what motor ?

these tyres a very noisy on the road, which doesnt bother me but when ifuelled up yesterday the mpg had dropped to 19mpg(which does bother me ) will this just be down to the tyres or will there be another reason

try cleaning out the injector's... bit of redex in the tank to clean the exhaust lines.... and every now and then, add hydraulic tappet release into the oil, especially if you use cheap oil.

Also, air fiter is a common one, change it regularly to keep up fuel comsumption. should change oil & filter every 6,000 although this shouldnt effect the mpg. Simply undo the sump plug, oil filter is 2 pipes and one plug in electrical connection usually.

Fuel filter's another one, change every 10,000 its pretty simple, its 4 pipes swap like for like. release the injector pipes from the head and bleed any air out. tighten up.

diesels are fine until they go tits up, then expensive to repair, as i have found out :(

it could also be something simple such as wrong tyre pressure :D

Edited by Rabbithunter

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these tyres a very noisy on the road, which doesnt bother me but when ifuelled up yesterday the mpg had dropped to 19mpg(which does bother me ) will this just be down to the tyres or will there be another reason

try cleaning out the injector's... bit of redex in the tank to clean the exhaust lines.... and every now and then, add hydraulic tappet release into the oil, especially if you use cheap oil.

Also, air fiter is a common one, change it regularly to keep up fuel comsumption. should change oil & filter every 6,000 although this shouldnt effect the mpg. Simply undo the sump plug, oil filter is 2 pipes and one plug in electrical connection usually.

Fuel filter's another one, change every 10,000 its pretty simple, its 4 pipes swap like for like. release the injector pipes from the head and bleed any air out. tighten up.

diesels are fine until they go tits up, then expensive to repair, as i have found out :(

it could also be something simple such as wrong tyre pressure :D

hello mate, its had new air filter and fuel filter just be fore xmas and the oil ,i aquired from the haulage company before i left, the fitter said "if its good enough for a £75,000 scania it'll be good enough for the hilux" the fuel consumption has been a steady 30mpg for 18months its just this last fortnight its dropped to 19mpg so i just assumed it was to do with the tyres, as for correct pressure, well the tyres and wheels were bought as a whole so i assume the pressure will be right because the company fitted them before they delivered, the wheels are abit taller than the original ones so will that affect the speedo and inturn give a false milage,therefore giving a false mpg or am i reading to far into this :)

Nothing at the moment

Aweek before xmas some idiot nicked it and then set fire to it

Only just sorted the insurance out,just glad i had gap on it

got the full £8500 i paid for it 3 years ago so were haveing a look around now :)

it should not effect the speedo, most speedo's are now driven by a little cog wheel around the crank shaft. From this is a wire, sending a digital reading up to you. Thus making it impossible to "clock" the vehicle.

if the mpg has only just dropped, and you have been getting a steady 30 with the same wheels before then i suggest you get service on it. You havent been "hammering" it through gear' have you, this can cause damage to valve's, valve guides, seals and tappets.

try blowing out your injector's mate, the injectors can get quite shit up, if your running around with a quite empty tank. (or get someone to do it for you, if you don't know how)

i was just wandering what every one uses to get about the fields ect....this is my beast 2.5 litres of turbo charged intercooled diesel power...the feckers gets anywhere now ive put the 265s on it :yes:

mottorqa9.jpg

Yeah and I bet it throws all the shit over your motor as does mine with the wider tyres..I also run an old rangerover TD

YEP MADE THE MISSTAKE OF HAVING THE WINDOW OPEN WITH ME ARM AND GUN HANING OUT OF IT FECKING COATED I WAS

Yes it will be mainly down to the tyres I used to run bf goodrich a/t on mine and I lost 5 mpg as soon as I fitted them and those have a much tamer tread pattern than the ones your using now fella,I don't do any crazy offroading with mine so I went back to pirreli scorpion allroad which put the mpg back up to what it was before, these are also nice and quiet on the road :D

i use a vauxhal brava d/cab which i find is just about right for me and my dogs and i also shoot off the roaf when lamping rabbits and fox,s at nigt as for the mpg got 30 to the gallon fitted 205 /16 greenway macho now get about 20 :cry::cry: but the :censored: tryes are magic go any.

i think ive havnt explained my self clearly, ive been getting a constant 30mpg for the last 18month with a set of toyo road tyres on, a tank of fuel lasts me a fortnight, but due to it being crap off road, i fitted the greenways a fortnight ago, the same day i fueled up and this last fortnight the mpg has dropped to 19mpg, i had an idea the drag would drop the mpg but was alarmed to see how much,hope that a bit clearer rabbithunter, thanks for the mechanical info anyway mate cheers hairyface