Today's haul...

Now then,

As I said in my last post, I haven't had a chance to get out much lately.

One of my favourite permissions has been overlooked slightly. It's a big house that a friend (my missus' best friend) lives in. As we're friends, I've been to the house a few times lately without my rifle, and had notice that the rabbit number seemed to be increasing! I resolved to have a look this morning.

I arrived at about 7.15, and loaded my Ultra as soon as I got into the drive, and opened the passenger side window. I know from experience that there's often a bunny sitting on that side, and sure enough there was. I dropped the first one without even turning the ignition off!

After that one was collected and I'd parked, I had a go at another at about 35 yards. Clean missed it, no explanations. Little walk round the house and I got my second one. 40 yarder, resting my left arm on the corner of the wall, and rifle across my forearm. Decided then to sit and wait.

Didn't have to wait long when I heard some crashing through the nettles...a couple of bunnies playing. One of them showed itself not 15 yards in front of me, and stopped. It was facing away, so the back of it's head was the only available target. The shot was true, and the bunny rolled over without a kick.

I started to get a little cramp, so went for a wonder, and I noticed a rook at about 45 yards up high in a tree. Gave it half a mil-dot holdover, and it dropped like a stone.

I then realised that there were several branchers around...perfect I thought, my luck was in! I forgot all about the rabbits and shot a further four. I had a few misses where pellets struck twigs etc. One of the rooks got stuck in the tree. I gave it a couple more shots - both to try and get it down, but also to make sure it was definitely dead!

At this point, I had completely run out of pellets! I only went with a 20 odd, so I called it a day.

Total bag 3 rabbits, 4 rooks (+ 1 unretrievable).

Here's the photo

rooksandrabbits.jpg

Working from home again tomorrow, so I'm going to take the R10 and see if I can do some more damage to the branchers before they move on!

Thanks for the replies fellas, was a good hour that's for sure.

As for rook pie? F that. Eating rook does not in any way appeal to me! Hoping for a decent bag in the morning to fill the ferret's freezer- they're not as fussy as me!

Hopefully have something to report tomorrow!

Ron.

Nice shooting Ron, hoping to get back to my permission soon, got a new toy and will write a report on it, a Longridge Pinpoint rangefinder, found by the esteemable Mrs mole on ebay for just £70, that with the Hawke Map means I can now shoot long distance bunnies more accurately!