January Hares...

This is a genuine question and not at all a topic to be turned into a slanging match which is usually the norm if i make a post lol..i'm no day coursing man but have took my quota of gear over the years and where i live not far from the Scottish Border i find that quite a high % of the female hares are carrying young in early/mid January and we often hear the phrase about "testing your dog on a January hare on the big land"? Well it's common knowledge that 300 mile south (Fens) from where i am the climate is generally 3 or 4 degrees warmer at the least so would the hares down there not be carrying young at this time too and therefore make a ridicule of that "phrase"? After all it's a 50/50 chance that you'll be running a doe? Like i said i'm not looking for an argument i'd be genuinely interested to hear from the lads who have ran and caught down there before the ban came into effect at this time of year? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its dificult to know the exact reason a hare is at its fittest in winter,,, but i subscribe to the theroy, that its best feeding in summer and autum is over, so its loosing puppy fat,,, also its prett

its a fact that changes in the pattern of land use have not been helpful to hares. Autumn sown cereal crops show better yields than those sown in the spring owing to the longer growing season availabl

best way is to run 15 hares at the start of september and the on the same land run 15 hares at the start of jan ..i think you will find out when hares are at there best.....and before someone says s

this mite be going of the post a little,,people go on a bout jan,, hares being fit,, the hare his a wild animal,,why shud it be fitter in jan, its diet stays the same,all year round, no BQ IN SUMMER OK it mite get chased once or twice, but these fen dogs are suposted to catch a massive percent of them,,the hare covers more ground in march time when they are fu,,kin fit,, thats when i think a hare his at its fittist ,, but bye this time there well in young, and to late to be coursed,, bre ban i iam tookin about,

This is a genuine question and not at all a topic to be turned into a slanging match which is usually the norm if i make a post lol..i'm no day coursing man but have took my quota of gear over the years and where i live not far from the Scottish Border i find that quite a high % of the female hares are carrying young in early/mid January and we often hear the phrase about "testing your dog on a January hare on the big land"? Well it's common knowledge that 300 mile south (Fens) from where i am the climate is generally 3 or 4 degrees warmer at the least so would the hares down there not be carrying young at this time too and therefore make a ridicule of that "phrase"? After all it's a 50/50 chance that you'll be running a doe? Like i said i'm not looking for an argument i'd be genuinely interested to hear from the lads who have ran and caught down there before the ban came into effect at this time of year? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

no not found the same,,, very few carrying young at that time of year,, some are carrying around march, but not all...........leeview put a very intresting post up a few year back where a survay was done of hares,, they found the biggest persentage of leverets were born in july. :thumbs:

• Like 1

this mite be going of the post a little,,people go on a bout jan,, hares being fit,, the hare his a wild animal,,why shud it be fitter in jan, its diet stays the same,all year round, no BQ IN SUMMER OK it mite get chased once or twice, but these fen dogs are suposted to catch a massive percent of them,,the hare covers more ground in march time when they are fu,,kin fit,, thats when i think a hare his at its fittist ,, but bye this time there well in young, and to late to be coursed,, bre ban i iam tookin about,

its dificult to know the exact reason a hare is at its fittest in winter,,, but i subscribe to the theroy, that its best feeding in summer and autum is over, so its loosing puppy fat,,, also its pretty much fully grown by winter.. also because of the lack of vegitation to hide in, it has to up its game so to speak, in other words that dumb young hare that might of tried to dodge a dog, through cover now has less opertunity to do this.

and of course if its lucky to have survived being ran a few times,,, well that speaks for its self.

i dont think there at the best in march , robert because of what you said, they spend alot of energy chassing each other..... dont get me wrong you can still get some gooduns :thumbs:

• Like 3

its dificult to know the exact reason a hare is at its fittest in winter,,, but i subscribe to the theroy, that its best feeding in summer and autum is over, so its loosing puppy fat,,, also its pretty much fully grown by winter.. also because of the lack of vegitation to hide in, it has to up its game so to speak, in other words that dumb young hare that might of tried to dodge a dog, through cover now has less opertunity to do this.

and of course if its lucky to have survived being ran a few times,,, well that speaks for its self.

i dont think there at the best in march , robert because of what you said, they spend alot of energy chassing each other..... dont get me wrong you can still get some gooduns :thumbs:

:thumbs:

I've found milky does in January, but obviously not as many as in the summer. They are classed as there fittest then as the males are not breeding, the females are not carrying young, the young ones have grown up and also most are used to what a dog looks like! This in general makes the hares run at there best. Jmo

• Like 1

TOMO I NO WERE COMING FROM, LAST WINTER AND WINTER BEFORE, THEY ADD IT HARD,,SHAWLY DEC JAN FEB MONTHS WITH LACK OF GOOD GRUB,, DRACKS ANY TYPE OF ANIMAL DOWN TO ITS LOWEST,, JUST BECAUCE A HARE CAN GET THREW THIS,, DOSE IT MAKE IT A FIT HARE, OR HAS NATURE JUST SCRAPPED THE HARE THREW IT , IN MARCH WITH ALL THAT RICH GOODNESS IN ITS FOOD,, IT MUST COUNT FOR SOME,THINK THERE HIS HARES THAT AS GOT,A WAY YOU WILL ALLWAYS GET THEM, [ BUT] THEIR NOT BEING CHASED DAY AFTER DAY ALL THREW THE SEASON, TO KEEP THEM TO A HIGH FITT,NESS , A LITTLE WISER MAY BE, THAT WAS PROB,, DOWN TO MY DOG CHASING THEM LOL THIS YEAR AFTER THE SNOW ADD GONE THE FROST, THIS WAS BACK END OF JAN, SHOT 2 OF THE EASIEST EVER THEY WAS HALF THE BODY WAIT, ITS NOT JUST DOWN TO DAY LIGHT WHEN ANIMAL START TO BREED, THERE BODY TELLS THEM THEY ARE FIT ENOUGH, IM STILL WAITING,,LOL

