Boz Shepherd Dogs or Kangals

Hello everyone!

I live in the USA, and raise both Boz Shepherd and Kangal dogs. My purpose is for Livestock Guardians, but was wanting to inquire to see if anyone has had experience hunting with any of these breeds of dogs.

Although not typically used for such, I run across pictures and videos in Turkish with them being used for hunting wild boar and bear.

In the USA, Wild Boar are overpopulating. Many people hunt them with dogs, mostly the typical breeds. If possible, I would like to learn the streangths or weaknesses of these breeds, and possibly test them.

With a Boz Shepherd dog 30-38 inches tall, 160-220 pounds that could run for miles, and take on a mountain lion, I would think they could handle their own. They sometimes compete by pulling 10,000 pound tractors, but remain agile and very fast. My only concern is their low prey drive, and high defense nature.

boz shepherd dog is a breed devopled for fighting and from what i can gather wasn't bred to be an LGD. They have fighting tournaments in Turkey just for the BSD.

a mate of mine been over to Turkey few times, and saw the Kangals there guarding the goats+sheep there, and said you wouldnt mess with them, big dangerous feckers. So these Boz shepherds must be hell of a thing if they are bigger+stronger than Kangals.!! :yes:

boz shepherd dog is a breed devopled for fighting and from what i can gather wasn't bred to be an LGD. They have fighting tournaments in Turkey just for the BSD.

a mate of mine been over to Turkey few times, and saw the Kangals there guarding the goats+sheep there, and said you wouldnt mess with them, big dangerous feckers. So these Boz shepherds must be hell of a thing if they are bigger+stronger than Kangals.!! :yes:

Here's another breed that comes from Turkey 'Malak'

Another fighting breed.

post-49213-0-82361800-1309951142_thumb.jpg

The Boz Shepherd Dog is fought frequently in Turkey, as are all the bigger Turkish Breeds. But to say they were bred just to fight is not quite fair to them. They were originated in the Urfa Mountains, and used to guard sheep and goats. They double as Family guardians. They have been fought throughout their development over many hundreds to thousands of years. Fighting was used as a tool by the shepherds to select the best dogs with the ability to kill the larger mountain wolves. These are one of the most physically capable giant dogs of today.

They are quite scary, but perfect gentlemen when taken to ball games, parades, birthday parties of children. Quite capable defenders, but great temperment if socialized to such.

I have a website with information; www.monstermalak.com In turkey and Bulgaria, they hunt swine with them. I am trying to find out how they hunt; track, sight, catch dogs, grab and hold, harassers???

The Boz are larger, 33-42 inches, with 33-36 being norm. 160-220 pounds, but agile, Very strong, fast, and great at downing an whatever it is fighting.

Thanks,

Brian

The Boz Shepherd Dog is fought frequently in Turkey, as are all the bigger Turkish Breeds. But to say they were bred just to fight is not quite fair to them. They were originated in the Urfa Mountains, and used to guard sheep and goats. They double as Family guardians. They have been fought throughout their development over many hundreds to thousands of years. Fighting was used as a tool by the shepherds to select the best dogs with the ability to kill the larger mountain wolves. These are one of the most physically capable giant dogs of today.

They are quite scary, but perfect gentlemen when taken to ball games, parades, birthday parties of children. Quite capable defenders, but great temperment if socialized to such.

I have a website with information; www.monstermalak.com In turkey and Bulgaria, they hunt swine with them. I am trying to find out how they hunt; track, sight, catch dogs, grab and hold, harassers???

The Boz are larger, 33-42 inches, with 33-36 being norm. 160-220 pounds, but agile, Very strong, fast, and great at downing an whatever it is fighting.

Thanks,

Brian

On other forum's i wont mention lads from Turkey bang on about the BSD and even class it better then the tosa.

However you seem to know alot more then I do so I won't argue with you.

Edited by judge2010

Here's another breed that comes from Turkey 'Malak'

Another fighting breed.

That's more like a fekkin bear than a dog!!!! sh1t!

Judge 2010, Please do not get me wrong, I am not saying that they are not used for fighting in Turkey. The Boz Shepherds have dominated the fights, and have won most of the National Championships.

But with regards to the origin of the breed, it by far pre dates the more modern aspect of fighting. The culture of fighting dogs in Turkey has through history been used as a selection tool. But sadly in the modernization, has basterdized into a sport. The Boz is an ancient dog from the Urfa Mountains. A strongly tribal area that has stayed isolated due to the tribal strife. For many many hundreds or thousands of years, these dogs were developed in the area as Livestock Guardians. They guarded the village in the winter. In the Mountains, they are called Guregh. From the southern Urfa Mountains comes the Yoruk. These dogs have been fought for milinea, as it is what has helped form them. [/b][/size]

Sorry, but I do not have any videos of my pups. But one can youtube a search on Guregh or boz. They are quite fast and agile. My male has no problem jumping 4 foot fences. Then again, he is 33 inches tall at 9 months old.

I was hoping to find someone with experience of hunting with them.

thanks,

Brianpost-64166-0-09570500-1309976444_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I had originally posted this in the general forum. New here,,,haha.

Has anyone hunted with the Boz Shepherd Dogs, or Kangals. They are both Turkish Livestock Guardians. I have seen videos with them hunting Boar, and even against a tiger (although I feel the tiger was playing).

They are large, strong, fast, and a VERY capable oponnent to anything.

My website is www.monstermalak.com if you are unaware of the breed.

Anyone sharing experience hunting with them would be appretiated;

Brian

post-64166-0-92923300-1309977616_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I had originally posted this in the general forum. New here,,,haha.

Has anyone hunted with the Boz Shepherd Dogs, or Kangals. They are both Turkish Livestock Guardians. I have seen videos with them hunting Boar, and even against a tiger (although I feel the tiger was playing).

They are large, strong, fast, and a VERY capable oponnent to anything.My website is www.monstermalak.com if you are unaware of the breed.

Anyone sharing experience hunting with them would be appretiated;

Brian

post-64166-0-92923300-1309977616_thumb.jpg

The look amazing dogs mate but totally pointless in this country in my opiion, we don't have large predators or wide open expanses of land so it couldn't be used as a livestock guardian. Perhaps they are effective on large quarry but pre ban in the UK they would never catch a deer/fox/hare and as rabbit is the only legal quarry now they would be as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike :thumbs:

Like i said, awesome looking breed though...........

• Like 1