working terriers this time of year

i dont work my terriers this time of year unless i have been asked in order to carry out pest control and keep the land owner happy so i keep the permission but i am just wondering would a terrier be more likely to jack during the summer while it is a lot warmer out and the quarry are more likely to be more aggressive while protecting young and the ground a lot harder and digging takes a lot longer .this question is to the lads in ireland and britain but also to the lads in mainland europe that dig the stuff we dont

Do a fair bit of night digging and it still really takes it out of the dogs on what I would say easy digs! A lot of people don't realise or just don't know that dogs jacking or coming off then going back, is as much 2 do with fitness than anything. And I've seen a few young dogs ruined when there first few digs are in the heat of summer, if there shut up in a kennel during the summer months they cannot be expected to go to war for however many hours giving it there all, anyone who has owned a proper bullx will have seen the difference in a dog when it isn't fit, digging in summer is fine but the terrierman must be experienced to make it work!

L330- Here in the states with people who dig to there dogs, especially in the East the season goes all year round.Hunters might take a week or two off in spring when some of the ground hogs {woodchucks} are having young or to give a dog a rest. So if they are good ones they shouldnt jack ever. If he's quitting in the summer sure are shit going in the winter. IMO

L330- Here in the states with people who dig to there dogs, especially in the East the season goes all year round.Hunters might take a week or two off in spring when some of the ground hogs {woodchucks} are having young or to give a dog a rest. So if they are good ones they shouldnt jack ever. If he's quitting in the summer sure are shit going in the winter. IMO

but i find on the really warm days the dogs find it hard even just out for a walk for an hour or 2 so i reckon a couple of hours under ground working really hard game on a really warm day would be a lot harder work than a cold wet day in the middle of december but would you give up on a dog that came off it's game on a warm day or would you leave it and try again in the winter

Does it take a good one to work a woodchuck?

but i find on the really warm days the dogs find it hard even just out for a walk for an hour or 2 so i reckon a couple of hours under ground working really hard game on a really warm day would be a lot harder work than a cold wet day in the middle of december but would you give up on a dog that came off it's game on a warm day or would you leave it and try again in the winter

I see what your saying. I'm probably using the wrong terms but I'll give it a shot. When a dog in the winter is comming off a season I believe IMO that he's winter blooded. thick blooded and use to the cold temps.I know it dosnt make any sence but bare with me. With the terriers and Sighthounds its takes around 30 days to acclimate to warmer temps to operate in and thin the blood. If the animal is lightly conditioned every day it happens faster, if the dog is kept indoors this dosnt apply often.I've also see terriers in the ground not take the cold well on the first few times out it goes both ways imo.

Does it take a good one to work a woodchuck?

DS-if your working badgers or mice you always want a good one dont ya? I do. chucks are discounted often here and usally comes from those above ground barn hunters wich I have nothing against but they are and can be hard on both dog and the hunter. Like the saying goes there fox and then there is FOX.-Stunt

As someone has already said cubs would run a terrier ragged in a big earth this time of year,also the ground is very dry and hard for diging,not good for a dogs confidence when it cant keep with its quarry to bottle it up.I seen on more than one occasion good dogs get beat by cubs for this reason and unless the digger is prepared to open up holes everywhere to try and narrow down the movement and try and get the cubs blocked off it is hard on a dog,but saying that they should not come away.I dont or wont dig this time of year so not a problem,roll on the winter.

just keep at it mate, if you are going to dig, make sure its a shallow earth so you can get down quick and get the dog out, but as we all know its never that easy :icon_eek:

i dont dig this time of year unless the fox is causing damage but i been at a couple of shows in the last few weeks and listening to lads talking about going out to try young dogs and i was telling them my point of view on the matter that i think they should wait a while but hearing shit like this will sort out the men from the boys and that they want to try them now because they dont want to feed them all summer and then find out they are useless.well i think it will be them that renders them useless

cubs are now on their toes and can make the best of terriers looking stupis also very disheartening for any terrier.

thats true bud.just got in from a cub call out.only got one of the buggers the rest were in and out of the holes to many to net or block as it was a big old brock place.its hot here but its cool underground for the terrier we always got plenty of water with us.

its bad enough now but if your starting again september time its worse , if weve had a good hot summer the ground soaked up all the heat and its hot down there the grounds rock hard i preffer to leave it untill it cools right down and gets a bit wetter

its bad enough now but if your starting again september time its worse , if weve had a good hot summer the ground soaked up all the heat and its hot down there the grounds rock hard i preffer to leave it untill it cools right down and gets a bit wetter

Topper, you must purchase a gimp for most occassions unless you want to hire the gimp i have use of????

welshhound2- £50pw.. :victory: