just reading through some of the posts on here -- i asked my self the question is thr a future for terrier work in the next say 20 year .. some of the younger generation of digging lads are either clueless or know it all i know of a lot of older digging men who have packed up in the last couple of year a lot due to health and some for the way the games gone .. question for the older lads how much longer do you see yourself in the game - have you or intend to give the game up ? and the younger lads is the future safe in your hands ? thrs countless people that have done a lot of hard work to promote terrierwork work in the right way -- i dont want to single people out but is thr a b .w. of the future is the future of the fmwtc and other clubs gonna be safe in the hands of these younger lads ..

what gives you the right to say that and put people you have never met down, the clueless ones the older lads should be helping not jumping down there throat putting them down like nearly everyone does on this site, and who cares if someone has a mouth on them that doesnt make them a bad dog man, everyone acts like fuking rambo on this site anyway lol. is the future of terrier work safe in your hands ffs, you clever fukers made it illegal by arssing about putting foxes in bags for the hunt etc, so thanks for that now everytime i go out with the dogs im lookt at like a fukin criminal :censored:

this threads a joke :thumbdown:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a young lad who has been coming to help me as often as he can,he's been doing all the "gopher stuff" for the last 2 season's and is keen as mustard,he's still only 17 but has proved hiself so

Not many young lads have the heart for terrierwork. instead, their more interested in alcopops, smoking, drugs and being lippy little fecks of hunting forums...

I seriously considered giving up about 10 year ago when all my dogs were stolen,its very hard to come back from that when it happens and i would not wish it on anyone,but i kept goin and i dug with a

Posted Images

just reading through some of the posts on here -- i asked my self the question is thr a future for terrier work in the next say 20 year .. some of the younger generation of digging lads are either clueless or know it all i know of a lot of older digging men who have packed up in the last couple of year a lot due to health and some for the way the games gone .. question for the older lads how much longer do you see yourself in the game - have you or intend to give the game up ? and the younger lads is the future safe in your hands ? thrs countless people that have done a lot of hard work to promote terrierwork work in the right way -- i dont want to single people out but is thr a b .w. of the future is the future of the fmwtc and other clubs gonna be safe in the hands of these younger lads ..

good post stig.

i hope it gets a bit of interest dd -- some of the lads on here jump on some threads giving bollocks about who bred what and how these and that lines are/were maybe its time to give the future of terrier work some thought and not the past .. the shows get thr knockers but apart from anything shows do promote terrier work and are a way of keeping youngsters involved ---

I seriously considered giving up about 10 year ago when all my dogs were stolen,its very hard to come back from that when it happens and i would not wish it on anyone,but i kept goin and i dug with a mate of mine using his dogs NEIL.COONEY thanks neil for all the help back then and now i have a few workers and a couple untried for this season.As for the younger generation there is some descent young lads about who want to learn the right way.A lot of the fault is that they have not got the same freedom to dig as we had so they do as they can.Also a lot are geting ripped off buying dogs that are shite for big money.There is a young chap just across the way from me that paid £500 for what he was told a working dog that was useless and the same young lad never even got a trial with it,needless to say no money back,so that would turn a lot of the young lads off but he then went a got a couple of pups which he shall have ready for this season so with a bit of luck he will get there.I think terrier work has to be in your blood or you wont stay at it,not nice on a cold winters evening and you diging down to a terrier maybe in the dark and all your mates are in the pup enjoying themselves,but i would'nt swap it for the world.Terrier work is the same as any other sport,you will always have mouthy know all pricks young and old,but the best thing to do is give them a wide berth and let them talk shite to someone that wants to listen.

i think ur spot on with alot that uv said fat man, ive seen young lads down my way come into the digging scene lately, some are mouthy little know it alls who want to have good terriers now and will throw away money after money to get one but in reality they wouldnt know a good terrier from a bad un, and because of this they sometimes (thankfully) dont stay in the sport.. Then uv got the lad who want to learn and do right by the sport but sometimes maybe work or studies or a change of lifestyle diverts them away from terriers.. Then u have the lads that have a real passion for the sport and more importantly i think a passion for terriers, who will see the sport through to the next generation.. But all to many older generation terriermen are unwilling to bring younger lads out these and show em the rights and wrongs and gain from there experience.. Maybe thats why our sport is faultering..

