Top jackers

Only ever had one dog jack, and that was through injury, it took a tumble, checked it over, it seemed fine. Next slip it ran like a labrador and pulled up. Turned out to be torn back muscles. I've had a few good dogs that had jacked with their previous owners, knowing they were good dogs with idiot owners. I've got them right and run them as dogs, not machines , and never had them jack again. I truly believe jackers are made not born. Mike.

Maybe jackers that pull up fella but a dog that jacks on quarry that bites back if a dog refuses to go to something or back to something that has snapped it whats ye theory on that mine is there cowards and lack bottle

That's a different kettle of fish mate, a lot do it because they're over faced to early in life, my theory is if they haven't got the bottle they wouldn't take them in the first place. Another reason dogs jack on bitey stuff is when they are run with unhealed injuries. Mike.

Maybe alot jack over matched when not fully mature mentaly but all dogs mature at different rates so thats down to the owner to decide when the sapling is ready, alot jack on there first outing maybe through poor breeding or simply havent got what it takes some throw in the towel after a good few seasons graft some dogs will work 1 quarry well enough but wont stick to another some blokes work there dogs harder than others and have different standards theres probably blokes on here take 10 to 15 foxes a season and say well ive not had a dog jack then theres blokes that take that number in a month and have had many dogs jack, every dogs as good as its last outing ye never know whats gonna happen on the next one

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only ever had one dog jack, and that was through injury, it took a tumble, checked it over, it seemed fine. Next slip it ran like a labrador and pulled up. Turned out to be torn back muscles. I've had

imo theres nothing funny about a dog jacking,when you brought it up from a pup put all time effot in then jacks is heart breaking knowing you got to start all over again,

"And i think every one will own a couple of jackers and if you dont then you anit pushing your dogs hard enough IMHO"   You really think that? Why do folk always want to push their dogs to breaking

Only ever had one dog jack, and that was through injury, it took a tumble, checked it over, it seemed fine. Next slip it ran like a labrador and pulled up. Turned out to be torn back muscles. I've had a few good dogs that had jacked with their previous owners, knowing they were good dogs with idiot owners. I've got them right and run them as dogs, not machines , and never had them jack again. I truly believe jackers are made not born. Mike.

Maybe jackers that pull up fella but a dog that jacks on quarry that bites back if a dog refuses to go to something or back to something that has snapped it whats ye theory on that mine is there cowards and lack bottle

That's a different kettle of fish mate, a lot do it because they're over faced to early in life, my theory is if they haven't got the bottle they wouldn't take them in the first place. Another reason dogs jack on bitey stuff is when they are run with unhealed injuries. Mike.

Maybe alot jack over matched when not fully mature mentaly but all dogs mature at different rates so thats down to the owner to decide when the sapling is ready, alot jack on there first outing maybe through poor breeding or simply havent got what it takes some throw in the towel after a good few seasons graft some dogs will work 1 quarry well enough but wont stick to another some blokes work there dogs harder than others and have different standards theres probably blokes on here take 10 to 15 foxes a season and say well ive not had a dog jack then theres blokes that take that number in a month and have had many dogs jack, every dogs as good as its last outing ye never know whats gonna happen on the next one

They're all individuals and need to be treated as such, problem is most folk don't have a clue. Mike.

• Like 1

i have to diagree somewhat on that mate, what aboot dogs that pick theyr runs, are they not jackers???

i had a bitch that was a demon to all edible quarry, she was run an run hard, never jacked an done well

on her 5th season, she started picking an choosing runs on all quarry barring roe..... was that jacking??? she was fit an mentally stable enuff to catch rabbots an hares, an my diarys prove this, but why start running hares an rabbits half heartedly???

cos she jacked, sure i could a geed her to somebody that done less work than me, or only run roe, but by my standards she jacked

thats the key to this jacking situation, 1 mans jacker is another mans potfiller :thumbs:

kept collie x,s for mny years the older they got the worse they got for picking there runs , to clever @ to much collie in some of them ..certainly wouldnt say they were jackers ,, but thats the way i looked at it !!

