Who has / needs the best terriers ??

To all the Terriermen / Women out there  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who needs the best working terriers ?

• The Hunt Terrierman
    • The Freelance Terrierman

Looks like the freelance terrierman is in the lead at the moment :whistling:

Theres more freelance type lads about thats all, not loads of lads who keep a terrier for our own pleasure have to worry about when they are blowing for terriers and want matey out and away double quick because the field is waiting.

As I said, in my very uneducated opinion you are talking about two different animals.

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont think there is difference between hunt and hobbie i just think that its the standard that any terrierman sets himself which depends on the dog he keeps if his personal standards are high he ll

the lads that work rock piles week in week out and do well have my respect ..a dog that either deals with or bolts its quarry regularly..gets its self out, has my respect

Theres more freelance type lads about thats all, not loads of lads who keep a terrier for our own pleasure have to worry about when they are blowing for terriers and want matey out and away double qui

Looks like the freelance terrierman is in the lead at the moment :whistling:

Theres more freelance type lads about thats all, not loads of lads who keep a terrier for our own pleasure have to worry about when they are blowing for terriers and want matey out and away double quick because the field is waiting.

.As I said, in my very uneducated opinion you are talking about two different animals

If that opinion is uneducated, then its bang on the money :thumbs:

Yep, far to many variables in each half to give a simple 'yes or a no' to either.

For me it's this, your hunt terrierman (paid or not) sees his dogs as the tools to his trade, many only require their dogs to do their job begetting him to do his. Being 'the best' is not always required. Though, there are many exceptions to the rule and by our very nature, we aspire to the best.

For those who are not employed in this field.. Well, think about all that are and the reasons they are, then the million other reasons as to why they would require 'the best' terriers, double that (cause everyone is his own master!) and there you have it...

A millon and one reasons as to why Wilf is right....! :thumbs:

Another thing for thought is a lad who keeps just a few due to kennel space could be a lot harder on dogs as there taking space up a lot of hunt lads a five minute wonder on a hunting day is ideal a mate of mine in hunt service will always have a couple of these about for un diggable spots a five minute wonder will sometimes stir them up enough for a bolt

Right gents, this is a constructive question, no sarky clever arse remarks if you please. Regardless of name's , reputations etc etc, who in your opinion has or needs the best working terriers??, are we talking of hunt terriermen here or the freelance boys??. Like I said, I'm just curious what the feeling is out there amongst us. Bear in mind, a pack of hounds screaming accros a hill and ending up to ground ( pre ban of course) would indicate a fair chance of smackums being at home.

A man on the hill on his own apart from his dogs has to check the buries himself and rely on his dogs to tell him if there's one at home.

A question, a genuine question to all the terriermen out there.

I look forward to all your CONSTRUCTIVE replies, and reasons behind them.

All the best

Bootsha

I personally don't think there should be any difference.If you want to succeed on foxes then you need a variety of types and temperaments in your kennel.Whether freelance or with a pack the foxes still go to ground in the same earths/rockpiles etc.

There is no one type or temperament that succeeds in every situation.

The only difference in my opinion is that outside of hunt work a terrier may be asked to find/hunt more to find its Fox as opposed to being led upto an earth that hounds have marked.

Edited by Moorman 1

I dont think there is difference between hunt and hobbie i just think that its the standard that any terrierman sets himself which depends on the dog he keeps if his personal standards are high he ll keep a kennell of dogs that reflect this if he settle s with ordinary then his dogs will be ordinary some hunt men keep a few different type s of terrier for the diff tasks they may encounter but the good hunt men will also have the top class dogs that will work too the very best standard . Even with lads that dig for sport the gulf between the dogs is huge and its back too same thing there standards its same in anything cars horses goldfish etc etc some people settle for ordinary some always want the best imo

WELL SAID DEE :thumbs:

HUNT TERRIERMEN WILL KEEP A VARIETY OF DOGS FOR DIFFERENT SITUATIONS. HE WILL TAKE TERRIERS ON LOAN TO WORK FOR PPL AND WILL KENNEL HIS OWN ALSO. AS FOR THE ORDINARY MAN WHO KEEPS AND WORKS TERRIERS FOR, AS SOME WILL PUT IT "WEEKEND HOBBIESTS", IF THEY ARE TRUE TO THEMSELVES AND WANT A HIGH STANDARD FROM THEIR DOGS WILL INVEST THE PROPER TIME AND EFFORT INTO THE DOGS THAT THEY KEEP, THEY WILL REAR THEM FROM PUPS AND IF THEY FAIL, THEN P.T.S. ANY DOG WILL BOLT A FOX THAT WANTS TO BOLT, BUT NOT EVERY DOG WILL STAY THE COURSE UNTIL THE JOB IS DONE, ESPECIALLY IF THE GOING GETS TOUGH. AS DEE MAC SAYS, IT'S MORE ABOUT STANDARDS OF THE TERRIERMAN BE IT HUNT OR ENTHUASIAST. EITHER WAY, SET YOUR STANDARDS HIGH AND DON'T SETTLE FOR 2ND BEST. IF THEY FAIL, THEN CULL. IF ALL DOGMEN THOUGHT THE SAME THEN THERE WOULDN'T BE AS MUCH SHIT FLOATING ABOUT AS THERE IS. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY, TOO MANY PPL WANT A FINANCIAL RETURN ON THEIR DOGS RATHER THAN SATISFACTION ON HOW THEY WORK. JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

• Like 1

Same quest in earth dog run dog yesterday!

yup i just read that now, hes even written the same lol

defo the freelance guy imo

"Yesterday" would have been the 8th of July, this original thread is dated the 7th of July, have a little think about it mate.

And yes Wilf has got a valid point, theres a lot more freelance boys out there than Hunt terrier men, so the numbers voteing wouldn't be a fair balance, good point.

Do not underestimate the ametuer terrierman jus because he isn't paid to do a job doesn't mean his terriers are sub standard if anything I'd say theyd be better as he will take more time digging his dog out were as the hunt man is flat out to get the dig complete to do his job ok in the olden days then the hunt man would get a lot of digging but these days he win be getting as much some lads do as they are flat out for digging who are hunt service but a lot just do these days as little as possible

Do not underestimate the ametuer terrierman jus because he isn't paid to do a job doesn't mean his terriers are sub standard if anything I'd say theyd be better as he will take more time digging his dog out were as the hunt man is flat out to get the dig complete to do his job ok in the olden days then the hunt man would get a lot of digging but these days he win be getting as much some lads do as they are flat out for digging who are hunt service but a lot just do these days as little as possible

I would say any lad in hunt service would do most of their diging while out stoping the day before a hunt than on the actuall hunt days.They do get a lot of diging in,but most of it is behind the scenes and like i said not on hunt days.Where as the ordinary joe soap will dig every chance they get regardless.As for the type of terrier either man keeps,well that is intirely up to the individual himself.