...Pa

a lot of guys as well equate big money with good dogs-can be true but not always the case..Also guys getting said and led by their girlfriends (anti or uninformed types) loses a lot of young fellas to the sport-cities creeping out into the country could have something to do with that.

what gives you the right to say that and put people you have never met down, the clueless ones the older lads should be helping not jumping down there throat putting them down like nearly everyone does on this site, and who cares if someone has a mouth on them that doesnt make them a bad dog man, everyone acts like fuking rambo on this site anyway lol. is the future of terrier work safe in your hands ffs, you clever fukers made it illegal by arssing about putting foxes in bags for the hunt etc, so thanks for that now everytime i go out with the dogs im lookt at like a fukin criminal :censored:

i think ur gettin a bit carried away there terrier man, but i do see ur point that on here theres too much egotists puttin down young lads or inexperienced lads for postin what the egotists see as stupid posts or questions but the young or inexperienced lads see as a valid question jst needing a simple answer..

the right to say what ?? been in the terrier game over 30 years met many a clueless and know all young lad along the way -- i was one myself many years ago :tongue2: -- i had the privaledge of learning from some decent lads so it was mouth shut and all ears for me took me 10 year to gain the respect of the people i learnt from .. the thread was`nt aimed at anyone in particuler just a general thread for older and younger terrier men to put thr views across ... i dont think the thread will turn out to be a joke -- but w`ell see ;)

I seriously considered giving up about 10 year ago when all my dogs were stolen,its very hard to come back from that when it happens and i would not wish it on anyone,but i kept goin and i dug with a mate of mine using his dogs NEIL.COONEY thanks neil for all the help back then and now i have a few workers and a couple untried for this season.As for the younger generation there is some descent young lads about who want to learn the right way.A lot of the fault is that they have not got the same freedom to dig as we had so they do as they can.Also a lot are geting ripped off buying dogs that are shite for big money.There is a young chap just across the way from me that paid £500 for what he was told a working dog that was useless and the same young lad never even got a trial with it,needless to say no money back,so that would turn a lot of the young lads off but he then went a got a couple of pups which he shall have ready for this season so with a bit of luck he will get there.I think terrier work has to be in your blood or you wont stay at it,not nice on a cold winters evening and you diging down to a terrier maybe in the dark and all your mates are in the pup enjoying themselves,but i would'nt swap it for the world.Terrier work is the same as any other sport,you will always have mouthy know all pricks young and old,but the best thing to do is give them a wide berth and let them talk shite to someone that wants to listen.

i think ur spot on with alot that uv said fat man, ive seen young lads down my way come into the digging scene lately, some are mouthy little know it alls who want to have good terriers now and will throw away money after money to get one but in reality they wouldnt know a good terrier from a bad un, and because of this they sometimes (thankfully) dont stay in the sport.. Then uv got the lad who want to learn and do right by the sport but sometimes maybe work or studies or a change of lifestyle diverts them away from terriers.. Then u have the lads that have a real passion for the sport and more importantly i think a passion for terriers, who will see the sport through to the next generation.. But all to many older generation terriermen are unwilling to bring younger lads out these and show em the rights and wrongs and gain from there experience.. Maybe thats why our sport is faultering..

...Pa

a lot of guys as well equate big money with good dogs-can be true but not always the case..Also guys getting said and led by their girlfriends (anti or uninformed types) loses a lot of young fellas to the sport-cities creeping out into the country could have something to do with that.

media from the misinformed and uneducated play a big in that tinytiger, it paints a bad picture on young lads starting out..

begs another question --- the way the terrier game is now how many of you would how many of you would take a 14 year old digging and run the risk of him going to school and telling all his mates .. i helped dig my first fox at 12 year old with a man called alan dodd a local miner who had a small holding and the fox was taking his chickens - me and a mate used to rat the sewage works and tip with pups my old man had from him --- how many of you would let your kids go into the woods at 12 yr old with someone these days ...

Edited by the_stig

I think the older lads in the game personally are to tightly nit to let strangers in in the form of younguns who want to start diggin fortunatly my mate same age had some good terriers and i managed a pup dont think ive ever once been diggin with and older experienced terrierman just all lads the same age as me i tried to get out with older lads but they always shrug me off as if i am not welcome never once get and invite also permission never gotten it problies never will work my dog enywere i can ... unfortunatly no older lads will help then thats what you have to do i personally feel that if you wnat the younger generation to stop being lippy know it all arseholes then why not take out young keen willing lads and teatch them how to behave ?

• Like 2

begs another question --- the way the terrier game is now how many of you would how many of you would take a 14 year old digging and run the risk of him going to school and telling all his mates .. i helped dig my first fox at 12 year old with a man called alan dodd a local miner who had a small holding and the fox was taking his chickens - me and a mate used to rat the sewage works and tip with pups my old man had from him --- how many of you would let your kids go into the woods with at 12 yr old with someone these days ...

we would and do bring along a young lad on some if not most diggin outings.. and before him i was diggin wit a young lad who is turnin into a good terrierman, but is currently in college so his diggin is a bit limited at the moment.. So yes id be prepared to give a decent lad a days diggin on certain occasions

I've got a young lad who has been coming to help me as often as he can,he's been doing all the "gopher stuff" for the last 2 season's and is keen as mustard,he's still only 17 but has proved hiself so i've just given him a 2nd season dog that has done a couple of dozen decent dig's,the lad is chuffed to bit's and cant wait untill next season so he can use his own dog!!! The main differance with him is he want's to learn and do the job to the best of his ability!!!!!..... a pleasant change or what????????????

• Like 3

Stando its a shame there aren't more like you but I can understand the lads who have done it before & had their fingers burnt therefore wont give young'uns the time of day. Last thing anyone want would be losing permission or at worst landing up in trouble with the law because of some little prick

The few youngish lads i know of that get into digging for about a week then get bored think its all about having a terrier that looks the toughest that will probably get chewed up after a dig and look shit hot at the shows.

There are a few youngsters who are into the game, me being one of them. My younger brother is a keeper and is picking up a pup next weekend after digging to my terrier throughout last season on his shoot.

Id like to add that not all of the older guys in the game are saints though. I know of one guy who has been digging for his whole life and is still in the old school way of thinking that if one dog cant do the job, chuck another in. Iv dug to his dogs andd they can do the job single handed. I guess its just the way they used to do it :thumbs:

begs another question --- the way the terrier game is now how many of you would how many of you would take a 14 year old digging and run the risk of him going to school and telling all his mates .. i helped dig my first fox at 12 year old with a man called alan dodd a local miner who had a small holding and the fox was taking his chickens - me and a mate used to rat the sewage works and tip with pups my old man had from him --- how many of you would let your kids go into the woods at 12 yr old with someone these days ...

i take my 4 year ole lad an his mates oot often doing allsorts a fieldsports :thumbs:

Stando its a shame there aren't more like you but I can understand the lads who have done it before & had their fingers burnt therefore wont give young'uns the time of day. Last thing anyone want would be losing permission or at worst landing up in trouble with the law because of some little prick

Well i thought long and hard before i gave him the dog on the understanding that the dog comes back to me if he dosent stick at it!!!

I think all you can do is try and help the youngster's but at the end of the day they need to help themselves aswell!!!!!!!!!

Here you are the way how you can teach the new generation:

First of all tell him how to do it:

DSC_0231.jpg

give him some pencake as motivation:

DSC_0224.jpg

and he's gonna do alone:

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

after some time re-check his memory:

4.jpg

and if can't, show him again:

1.jpg

and again:

2.jpg

and at last try to give the 'terrier virus' to your mate's son too:

3.jpg

I think the future of the terrier game this way.

Edited by NBW Terrier