Deleted

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying exp

just for anyone that thinks keeping a jill in season all year is ok, this is what can happen http://starescue.org.uk/#/willow/4546656754

The implanter needle for Deslorelin is HUGE but many vets don't sedate before giving it as most ferrets don't even bat an eyelid especially if bribed with some Ferretone or olive oil.

Freca grumbled a little but that was more from being scruffed on the table than the needle I think.

One local vet who doesn't see many ferrets wanted to charge £90 and to sedate the ferret but another vet who treats a lot of ferrets and is experienced at handling them was happy not to sedate and I paid around £54.

For me personally I'm happy to pay that per ferret per year if needed as current research says it is probably the healthiest option, if a couple of years down the line concensus changes then at least the implant is reversable.

Also as I only keep hobs there is no imperative to prevent prolonged seasons like there is with jills apart from making them more pleasant to live with (from a human point of view) and giving them the choice to have a companion to improve quality of life.

I don't personally want to breed ferrets, too many needing homes as it is but I've nothing against breeding to keep a good working line going.

Edited by AlbionLass

Also remember if you get kits you have about a year to save up for the neutering.

Surely you can save up £100 over a year - only £10 a month really

I agreee with you , i wouldn't want the hassal of having to jab every year , and risking a vasectomy not working or reversing , so saving now for neutering would be my way of doing it :thumbs:

ive just rang Seaham vets mate.. there doing a special offer on ferret castration for £31 instead of £41.. until december not gonne get better than that round this area really mate.. durham charging £71 for castration.. didnt try south hetton cos there always expensive

ive just rang Seaham vets mate.. there doing a special offer on ferret castration for £31 instead of £41.. until december not gonne get better than that round this area really mate.. durham charging £71 for castration.. didnt try south hetton cos there always expensive

Thanks mate, Ill have to check that out. even 41 is cheap in comparison to the 60 odd i was quoted in spennymoor.

What nobody has mentioned is in my opinion it isn,t completely necessery to get the jills jabbed etc, this is the 1st year I have used a vasectomised hob on my jills, in previous yrs I have just left the jills in season and I haven,t experienced any problems :thumbs:

What nobody has mentioned is in my opinion it isn,t completely necessery to get the jills jabbed etc, this is the 1st year I have used a vasectomised hob on my jills, in previous yrs I have just left the jills in season and I haven,t experienced any problems :thumbs:

Well before the days of spaying etc what did people do with jills they didnt want to breed.

I asked my grandmother for advice on the matter as she used to have about 4 dobermans and lined them up on a few occasions.

Basically the advice she gave me was to get a male and a female as the male will protect the female and they will get on better.

She also said that if I let them breed next season and manage to sell the kits it will pay for the male to be vasectamised.

If you sold 10x kits at say 5 pound each would they go quickly? I know that a csection is a possibility but how much does this cost? it would be a gamble I guess. It would also be nice to end up with a few more ferrets as I would let the jill keep a kit and then id sell or give the rest away.

what do you think of this solution?

I think its a stupid idea if your gona mate the ferrets just so you can pay a vets bill and plus it not easy to shift ferret kits because to many people breed them for no reason at all

There is some evidence that neutering, especially neutering before skeletal maturity can lead to an increase in adrenal disease in ferrets. This was initially observed in The U.S where husbandry practices are different to working ferrets in the U.K but has been increasing over here.

It seems likely that the combination of ferrets neutered early (in the U.S ferret farms almost have a monopoly on ferret kits, breed them intensively and neuter just after weaning) and ferrets kept indoors and exposed to artificial light and an unnatural photoperiod leads to increased likelyhood of adrenal problems.

Neutering later or using then Deslorelin implant and keeping ferrets outdoors would seem the healthiest thing.

If I got a jill kit or kits now and was going to neuter rather than implant then I'd have the jill jabbed or implanted for her first season and then spayed at around 18 months-2 years old after she is fully mature to minimise risk of adrenal.

For a hob I'd let him stay the way nature intended for a year and implant or castrate in his second autumn or if I wanted to keep 2 hob kits together I'd get them both implanted at around 10 months old.

Edited by AlbionLass

I asked my grandmother for advice on the matter as she used to have about 4 dobermans and lined them up on a few occasions.

Basically the advice she gave me was to get a male and a female as the male will protect the female and they will get on better.

She also said that if I let them breed next season and manage to sell the kits it will pay for the male to be vasectamised.

If you sold 10x kits at say 5 pound each would they go quickly? I know that a csection is a possibility but how much does this cost? it would be a gamble I guess. It would also be nice to end up with a few more ferrets as I would let the jill keep a kit and then id sell or give the rest away.

I think its a stupid idea if your gona mate the ferrets just so you can pay a vets bill and plus it not easy to shift ferret kits because to many people breed them for no reason at all

Fair enough, Ill probably end up spaying.

If moneys tight or your counting every penny stay out of animals and dont look at breeding them to raise money that why theres so much shit being breed just now .

If moneys tight or your counting every penny stay out of animals and dont look at breeding them to raise money that why theres so much shit being breed just now .

I wouldnt say its exactly tight but since im living board free my grandparents wouldnt be to happy if I spent like 100 quid getting ferrets done lol.

Ill probably end up getting them spayed though one one month and then another the next or something.

Well before the days of spaying etc what did people do with jills they didnt want to breed.

Either bred them or just let them stay in season and let nature take its course, as I,ve said I have never had any problems with my jills, the only reason I lined mines with a vasec hob this year was rakeaboot was kind enough to loan me his hob, people seem to think if you don,t bring them out of season they will die but I obviously disagree, as long as they are well looked after and kept clean you should have no problems and you would be unlucky if a jill should die :thumbs:

Not having a pop at you mate you have been honest and said you dont have much experience fair play to you atb

Not having a pop at you mate you have been honest and said you dont have much experience fair play to you atb

no worries, i knew that. just getting as much advice on board so I can make the decision when choosing the sex as it will impact later on. in all honesty, the money isnt that big a deal but getting 2 done at once wil be a chunk of moneyfor me.