Am I turning into a wussy

Alright all, Im usually on the lurcher forum, but I thought I'd ask if what happened to me yesterday was a usual accurance, day off work yesterday, the missus calls me on the way to work and says theres a large deer looks dead on the verge of a road near our house, so, off I trundles and fines the very dead deer, a large roe doe, so I hauls it into the van and off I go home, thinking it's going to feed the dogs for a Month, so out comes the knives and on I get, anyway, to cut the story short, she was heavily pregnant, I found it very difficult to come to terms with taking the young fawn out, couldnt get the poor thing out of my mind, I can imagine what your all thinking, soft t$!^ but nice to know Ive still got a heart after all these Yrs of hunting.

Yes.

If you shoot Muntjac does they usually are either pregnant or with young somewhere.

I guess the thing is people don't care about summer shooting rabbits and hares with young but when it comes to deer its a different kettle of fish.

Anyway it was killed by a car so not really something anyone can prevent.

Cheers

happened to me last year ... bellied a doe and a pair of fawns fell out ... due to be born any day by the

looks of them ... the dogs had the mother and the ferrets had the fawns ... thats nature mate ... it was

all ready dead so nothing you could do ... better to use the carcase than leave it to rot ......

Agree with you 100%, you think your a hardened country hunter but every now and again you get a reality check and it does you the world of good, just shows you've still got a heart chap, when you get that feeling, you know your in it for the right reasons!

Well done for not letting it rot away on the side of the road :victory:

We should all respect our quarry whatever it is,I shoot foxes on sight,but I respect them highly as the survivors they are.I fed this fawn to the dogs so as to not waste it.........

IMG_0560-1.jpg

Martin

Alright all, Im usually on the lurcher forum, but I thought I'd ask if what happened to me yesterday was a usual accurance, day off work yesterday, the missus calls me on the way to work and says theres a large deer looks dead on the verge of a road near our house, so, off I trundles and fines the very dead deer, a large roe doe, so I hauls it into the van and off I go home, thinking it's going to feed the dogs for a Month, so out comes the knives and on I get, anyway, to cut the story short, she was heavily pregnant, I found it very difficult to come to terms with taking the young fawn out, couldnt get the poor thing out of my mind, I can imagine what your all thinking, soft t$!^ but nice to know Ive still got a heart after all these Yrs of hunting.

Im worse than that ! I hate it like mate . done a fair few , still dont like it

tbh sounds daft but thats one thing a dont enjoy doing when it come to the dogs :thumbs:

Edited by SLiP tHe DoG !

happened to me last year ... bellied a doe and a pair of fawns fell out ... due to be born any day by the

looks of them ... the dogs had the mother and the ferrets had the fawns ... thats nature mate ... it was

all ready dead so nothing you could do ... better to use the carcase than leave it to rot ......

Theres nothing wrong with compassion, the moment i stop having feelings during hunting is the day i'll pack up...........

I would probably feel bad if I killed it but you didn't so just be pleased it didn't go to waste.

To me its called respecting your quarry even though didnt kill it you have shown respect :thumbs:

Agree with you 100%, you think your a hardened country hunter but every now and again you get a reality check and it does you the world of good, just shows you've still got a heart chap, when you get that feeling, you know your in it for the right reasons!

Well done for not letting it rot away on the side of the road :victory:

bit of a mixture but the above sums up my feelings

of course for future times you know about deer being pts by injection and the offal dont want to risk killing the dog do you. :thumbs:

I was fishing for trout at a high mountain lake in Utah once. I was in the water up to my knees pushing through and going around tall lumps of grass. I come around a bush and i see a dead Mule deer in the shallow water, it startled me a bit, and as i look closer i see that the belly has been opened and a floating a few feet away is a unborn fawn. Neither deer had been mauled by any animal or had any meat been taken..

To this day im not really sure what happened, and it still bothers me a bit.