Not exactly a jacking story but a funny one none the less.

Years back me and my mate used to take the odd trip to the cat and dog pound in Cardonald Glasgow, and on occasions we came away with some decent lurchers.

We went this day and our eye was taken by a big rangy Deerhound cross.

Anyway, fast forward to that afternoon and we are sitting waiting for a fox to bolt from an earth in an open field - " a dog like this can't miss this" said my mate optimistically.

The fox bolts with my terrier right on his brush, we let them travel approx 20 yards and he slips the lurcher who proceeded to ignore the fox and pick up my terrier :icon_eek: He'd have killed him too if we hadnt got in there quick.

We decided to give the dog one more chance on the hares, so next morning we were on the moors with him. We gave him a really long slip on the first, he ate up the ground, 3 turns and it was his.

Next one again longish slip and a longer course but he got the upper hand and killed it 10 yards from the safety of a forestry block.

this dog is fvcking unbelievable gushed my mate, I had to agree.

Lets see if he can do 3 out of 3.

Another long slip and he closely follows his Hare over a hill near a farm . . . then nothing. "He killed says my mate" so we runs over the hill and he's got a Ewe by the head :blink:

With 2 farmers bearing down on him with shotguns. We were off like olympic sprinters (funny how fast you can run in wellies when you need to) then we heard the bang and that was the end of him.

The dog could have been something else if brought up by the right person, but at least he went out with a bang. :laugh:

the thread was intended for funny stories of dogs jacking etc we've all had them if were honest ye know the ones where ye have either laughed or hid ye head in shame seems most folk have either had a mate thats had a dog jack or someone eles dog lol come on fellas be truthful ye must of had some dogs throw in the towel on ye

there is not a dog living that wont jack if you over face it, for instance, I have a young dog on my hands at this moment of time,

he is only coming up for 12 months old, only a baby, he stands just over 26" his growing plates,Tendons,and muscles, is not fully developed, at this moment of time, he is still playful, in many ways, yes he can run, but why? would I want to over face that sapling, at his present age, (((

early started, early finished,)) ask a fellow, was last heard off down in Cornwall, he said, his bitch was running, and killing Hares,at 6 months of age, were is she now?? under the clay, so why spoil a promising youngster, for the sake of an extra couple of rabbits, or worse (( done well on there first couple of Hard runs, so they decided to give a good youngster another couple of slips on strong stuff,with out success, and that's how they ruin, good enthusiastic, saplings trying to make them world beaters before, they are properly developed,I have only been on this forum for a

couple of years or just over, and I have never, heard as much talk about Jackers, if you have a good dog and he is doing the job for you, why over face him, why try to break him? a good dog man Knows when his dog has had enough, in days gone by, the only place to prove your dog was in the field, let the dog do the talking, not the Internet, I always believed in leaving a little in the dogs tank for another day,keep them sweet, and they will serve you well, once soured, the beginning of the End, there is No road back,

• Like 1

Maybe alot jack over matched when not fully mature mentaly but all dogs mature at different rates so thats down to the owner to decide when the sapling is ready, alot jack on there first outing maybe through poor breeding or simply havent got what it takes some throw in the towel after a good few seasons graft some dogs will work 1 quarry well enough but wont stick to another some blokes work there dogs harder than others and have different standards theres probably blokes on here take 10 to 15 foxes a season and say well ive not had a dog jack then theres blokes that take that number in a month and have had many dogs jack,""" every dogs as good as its last outing ye never know whats gonna happen on the next one"""

i think you do if it jacked last time...???? just to add ive had loads a jackers if you work them consistently it is deffo going to happen totally agree with you hedz apart from last sentance :tongue2: regards :thumbs:

