proven stock

I find that a pup bred from working lines,preferably going back several generations,in the correct hands,will usually make the grade.A bit of luck helps things along,a bit of bad luck can play havoc with the pups progress.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good dog man can't make a bad dog great ! And a bad dog man will deffinately make a good dog bad !! It's a mix between breeding, upbringing, and, most importantly, LUCK !! But it DOES help to have a

Can't remember who said it but "the more work I put in, the luckier I get!" Or some such.   Cheers, D.

I am honest, and I don't consider myself a "top dogman", my scenerio was just hypothetical. If I have a dog that doesn't make the top grade, (and most of them don't), then I just make the most of it a

I can tell you now, from the dog I have here that you can take a pet bred lurcher, and have it doing more than enough to be a respectable dog. Yep, working stock probably betters your odds.....

.....but let's stop kidding ourselves, most working stock- isn't in the purest sense!...... And really, catching stuff with a dog that is bigger, faster, stronger, trained...... Should be easy enough for most fit and well put together urchers to do. But a dog this way don't come out of the tin.....nor from an advert saying 18months old and ready for work.

If your lurcher has a good dose of running dog in, it's gonna wanna chase...... Yeah sure, it might be picky on certain game, or simply nit made for others..... But general Lurcher work ain't hard......

Always better to have a dog that YOU like because it genuinely caught your eye,, rather than some dfcker telling you the litter is the dogs bollox out of working stuff, or you take a pup cos the Internet or your mates egg you on to go that way.

A good dog man can't make a bad dog great ! And a bad dog man will deffinately make a good dog bad !! It's a mix between breeding, upbringing, and, most importantly, LUCK !! But it DOES help to have a well bred pup, not neccesarily from workers, but preferably.

Cheers.

theres no such thing as luck luck is like god it dont exist pal :thumbs:

No suck thing as luck off course there is,so you can walk in and pick a world beater out off a litter off 11, 12 pups dont think so you need a bit off luck when your picking a pup

hows luck got owt to do with anything they turn out however there bred what is luck then ? things just happen or you make them happen luck is like god its in peoples head things will still happen either way

Yuo've just answered your own question; "things just happen" !! There is an element of luck in anything we do. If you are a fatalist, that's ok; but I and many others believe in luck, or chance, or whatever you want to call it. But back to the topic; just 'cause a pup is bred in the purple and has the best owner doesn't mean it will turn out top class ! It's probably got a better "chance", just like a pup from non-descript parents can turn out great !! Though with a lesser chance... but of course you don't believe in chance or luck; so by your theory, all well bred pups will be good, whereas all pups from unproven stock will be shite !! Fortunately it dosen't work that way !

Cheers.

depends what you class as been a shit dog doesnt it like a said owt with half grey will make reasonable rabbiters now if your talking gameness thats a diffrent matter because breeding and up bringing play major roles in gameness so its breeding and upbringing for gameness and the old top coursing dogs must have come about by pure luck lol luck doesnt exist you pay your money take your pick make the most of it if its a world beater then you must have the ingredients right still would like to know what luck is if luck had owt to do with owt then why bother going worker to worker or winner to winner :thumbs:

really it does go along way if the pup is bred from good workers you stand half chance, that it will make the grade,maybe not a world beater but should be useful, a wee story, I was a very young lad at the time, about 14 year old, a travelling man who my father new well, had a wee dog only about 22" colliegrey x he called the wee dog Rags, he gave a bag of rags for the dog in a deal, well that dog was with that family for some time,

and it successfully, filled the pot on a daily basis, and nobody new exactly how that wee dog was bred, and they still talk about, that wee dog of today,

really it does go along way if the pup is bred from good workers you stand half chance, that it will make the grade,maybe not a world beater but should be useful, a wee story, I was a very young lad at the time, about 14 year old, a travelling man who my father new well, had a wee dog only about 22" colliegrey x he called the wee dog Rags, he gave a bag of rags for the dog in a deal, well that dog was with that family for some time,

and it successfully, filled the pot on a daily basis, and nobody new exactly how that wee dog was bred, and they still talk about, that wee dog of today,

Can't remember who said it but "the more work I put in, the luckier I get!" Or some such.:icon_eek:

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

A good dog man can't make a bad dog great ! And a bad dog man will deffinately make a good dog bad !! It's a mix between breeding, upbringing, and, most importantly, LUCK !! But it DOES help to have a well bred pup, not neccesarily from workers, but preferably.

Cheers.

