Deleted

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying exp

just for anyone that thinks keeping a jill in season all year is ok, this is what can happen http://starescue.org.uk/#/willow/4546656754

I'm not defending leaving jills in season as I would not do that myself but the poor jill in that link had been subject to general neglect, not just prolonged estrus.

The vet involved who knows his ferrets, he beleaved it was being left in season that had caused her to be in such a state.

This whole jill thing seems to be a bit of hassle.

If I get a male and a female in say the next month or two and get the male a vasectomy in say the november or so that would be fine right?. Again, your welcome to have a dig :D but the jill will only get pregnant if in season right?

Thanks.

I'm not defending leaving jills in season as I would not do that myself but the poor jill in that link had been subject to general neglect, not just prolonged estrus.

The vet involved who knows his ferrets, he beleaved it was being left in season that had caused her to be in such a state.

I was just commenting on what it said in the article about the jill likely having been kept in dirty conditions. Certainly being left in season on top of the other aspects of her care that were lacking did leave her in a terrible state.

That would be the cheapest solution. Though if it was me I'd get a couple of this years kits and use the next few months to save up and have them neutered next feb.

Don't have to worry about the jills coming into season, hobs fighting, unwanted baby in the long run the much cheaper hassle free option all round.

Though that only works if you have no plans of breeding at all

just for anyone that thinks keeping a jill in season all year is ok, this is what can happen

http://starescue.org.uk/#/willow/4546656754

Its a chinese ferret lol

If my jills ended up like that I would obviously do something about it but as I,ve already said I,ve never experienced any problems

and I would also like to add I had never experienced or heard about half the problems or what you should/shouldn,t be doing with your ferrets/dogs/wife etc etc until I joined this forum, agreed there is alot of useful advice but sometimes it just gets a bit ridiculous :cry:

I was just commenting on what it said in the article about the jill likely having been kept in dirty conditions. Certainly being left in season on top of the other aspects of her care that were lacking did leave her in a terrible state.

I know the ferret and rescue personaly and from descussion with them, they truely beleave it was being left in season that made her so ill.

I know the ferret and rescue personaly and from descussion with them, they truely beleave it was being left in season that made her so ill.

Absolutely, I've not said otherwise. I just made the point that the article says the jill appeared to have been neglected generally on top of being left in season.

This whole jill thing seems to be a bit of hassle.

If I get a male and a female in say the next month or two and get the male a vasectomy in say the november or so that would be fine right?. Again, your welcome to have a dig :D but the jill will only get pregnant if in season right?

Thanks.

why dont you just make it easy for yourself.. get 2 hobs.. wait till there about a year old.. castrate them.. £31- £40 each.. get at least season of working and learning about the animal before you get more.... thats the easiest cheapest new person friendly hassle free option...

Get two kits from working stock.

Either 1 jill and 1 hob and get the hob vac'd.

Or 2 Jills and give them the jab.

Simple, stop stressing.

Ferrets should be free, and the vac should cost about 50/60 quid, which isn't bad considering it sorts out your jill each year and EVERYONE is always looking for a vac hob in spring so you could easilu pimp him out for a couple of quid here and there.

OOOOOOOOr like dotty said, get her jabbed first season, then catch 60 rabbits and pay for the vac for the hob with the cash for the second season.

Breeding your first year kits will just leave you with a load of kits no one wants.

Locators are GREAT, but not a neccessity for a bit of sport ferreting. They do however come into their own if it's a bit more of a 'serious' trip.

Canis Lupis - Do you have shares in the implant? :tongue2:

Ferret 100 - the jab DOES NOT need to be given before they come into season, that is a TOTAL myth.

What nobody has mentioned is in my opinion it isn,t completely necessery to get the jills jabbed etc, this is the 1st year I have used a vasectomised hob on my jills, in previous yrs I have just left the jills in season and I haven,t experienced any problems :thumbs:

thats the way we always done it ,plus there was no internet around then just done what everybody done .never heard bout jill jabs untill the 90s no idea how long its been around but then they say its now outdated and potentialy dangerous just get implants at 90 quid lol .am only goin down the vas hob route cause the internets talked me into it :blink: plus if it backfires least it will cover a working jill ... the power of advertising and the internet right enough :whistling:

What nobody has mentioned is in my opinion it isn,t completely necessery to get the jills jabbed etc, this is the 1st year I have used a vasectomised hob on my jills, in previous yrs I have just left the jills in season and I haven,t experienced any problems :thumbs:

thats the way we always done it ,plus there was no internet around then just done what everybody done .never heard bout jill jabs untill the 90s no idea how long its been around but then they say its now outdated and potentialy dangerous just get implants at 90 quid lol .am only goin down the vas hob route cause the internets talked me into it :blink: plus if it backfires least it will cover a working jill ... the power of advertising and the internet right enough :whistling:

I think about it like this. . . . .

If i was a ferret jill and was in season. and didn't want kits. . would i rather. . .

Walk about all summer with my vag swollen, dripping and dragging on the floor?

Get an incredibly painful injection.

Have something implanted in my body every 18 months.

Or get ridden like a pony by a vac hob?

If i was a ferret jill and was in season. and didn't want kits. . would i rather. . .

You think too much, lurch 100 will ave you certified :laugh:

Edited by KittleRox

You think too much, lurch 100 will ave you certified :laugh:

:laugh: At the rate she's going she'll run out of folk to report me to! She'll be that desperate she'll be on the phone to the W.I grassing me up for that time i abused a tea cake. :o

Canis Lupis - Do you have shares in the implant? :tongue2:

No I acherly don't beleave in the implant at all. But if its not a good worker and going to be bred from somewhere along the line to inprove a line why keep in entier. Plus being there ways to bring a jill out of season why leave them and take a risk of harming your stock.

Edited by canis lupus