Maybe alot jack over matched when not fully mature mentaly but all dogs mature at different rates so thats down to the owner to decide when the sapling is ready, alot jack on there first outing maybe through poor breeding or simply havent got what it takes some throw in the towel after a good few seasons graft some dogs will work 1 quarry well enough but wont stick to another some blokes work there dogs harder than others and have different standards theres probably blokes on here take 10 to 15 foxes a season and say well ive not had a dog jack then theres blokes that take that number in a month and have had many dogs jack,""" every dogs as good as its last outing ye never know whats gonna happen on the next one"""

i think you do if it jacked last time...???? just to add ive had loads a jackers if you work them consistently it is deffo going to happen totally agree with you hedz apart from last sentance :tongue2: regards :thumbs:

i possibly didnt word it right or ye didnt see my point fella i ment by the last bit that ye dogs only a good un till the point of jack then it earns the title of jacker

i have to diagree somewhat on that mate, what aboot dogs that pick theyr runs, are they not jackers???

i had a bitch that was a demon to all edible quarry, she was run an run hard, never jacked an done well

on her 5th season, she started picking an choosing runs on all quarry barring roe..... was that jacking??? she was fit an mentally stable enuff to catch rabbots an hares, an my diarys prove this, but why start running hares an rabbits half heartedly???

cos she jacked, sure i could a geed her to somebody that done less work than me, or only run roe, but by my standards she jacked

thats the key to this jacking situation, 1 mans jacker is another mans potfiller :thumbs:

what a dog catches at the end of the night/week counts. what if you have 2 dogs one pics and chooses there runs the other dont. out of 10 slips lets say the dog that dont choose his runs catches 5. the dog that picks his runs only chooses to run 8 of those slips but catches 5 or even 6 out of those runs his he a jacker or a better dog?

what a dog catches at the end of the night/week counts. what if you have 2 dogs one pics and chooses there runs the other dont. out of 10 slips lets say the dog that dont choose his runs catches 5. the dog that picks his runs only chooses to run 8 of those slips but catches 5 or even 6 out of those runs his he a jacker or a better dog?

he is a jacker in this house mate, my dogs will run what i slip them on, not what they choose to run :thumbs:

imo theres nothing funny about a dog jacking,when you brought it up from a pup put all time effot in then jacks is heart breaking knowing you got to start all over again,

all dogs are jackers mate, sorry tae burst yer bubble, ye push them hard enuff an they jack.......................simples

yep any fool can jack a dog,but 7/10 its the owners more than the dog looking for the world beater,dont get me wrong jackers are born but more are made by the owners, i understand people have stanards but these top notch dogs that you can push and push are very few and far apart every dog haves its limits its knowing them

all dogs are jackers mate, sorry tae burst yer bubble, ye push them hard enuff an they jack.......................simples

yep any fool can jack a dog,but 7/10 its the owners more than the dog looking for the world beater,dont get me wrong jackers are born but more are made by the owners, i understand people have stanards but these top notch dogs that you can push and push are very few and far apart every dog haves its limits its knowing them

very true :thumbs::thumbs:

Also mate it's how you push it, take a piece of springy wood for a bow for example, if you bend it gently and slowly you can bend it quite far and get a good shape to it, if you do it roughly and suddenly it will snap. Same with dogs, they are flesh and bone, so some folk will be to do what is neccessary to get them to push and push and push and get them to keep on giving, and others will push too fast too soon and f**k them. I also think the bond between dog and man could play a part, a dog will push itself further and harder for one man than it would for another, just like any other animal.

Also mate it's how you push it, take a piece of springy wood for a bow for example, if you bend it gently and slowly you can bend it quite far and get a good shape to it, if you do it roughly and suddenly it will snap. Same with dogs, they are flesh and bone, so some folk will be to do what is neccessary to get them to push and push and push and get them to keep on giving, and others will push too fast too soon and f**k them. I also think the bond between dog and man could play a part, a dog will push itself further and harder for one man than it would for another, just like any other animal.

So do ye think if ye try a dog on a fallow buck in the rutt and it gets its ass handed to it on a plate then does the walk of shame with its tail between its legs it will go steaming back in because it has a strong bond with ye ??