calling dog back

righto lads my bitch 5 1/2 month half whippet quarter collie and quarter saluki some days comes back no bother other days just runs around in circles, getting me a bit madder i know i,ve got the collie huffiness to contend with plus the aloofness of the saluki tried treats works sometimes, is she a bit young to expect her to come when called been a while since i had a pup any advice is welcome

millybot

righto lads my bitch 5 1/2 month half whippet quarter collie and quarter saluki some days comes back no bother other days just runs around in circles, getting me a bit madder i know i,ve got the collie huffiness to contend with plus the aloofness of the saluki tried treats works sometimes, is she a bit young to expect her to come when called been a while since i had a pup any advice is welcome

millybot

well mate, i know its only a pup and they all play up really at times, but i think you let it get away with to much. Start back with recall with a long lead, do all training on the lead. Only do 5-10 mins, and thats enough :thumbs: If i was you i would have the dog (more) on the lead, then when you loose it off it can play.When its playing and you (want) it back on the lead, try not to call it because you know from the past what will happen. Just walk away from the pup it will clock you, it will go after you . Just get on the floor i know it looks daft lol, but the pup will want have some fun with. When does come over to you , then put on the lead (but) still play with it. :thumbs: When ive had pups got one now 9 month old Tod bullxgrey, i (never) call them back if i dont think they will come to me. Its a waste of time, :thumbdown: once they know they can get away with it they will.! Go back to basics like i said,just go slow with it,one day at a time :thumbs: you will get there in the end

Maybe your dog associates recall with being put back on the lead, try recalling the dog, lots of praise, dont put the lead on, try it, it worked for me

Me? Ah'd just ignore it. Had it pretty bad with one of my old collie greys 25 years ago. Lasted 3 months - 'bout drove me mad did think about shooting it to be honest!!!! Glad I didn't as he turned out to be a 'real' dog. Got 8 month old 3/4 collie grey at the minute and he tried the same thing at 5 months lasted 2/3 weeks - I just ignored him. Had other collie greys tho that've been fine. Never had a dog with Saluki in it - so dunno what odds that makes. Just try ignoring it. Don't get annoyed with it tho? Good luck.

Get it out with other dogs older than it then it's atention will be focused , put it on the lead let it off to play put it on the lead let it off to play then put it on then let it off then yep put it on then yep let it off repeat over and over and over after a few sesions this worked for me as the dog didn't think that going back on the lead was bad as it was going to be let off again , also when walking on a lead stop recall praise stop recall praise stop recall praise repeat repeat on the lead always, will help when off the lead , I found it's more about me learning to as these are my first working dogs , also signall with your arm to call in this saves you s reaming like a banshe then turn to face a corner of a fenced in field and walk towards the corner the dog will go into the corner at which point you are incontrol again as the dog is cornerd , then call it to your feet lead on lots of praise , the corner after time can become bigger and bigger until eventually you will be able to do it in the open , remeber lots of praise and stay calm or the dog will sence this if you can try not to make to much eye contact this will not give the dog any clues as to your mood, and remeber it's not going to happen over night time I'm afraid lots of time repeating and repeating hope this helps atb j,

Edited by Jamie m

hello mate i am training on a 3/4 collie grey at the moment she went through the same thing all i did was keep cool and ride it out, i call it the kevin and perry stage, 3 months it took now she is sound bringing back to hand skin dummies perfect recall keep the faith bro, i cant wait for the lamping season to try her out, dont get hot headed it just makes it worse the dog will think its a game and do it more, ive seen people tell the dog off when they get it back this is most peoples mistake never no matter what dont bollock it when it returns, go to it to bollock it thats if you can catch it!!! bloody pups good luck

hello mate i am training on a 3/4 collie grey at the moment she went through the same thing all i did was keep cool and ride it out, i call it the kevin and perry stage, 3 months it took now she is sound bringing back to hand skin dummies perfect recall keep the faith bro, i cant wait for the lamping season to try her out, dont get hot headed it just makes it worse the dog will think its a game and do it more, ive seen people tell the dog off when they get it back this is most peoples mistake never no matter what dont bollock it when it returns, go to it to bollock it thats if you can catch it!!! bloody pups good luck

will take all advise on board thanks but it,s been a while since i had a pup no older dog to help so will try all advice and try not to blow my top but it,s infurriating when the bitch wont come back