Edited by robert michem

we can all debate this subject as much as we want ,,, and have all kinds of theroys, about it ,there food , weather ect............but ask any body that runs them regular,, and they all say the same thing, december through till feb............ this is born from experiance not from theroys :thumbs:

• Like 1

TOMO I NO WERE COMING FROM, LAST WINTER AND WINTER BEFORE, THEY ADD IT HARD,,SHAWLY DEC JAN FEB MONTHS WITH LACK OF GOOD GRUB,, DRACKS ANY TYPE OF ANIMAL DOWN TO ITS LOWEST,, JUST BECAUCE A HARE CAN GET THREW THIS,, DOSE IT MAKE IT A FIT HARE, OR HAS NATURE JUST SCRAPPED THE HARE THREW IT , IN MARCH WITH ALL THAT RICH GOODNESS IN ITS FOOD,, IT MUST COUNT FOR SOME,THINK THERE HIS HARES THAT AS GOT,A WAY YOU WILL ALLWAYS GET THEM, [ BUT] THEIR NOT BEING CHASED DAY AFTER DAY ALL THREW THE SEASON, TO KEEP THEM TO A HIGH FITT,NESS , A LITTLE WISER MAY BE, THAT WAS PROB,, DOWN TO MY DOG CHASING THEM LOL THIS YEAR AFTER THE SNOW ADD GONE THE FROST, THIS WAS BACK END OF JAN, SHOT 2 OF THE EASIEST EVER THEY WAS HALF THE BODY WAIT,

well that last bit answers the question,, they was shot easy cos they were poor,,, not because it was january

TOMO I NO WERE COMING FROM, LAST WINTER AND WINTER BEFORE, THEY ADD IT HARD,,SHAWLY DEC JAN FEB MONTHS WITH LACK OF GOOD GRUB,, DRACKS ANY TYPE OF ANIMAL DOWN TO ITS LOWEST,, JUST BECAUCE A HARE CAN GET THREW THIS,, DOSE IT MAKE IT A FIT HARE, OR HAS NATURE JUST SCRAPPED THE HARE THREW IT , IN MARCH WITH ALL THAT RICH GOODNESS IN ITS FOOD,, IT MUST COUNT FOR SOME,THINK THERE HIS HARES THAT AS GOT,A WAY YOU WILL ALLWAYS GET THEM, [ BUT] THEIR NOT BEING CHASED DAY AFTER DAY ALL THREW THE SEASON, TO KEEP THEM TO A HIGH FITT,NESS , A LITTLE WISER MAY BE, THAT WAS PROB,, DOWN TO MY DOG CHASING THEM LOL THIS YEAR AFTER THE SNOW ADD GONE THE FROST, THIS WAS BACK END OF JAN, SHOT 2 OF THE EASIEST EVER THEY WAS HALF THE BODY WAIT, ITS NOT JUST DOWN TO DAY LIGHT WHEN ANIMAL START TO BREED, THERE BODY TELLS THEM THEY ARE FIT ENOUGH, IM STILL WAITING,,LOL

Not sure where you get all that rich goodness in its food come march?

THIS DEBAIT COULD GO ON FOR EVER,,, WHAT IM TRYING TO PUT A CROSS HIS THE WINTER MONTHS LIKE THE LAST TO YEARS DO DRACK ANY ANIMAL DOWN TO ITS LOWIST, SO AFTER ALL THIS THE SPRING COMES, AND THEIR HIS BETTER NOURICHMENT IN THE FOOD, ANY ANIMAL WHAT HAS ADD IT RUFF WILL FEEL A LOT STRONGER FOR IT, LIKE I PUT ABOVE SHOT 2 DEAD EASEY HARES BACKEND THEY WAS IN SHIT CON,,,, DOWN TO THE WINTER,, BUT SOME GOOD GRUB IN THEM ONLY A HANDFULL OF WEEKS LATER IT WUD OF BIN A DIFF,,, BALL GAME,,,,,

• Like 1

I've found milky does in January, but obviously not as many as in the summer. They are classed as there fittest then as the males are not breeding, the females are not carrying young, the young ones have grown up and also most are used to what a dog looks like! This in general makes the hares run at there best. Jmo

Good call matey :thumbs: ..just to add do you lads think that ALL quarry is harder to catch come January not just the hare? And Tomo that really does surprise me about the hares down South not carrying young when much further up North many are at that time,i wouldn't of been surprised if they weren't up Scotland where it's generally much colder at that time of year? ATB Andy.

THIS DEBAIT COULD GO ON FOR EVER,,, WHAT IM TRYING TO PUT A CROSS HIS THE WINTER MONTHS LIKE THE LAST TO YEARS DO DRACK ANY ANIMAL DOWN TO ITS LOWIST, SO AFTER ALL THIS THE SPRING COMES, AND THEIR HIS BETTER NOURICHMENT IN THE FOOD, ANY ANIMAL WHAT HAS ADD IT RUFF WILL FEEL A LOT STRONGER FOR IT, LIKE I PUT ABOVE SHOT 2 DEAD EASEY HARES BACKEND THEY WAS IN SHIT CON,,,, DOWN TO THE WINTER,, BUT SOME GOOD GRUB IN THEM ONLY A HANDFULL OF WEEKS LATER IT WUD OF BIN A DIFF,,, BALL GAME,,,,,

Yeah,i agree with that Robert especially after this past winter :thumbs: ..the last winter was desperate up here anyways,we had 15 weeks solid of ice/snow,surely any animal including the hare that survived that must of been undernourished and pretty weak to say the least when winter finally relented it's grip? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

• Like 1