury to the dog may well have been as a result of tackling a badger or fox, the only reason a dog would suffer such wounds, but again, the report may well have been blown out of proportion.

As an aside, if you do have locking snares in your possession you will need to write to DEFRA for permission to have them and only then if you can prove that you use them for demonstration and historic purposes.

H

The legislation is different in Scotland and is not clear yet what is required thats why certain orgs that did snaring courses had to put out a disclaimer because the Muppets in Edinburgh havent quite made up their mind as to how its going to work. My old man and certain others had a long chat with a snaring expert at Scone regarding this but its all still in the mix will give more info as and when it becomes available.

send em to me ill have em :thumbs:

sounds like he'd been up to more than just carrying snares if he's dogs had a rip in its nose.

dogs can rip there nose 1001 ways :thumbs: as im sure you know as well as i do lol

Is it illegal to call birds to shoot them then? I thought you could do that. Dont you see calls on mail order sites. Or is that a thing of the past and I never noticed.

you can call birds to shoot with the breath from your lungs and any asortment of calls legally, but not with an electronic caller or speaker ect.

I dont remember the legal line exactly but thats basicaly it in simple terms.

Laws subject to change every 5mins without telling anyone so dont quote me on it.

.atb. .ste.

Edited by rossi_j

send em to me ill have em :thumbs: you cannot have locking fox snares in your posession now under scottish law, therefore if its only rabbit snaresthere is no problem ,as long as you don,set them without a stop just use the ones that you have stops on them and keep adding stops to the others until they have all been fitted with stops,the scottish government recommends that all stops on rabbit snares are set at 5 inches.which is far to small, i crimped 1500 stops one to every pegged snare at 6inches along with a breakaway system to every snare, i can understand how you feel i did a 100 every night until the job was completed, i notified the government recommending the 6 inch stop loop is more humane,and improves animal welfare one hundred percent, because the average rabbits in certain areas now are bordering up to 5 and 6 lbs in weight, hence, the larger stop loop,which effectively holds small, 1/2, 3/4 grown,and fully grown rabbits with relative ease,any trauma that used to be caused by the old snares with no stops on them, has now been totally eliminated 100 percent, also rabbit snares set in higher grass that makes an accidental catch of a hare ,allows the hare to escape freeing itself with my breakaway system i devised,although a breakaway system is recommended its not compulsory at this moment in time. using a 6 inch stop loop without a breakaway system still allows large brown hares to be released alive and well without any harm, where as a 5 inch stop loop kills them. woodga, was testing rabbit snares with the 6 inch stop loop without b/a systems and ten hares were caught all were photographed and then released unharmed, the scottish government now has these A4 size colour pictures in their posession.