No suck thing as luck off course there is,so you can walk in and pick a world beater out off a litter off 11, 12 pups dont think so you need a bit off luck when your picking a pup

hows luck got owt to do with anything they turn out however there bred what is luck then ? things just happen or you make them happen luck is like god its in peoples head things will still happen either way

Yuo've just answered your own question; "things just happen" !! There is an element of luck in anything we do. If you are a fatalist, that's ok; but I and many others believe in luck, or chance, or whatever you want to call it. But back to the topic; just 'cause a pup is bred in the purple and has the best owner doesn't mean it will turn out top class ! It's probably got a better "chance", just like a pup from non-descript parents can turn out great !! Though with a lesser chance... but of course you don't believe in chance or luck; so by your theory, all well bred pups will be good, whereas all pups from unproven stock will be shite !! Fortunately it dosen't work that way !

Cheers.

depends what you class as been a shit dog doesnt it like a said owt with half grey will make reasonable rabbiters now if your talking gameness thats a diffrent matter because breeding and up bringing play major roles in gameness so its breeding and upbringing for gameness and the old top coursing dogs must have come about by pure luck lol luck doesnt exist you pay your money take your pick make the most of it if its a world beater then you must have the ingredients right still would like to know what luck is if luck had owt to do with owt then why bother going worker to worker or winner to winner :thumbs:

O.K. mate ; we've had a canny discussion. I'll respect your point of view... I hope you'll respect mine ! At the moment, I've got two dogs; one a worker to worker bred bitch; the other a first cross from non workers... both do what I want from them, so I can see both sides of the discussion. :thumbs:

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

O.K. mate ; we've had a canny discussion. I'll respect your point of view... I hope you'll respect mine ! At the moment, I've got two dogs; one a worker to worker bred bitch; the other a first cross from non workers... both do what I want from them, so I can see both sides of the discussion. :thumbs:

Cheers.

yes mate whats the other half to the cross mate obvious 1 half the greyhound yes ?

I reckon its a mixture of 'nature and nurture'. Or rather, a mixture of 'working lines' and 'training by a good dogman'.

Obviously a good dogman training a pup from good working lines is more likely to rear a great dog.

Similarly a bad dogman training a pup from a puppy farm is more likely to struggle to rear a great dog.

However.... a rubbish dogman can mess up a promising pup from good working stock. :doh:

Also....... a great dogman can bring out the best in a pup with no working history. :thumbs:

I've read plenty of posts on here from blokes saying 'so and so sold me a pup and it was shit', only for someone else to post that they had one from the same litter that turned out great, after a bit of time and effort. Just gotta find that mix of nature and nurture i reckon. :thumbs:

I reckon its a mixture of 'nature and nurture'. Or rather, a mixture of 'working lines' and 'training by a good dogman'.

Obviously a good dogman training a pup from good working lines is more likely to rear a great dog.

Similarly a bad dogman training a pup from a puppy farm is more likely to struggle to rear a great dog.

However.... a rubbish dogman can mess up a promising pup from good working stock. :doh:

Also....... a great dogman can bring out the best in a pup with no working history. :thumbs:

I've read plenty of posts on here from blokes saying 'so and so sold me a pup and it was shit', only for someone else to post that they had one from the same litter that turned out great, after a bit of time and effort. Just gotta find that mix of nature and nurture i reckon. :thumbs:

too true :thumbs:

• Like 1

im not real sure about this luck thing!and how often to people get lucky? over the years ive worked with a few different types of livestock . not just dogs cattle sheep ,and a few horses and i am fairly well convinced that if you you go for good proven trackrecord breeding the chances are it will end up as good stock ovcourse good husbandry playes a major role .luck well i dont think so a bad choice, of animal is a human error not bad luck and have you got the right tool for the job you want it for , and what are your expectations for the animal, :hmm:

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

yes mate whats the other half to the cross mate obvious 1 half the greyhound yes ?

It5's easy enough to go back thru' my posts........ and you'll see I've allways said I like at least 50% Greyhound in my dogs; as I have now. But not sure why you are suddenly interested in Lurchers ??? Do you own/work any ??

Cheers

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

It5's easy enough to go back thru' my posts........ and you'll see I've allways said I like at least 50% Greyhound in my dogs; as I have now. But not sure why you are suddenly interested in Lurchers ??? Do you own/work any ??

Cheers

Cheers.

yes got 6 pal

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers

Cheers.

yes got 6 pal

Six what ? Do you work them; are they pups; old 'uns, or what ?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Rob, just seen this post.

Firstly thank you for the compliment!!! but it was mainly Roo and not a lot to do with me!

He was hard work to start with training wise, just getting the basics into him was hard enough.

But in the field he taught me, not the other way round. I just gave him the opportunity.

Personally I think he was a really good dog and I'll be struggling not to compare any new dog with what he could do.

As he was from a rescue I don't actually know his breeding, for all we know he could of been from really good breeding but just wasn't given the chance he needed and got handed about?

As has been said already, breeding worker to worker I'm sure will up your chances of getting a working dog but with that said, you still need to put the time and effort into your dogs, let them get the experience needed to do their jobs and give them the chance to show you what they can do, then you've got a real good chance of having a working dog. Well bred or not.