running a fox

when lamping foxes wit lurchers pre ban for some lads did u find that ur dog would catch more single than he would catch doubled up , im not to sure but when to 2 dogs are running togeter would one be dominant over the other,, its just something i notice at the end of the season when the dog was on his own he rearly missed a fox keep it all pre ban lads and lasses

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

young dog has to learn that the fox bites back no point in just letting dog rag dead fox because when u let him down on his own he s in for a nasty shock

some times alan a dog will run better on his own have seen dogs that both can turn well on their own yet when doubled up same dogs go wide i would not be surprised if its a jealous thing with both

Im usually after bigger fish but you know the crack, back in the day out with a mate or two Id go for foxes to keep owners happy and good crack, good sport, NEVER felt the need to double up, most of m

when lamping foxes wit lurchers pre ban for some lads did u find that ur dog would catch more single than he would catch doubled up , im not to sure but when to 2 dogs are running togeter would one be dominant over the other,, its just something i notice at the end of the season when the dog was on his own he rearly missed a fox keep it all pre ban lads and lasses

let you know if he ever catches something :(:(:(

Apart from 1 been domenint over the other it is also dangerous.I have seen a couple of good dogs killed over the years while been doubled up.Seen 1 killed of a concrete fence post where the second dog nudged the first 1 while trying to strike its fox.Seen another killed of the corner of a bridge,you know the ones they are about 18in of the ground and mainly over drains,same thing again 1 dog turned tight pushing the other into the bridge.I seen my own dog kill a friends in the day time where both were sliped on a bolting fox in a small wood,just as the fox was about to make cover my dog made a big strike and in catching his fox drove the other dog into a tree stump killing it almost there and then.If they cant do it single handed they should not be sliped with a dog that can.jmho.

if your dog cant kill fox on its own then dont slip on them slipping two on a fox doesnt mean to say its going to be any easyier the dog that gets the fox would have any how and the other may get into it or not but two dogs on it will result in 1 or both getting injuries as dog s try to claim fox for their self in most cases the fox is pulled between both and its this that gets them bitten if you training pup to take fox far better to wait till fox is dead then let young dog have a rag about on dead fox

young dog has to learn that the fox bites back no point in just letting dog rag dead fox because when u let him down on his own he s in for a nasty shock

i would let him rag or get in at the very end , the smells and feel wont be alien to him on his own , sometimes if used on rabbits a young dog can be shocked out of drive and back off with his first engagement with foxy because he not mentally prepared for battle

if you can get him worked up, on a kill another dog has made, the second time round the memory of been in drive will charge him up just on the smell alone,,so by the time he makes contact, he will already be in the right frame of mind at least,,

Guest ryan161

HAHA mate 100% right :thumbs: but the only time i would double a dog up is where there young

and only comeing on i would give them a few double up with a 100% fox dog and then from there you will no when there

ready for 1 on there own :thumbs: :thumbs:

some types of fox hunting can justify more than one dog , day time fox hunting can justify this and a perfect example of this is on the dvd , fox hunting with lurchers by day . two dogs working great ground what suits them perfectly and there breeding suiting the ground there working. very efficient hunting and clever dogs , hitting reynard with there nose on the back end to force the mistake, which allows the dogs to make the strike whilst at full tilt. one dog for lamping in tight fields , open ground is up too the individual, how much work your giving the dogs there will always be punishment to take at times. i think its up to the individual as to the terrain and the conditions and the work load will make you decide what to use for the job , and how many and what breeding to use :victory:

i wouldnt let a young dog encounter a foxes bite but each to there own :victory:

Apart from 1 been domenint over the other it is also dangerous.I have seen a couple of good dogs killed over the years while been doubled up.Seen 1 killed of a concrete fence post where the second dog nudged the first 1 while trying to strike its fox.Seen another killed of the corner of a bridge,you know the ones they are about 18in of the ground and mainly over drains,same thing again 1 dog turned tight pushing the other into the bridge.I seen my own dog kill a friends in the day time where both were sliped on a bolting fox in a small wood,just as the fox was about to make cover my dog made a big strike and in catching his fox drove the other dog into a tree stump killing it almost there and then.If they cant do it single handed they should not be sliped with a dog that can.jmho.

u seen ur fair share of bad luck

Double a young dog up with experience dog for first few times,then when u think he's ready for a run on it's own let him av a go,that's the way I always bring dogs on,if the dog can't do the job single handed then he not a fox dog.. Single handed or not at all :thumbs: