Ballywalter Game & Country Living Fair

This was my first trip to Ballywalter since it has been taken over by albert j and his company and the lurcher and terrier events run by the mid antrim club I wont be back. The number of classes was ridiculous ladies class and gentlemens class no credibility and the show went on far too long this needs to change, the basic classes at any lurcher show are sufficent to produce a show winner, and the racing early in the morning is also a good idea, the location is somewhat improved from when it used to be squashed in front of the big house but the race track is far too shortI had to leave before the racing even began as for the fair itself the stalls were poor and low in number the food hall was also disappointing with the exception of the crepe man. I went with £200 in my pocket and left with £180. I think shanes castle is a good fair as is moira and Ballinlough I wont be back at Ballywalter other than a bit of craic with my friends it was a waste of petrol and time. I realsie that Albert and his company do alot of hard work and no other game fair event manager is doing more for lurcher and terrier events but Ballywalter has a long way to go to come up to par with the other game and country fairs.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Gamefair at Ballywalter on Sunday. For me it was one of the biggest turnouts i have seen at a lurcher event in Northern Ireland for a number of years. It also seems that whippets are on th

Posted Images

This was my first trip to Ballywalter since it has been taken over by albert j and his company and the lurcher and terrier events run by the mid antrim club I wont be back. The number of classes was ridiculous ladies class and gentlemens class no credibility and the show went on far too long this needs to change, the basic classes at any lurcher show are sufficent to produce a show winner, and the racing early in the morning is also a good idea, the location is somewhat improved from when it used to be squashed in front of the big house but the race track is far too shortI had to leave before the racing even began as for the fair itself the stalls were poor and low in number the food hall was also disappointing with the exception of the crepe man. I went with £200 in my pocket and left with £180. I think shanes castle is a good fair as is moira and Ballinlough I wont be back at Ballywalter other than a bit of craic with my friends it was a waste of petrol and time. I realsie that Albert and his company do alot of hard work and no other game fair event manager is doing more for lurcher and terrier events but Ballywalter has a long way to go to come up to par with the other game and country fairs.

Skinny,

While everyone is entitled to their opinion on anything for you to claim Ballywalter was inferior to Ballinlough is absolute rubbish. The attendance last year on the Saturday at Ballinlough demonstrated its lack of appeal. I would accept it was smaller than Moira but if anything the stands were better quality. Taking the stable yard alone are you seriously claiming the Firefly shop with guns and good quality clothing; The Smyths Shop majoring on Barbour and Guns; the huge gun display By Donal Mc Cloy; the Redmills Stand; the Flogas Game & Cookery display; the Wildebeeste Embroidery Stand; Glennoo Shoot & Fishery; Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine;the Mortins Game Seed stand; the BASC Marquee; Ingrid Houwers Taxidermy; Atkinsons Game Rearing Equipment; International artist David L Prescott and the three sisters Gallery were 'low quality'stands.

Moving outside the Dubarry Clothing Stand; Ultimate; Bannside Leisure; Tidepool Decoys; The Binocular Outlet; Charlie Keenan; Corbietion Enterprises; Duck Dri; Pigeon Decoys;Philpotts; Edinburgh Clothing plus the large Fisherman's Row - ALL QUALITY STANDS The food hall was excellent from the best fish display I have ever seen at any fair - incidently the CREPE stand was NOT in the Food Hall it was outside and no where near the Food Hall!

My own ranking of the fairs is Shanes, Birr, Moira, Ballywalter & Ballinough and the attendance demonstrated would appear to agree with me.

Your point about the lateness of the finish has been taken and if we run T&Ls at Ballywalter over one day will be addressed by an earlier start.

AlbertJ

AlbertJ

If you're going to start debating what's a whippet and what isn't the way to go is dogs with reg papers only, it's up to the organisers what races in what class, it was a fantastic turnout of whippets, with some very good fast races. I enjoyed it, the only thing I would say is that show organisers start to take into account the number of whippets being raced and shown, I reckon there were as many, if not more, whippets than terriers.

The number of whippets caught us by surprise but will be dealt with in my re-organisation of the terrier & lurcher events.

Skinny,

While everyone is entitled to their opinion on anything for you to claim Ballywalter was inferior to Ballinlough is absolute rubbish. The attendance last year on the Saturday at Ballinlough demonstrated its lack of appeal. I would accept it was smaller than Moira but if anything the stands were better quality. Taking the stable yard alone are you seriously claiming the Firefly shop with guns and good quality clothing; The Smyths Shop majoring on Barbour and Guns; the huge gun display By Donal Mc Cloy; the Redmills Stand; the Flogas Game & Cookery display; the Wildebeeste Embroidery Stand; Glennoo Shoot & Fishery; Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine;the Mortins Game Seed stand; the BASC Marquee; Ingrid Houwers Taxidermy; Atkinsons Game Rearing Equipment; International artist David L Prescott and the three sisters Gallery were 'low quality'stands.

Moving outside the Dubarry Clothing Stand; Ultimate; Bannside Leisure; Tidepool Decoys; The Binocular Outlet; Charlie Keenan; Corbietion Enterprises; Duck Dri; Pigeon Decoys;Philpotts; Edinburgh Clothing plus the large Fisherman's Row - ALL QUALITY STANDS The food hall was excellent from the best fish display I have ever seen at any fair - incidently the CREPE stand was NOT in the Food Hall it was outside and no where near the Food Hall!

My own ranking of the fairs is Shanes, Birr, Moira, Ballywalter & Ballinough and the attendance demonstrated would appear to agree with me.

Your point about the lateness of the finish has been taken and if we run T&Ls at Ballywalter over one day will be addressed by an earlier start.

AlbertJ

AlbertJ

well we went up albert and had a good days craic round the rings,there you go already bringing other events into it.this is your second year at ballywalter last year was the second year of ballinlough and the lurcher and terriers were on sunday at it.sorry but comparing the two i vote ballinlough to edge it and its not perfect yet either. im nothing to do with any shows so im unbiased and im not running you down either as i understand it must take alot of work to pull of these shows,bottom line is if the club running the dogs cant sort them selves out and run the thing then its time you maybe replaced them with one that can,a club should be walking in there on the day of a show and know the job,they have been at it long enough to know by now.you shouldnt hear tell of them on the day and your bound to be sick of pulling them out by now.i mean when i say well done on the fair.i couldnt honestly care if there was 5 stalls at it so i wont coment on them thats your side of things but its the dogs i went for.so heres to hoping shanes will be a massive improvment on the dog side.good luck

If you're going to start debating what's a whippet and what isn't the way to go is dogs with reg papers only, it's up to the organisers what races in what class, it was a fantastic turnout of whippets, with some very good fast races. I enjoyed it, the only thing I would say is that show organisers start to take into account the number of whippets being raced and shown, I reckon there were as many, if not more, whippets than terriers.

The number of whippets caught us by surprise but will be dealt with in my re-organisation of the terrier & lurcher events.

Was at the show and have to agree there was a lot of whippets on show. I'd suggest next year that they have a separate show ring the same as the terriers. It would greatly reduce the time it takes for the showing overall as i think this year took a wee bit too long. Still a good day out with plenty to do and see. :thumbs:

Edited by NOOK/ANNA

Skinny,

AlbertJ

AlbertJ

well we went up albert and had a good days craic round the rings,there you go already bringing other events into it.this is your second year at ballywalter last year was the second year of ballinlough and the lurcher and terriers were on sunday at it.sorry but comparing the two i vote ballinlough to edge it and its not perfect yet either. im nothing to do with any shows so im unbiased and im not running you down either as i understand it must take alot of work to pull of these shows,bottom line is if the club running the dogs cant sort them selves out and run the thing then its time you maybe replaced them with one that can,a club should be walking in there on the day of a show and know the job,they have been at it long enough to know by now.you shouldnt hear tell of them on the day and your bound to be sick of pulling them out by now.i mean when i say well done on the fair.i couldnt honestly care if there was 5 stalls at it so i wont coment on them thats your side of things but its the dogs i went for.so heres to hoping shanes will be a massive improvment on the dog side.good luck

Kegs,

If you look at the post you will see Skinny 'brought other events into it' and I was answering the point. You are entitled to your opinion BUT I was making the point that Ballywalter had more stands and better quality stands and a larger attendance than Ballinlough - thats not an opinion that is fact. I was objecting to Skinny saying our stands were of low quality - they were not.

Regarding terriers & lurchers I did not see them at Ballinlough but I find it hard to believe that there were more terrier & lurchers there. Yes there were some teehing problems with the show at Ballywalter this year with Seamus, Anne and Stan unwell and other members of the Mid Antrim unavailablr meaning Matt had to run it single handed. But the prizes were good , the judging fair and some excellent dogs there. This will be tidied up for Ballywalter next year and of course Shanes this year with The All Ireland Championships and the Master Mc Grath final will have great prizes and great competition.

Albertj

PS glad you made it to Ballywalter if you're at Shanes intriduce yourself

Was at the show and have to agree there was a lot of whippets on show. I'd suggest next year that they have a separate show ring the same as the terriers. It would greatly reduce the time it takes for the showing overall as i think this year took a wee bit too long. Still a good day out with plenty to do and see. :thumbs:

Will be re-organised for next year and for Shanes Castle!

skinny said it was inferior to the other three fairs which it is.the saturday at ballinlough didnt have the dog events on same as saturday at ballywalter and although not there there wasnt any differance in attendance from what i was told,3 stalls told me the ground was empty of people at 5pm.ballinlough on sunday last year had as many as ballywalter had when the dogs were on.ive heard you say in the past that the lurchers and terriers are only a small part of the show :blink: sunday at ballywalter at least a third if not more at that were lurcher and terrier people,again well done on the fair its nothing to do with it.mid antrim did what they always do grab the money and run.caught out by whippets :doh: whippets have been increasing at shows over the last 4 years so to think that they can run dogs and bitches in the same class shows how much notice they take of whats happening.if bread sits in the cupboard to long it goes stale abit like that club.some of them may have been unable to attend on the day but they have a year to organise the classes and such so this shouldnt make any great differance on the day.i know sheamus has been unwell and i hope he gets well soon

skinny said it was inferior to the other three fairs which it is.the saturday at ballinlough didnt have the dog events on same as saturday at ballywalter and although not there there wasnt any differance in attendance from what i was told,3 stalls told me the ground was empty of people at 5pm.ballinlough on sunday last year had as many as ballywalter had when the dogs were on.ive heard you say in the past that the lurchers and terriers are only a small part of the show :blink: sunday at ballywalter at least a third if not more at that were lurcher and terrier people,again well done on the fair its nothing to do with it.mid antrim did what they always do grab the money and run.caught out by whippets :doh: whippets have been increasing at shows over the last 4 years so to think that they can run dogs and bitches in the same class shows how much notice they take of whats happening.if bread sits in the cupboard to long it goes stale abit like that club.some of them may have been unable to attend on the day but they have a year to organise the classes and such so this shouldnt make any great differance on the day.i know sheamus has been unwell and i hope he gets well soon

Kegs I'm with you but I dared to give my opinion yesterday and like you it was twisted so much so that without my knowing I have become a game fair organiser. God help us!! There are just some people who have to have the last word so here's TWO words for them - MOIRA, BALLINLOUGH !!!! Get over them! Like the other shows they are here to stay and long may they all continue to do so! :thumbs:

i dont really no what all the fuss is about so what if it was running abit behind the sun was out and the crack was good definitly go back next year :toast:

I have to agree with you lurcherdave :thumbs: i was out for the day and in no hurry home :D

Kegs,

We were delighted with the turnout of Terriers & Lurchers at Ballywalter but your claim that they made up over one third of the crowd is rather exaggerated. We actually know from the gate what % of the overall crowd were made up by T&L owners and Clay Shooters. Both had high attendance and certainly there were vastly more shooters at Ballywalter than Ballinlough! BUT both were far outweighed by the general sporting public, gundog enthusiasts and anglers.

I attach a photo taken by me at 4.00pm on the Saturday when there were NO terriers & lurcher events. And this was just the crowd round the arena watching Keith Mathews. If they and all the other people on the site were clear by 5.00pm as you say 'someone TOLD you' they must all have been like nightlamper pretty nifty on their feet and sprinted out! He claimed to have whizzed round 130 stands collecting his family on the way, had lunch, watched the arena, the clays and the terrier & lurchers, visited the stableyard and all the other attractions and been 'done and dusted ' in a hour!

post-35212-0-96125300-1304495939_thumb.jpg

Went to the Gamefair at Ballywalter on Sunday. For me it was one of the biggest turnouts i have seen at a lurcher event in Northern Ireland for a number of years. It also seems that whippets are on the up compared to previous years. As usual you will always have those who have their complaints. Albert has said that changes may be made for future events that he is involved with to make them better and bigger, even to the point of stating that if the Mid Antrim Terrier and Lurcher Club are not in a position to cope then something may need to change. There are terrier and lurcher folk from Northern Ireland on this forum who have been to the biggest terrier and lurcher events all over the UK, surely your input from your experiences when attending these events cannot go without consideration. Why not use this opportunity to voice your opinion to improve the standard of terrier and lurcher events that are run at Ballywalter, Birr and Shanes Castle. It can only mean the better for all who are involved whether it be organisers or competitors.

• Like 1

Kegs,

We were delighted with the turnout of Terriers & Lurchers at Ballywalter but your claim that they made up over one third of the crowd is rather exaggerated. We actually know from the gate what % of the overall crowd were made up by T&L owners and Clay Shooters. Both had high attendance and certainly there were vastly more shooters at Ballywalter than Ballinlough! BUT both were far outweighed by the general sporting public, gundog enthusiasts and anglers.

I attach a photo taken by me at 4.00pm on the Saturday when there were NO terriers & lurcher events. And this was just the crowd round the arena watching Keith Mathews. If they and all the other people on the site were clear by 5.00pm as you say 'someone TOLD you' they must all have been like nightlamper pretty nifty on their feet and sprinted out! He claimed to have whizzed round 130 stands collecting his family on the way, had lunch, watched the arena, the clays and the terrier & lurchers, visited the stableyard and all the other attractions and been 'done and dusted ' in a hour!

albert as i said i couldnt give a knackers if there were 3 or 300 stalls bottom line is the showing and racing were again left wanting and all you do is pick out the bits that suit you,this was never ment as a post against the fair in general but if you ask opinions youre goin to get good and bad news and you have to take both,maybe admitting every once in a while that things arent as good as you said they were would get you less stick but its your willingness to jump on other events that gets me at every turn.anyway ill be up at shanes and we will see.Y.I.S kegs

Kegs,

albert as i said i couldnt give a knackers if there were 3 or 300 stalls bottom line is the showing and racing were again left wanting and all you do is pick out the bits that suit you,this was never ment as a post against the fair in general but if you ask opinions youre goin to get good and bad news and you have to take both,maybe admitting every once in a while that things arent as good as you said they were would get you less stick but its your willingness to jump on other events that gets me at every turn.anyway ill be up at shanes and we will see.Y.I.S kegs

Kegs,

I am happy to take criticism and act on it - I have acted on a great deal of the suggestions on this forum.

With Seamus being ill and others in the MA unavailable Matt Lee had to put the event together at short notice- we could not plan for illness. The show and racing while it ran over time was a success especially against the backdrop of last minute hiccups. The judging was good and the prizes were well received.

I have said I will deal with the problems over a late start and over the whippet classes - and in fact I met with the Lees this morning to discuss matters for Shanes Castle and Birr Castle. I have also been in discussions with other individuals and clubs. I can't do anything to change the past but I can the future!

I don't think you are aware why there is a little bad blood with the organisers of Moira and Ballinlough but when my book on the fairs comes out next year you will see why it would be impossible for me to work in tandem with them.

It is certainly not because I am worried about them being there - in fact I rather like this because it gives a basis for comparison and I am cerainly not afraid of 'copies' or someone who appears to want 'to tap into the success' of our brands. If they are so successful it does appear rather funny that they should appear to want to tap into our brand names and registered trade marks of Irish Game Fair and Irish Game & Country Fair rather than promote their own brand names - I have no desire whatsover to try to tap into the 'success' of theirs!

What you appear not to recognise is that at least one of the organisers goes on forums under an alias( es) to apparently foment problems for us and under these aliases is apparently not slow to criticise ours and other people's shows.

He has registered on twitter under our brand name 'irishgamefair' and had used this until we took action against him to criticise lots of organisations including BASC :

I quote "Rain again in Ireland. BASC are already washed out at their game fair and there is a week to go! Silly sods they should stick to membership1:00 PM Apr 27th from we

Such a wet week last week. BASC game fair a complete wash out at weekend according to visitors. Much too early in Ireland for a game fair3:39 AM May 4th from web " If that is jumping on another event and fellow country sports people I don't know what is!

I am not 'always jumping on other events' but reserve the right to defend our events against unfair, unfounded or fomented criticism and from attacks from competitors who apparently haven't the 'balls' to use their own name.

Look forward to seeing you at Shanes or Mourne if you are there please do introduce yourself.

Albertj