• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your not the one who has to feed them and look after them so why worry about what others have...............

cause there is now way you could work that many dogs imo,but each to there own

i got 3 at the mo. but got mates with loads what does it matter to anyone else how many dogs someone has as long as they look after and care for them properly.surely thats the main thing .

theres no way you could have one dog and run everything the lamp falls on 3-4 times a week.

Sorry matey, but that statement is totally untrue, theres a few lads that have and do :thumbs:

iv run same dog everynight for 3/4/5 nites a week, not many last tho, 3 seasons is a long time for 1 dog doing a lot imo :thumbs:

I would say that it sorts the wheat from the chaff, imho theres not many people have the work to work one dog absolutely to the max.......they just dont have the time, the fuel money, the right ground or many other reasons.

Most owners would tire long before they could give a good dog all it can handle, its the shite that its easy to spew :thumbs:

Guest dances

theres no way you could have one dog and run everything the lamp falls on 3-4 times a week.

Sorry matey, but that statement is totally untrue, theres a few lads that have and do :thumbs:

iv run same dog everynight for 3/4/5 nites a week, not many last tho, 3 seasons is a long time for 1 dog doing a lot imo :thumbs:

I would say that it sorts the wheat from the chaff, imho theres not many people have the work to work one dog absolutely to the max.......they just dont have the time, the fuel money, the right ground or many other reasons.

Most owners would tire long before they could give a good dog all it can handle, its the shite that its easy to spew :thumbs:

yh but how sore can you try the dog? 3 nights of work? more? and its only my house in my team that have the dogs like, the other lads come out but we use my dogs and your correct on the spew comment for sure

yh but how sore can you try the dog? 3 nights of work? more?

My take on it would be, it depends what you mean by "sore".......does that mean an obvious sign of injury, limping, bad bruising etc or just thats its been out a couple of nights and the owner thinks it needs a rest?

If the stoppers were showing signs of damage but no limping, I would treat them and tape them up and keep going.

If there were no obvious bad injurys, I would think nothing of just keeping going......not saying that everyone should think that way, but I do :thumbs:

That ok saying that you have same dog out 3,4,5 nights a week will sort out the wheat from the chaff but dogs need a break there animals not machines.That prop why you dont have a dog that does not last 3 seasons its called bad ownership

That ok saying that you have same dog out 3,4,5 nights a week will sort out the wheat from the chaff but dogs need a break there animals not machines.That prop why you dont have a dog that does not last 3 seasons its called bad ownership

Fair enough, your opinion and I respect that....imho, 5 nights a week should not be too much for a good dog and if it cant manage that then its ordinary......all the very best dogs I have seen get the work smashed into them and seem to thrive on it.

Its just an opinion and its a free one

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. :thumbs:

Fair enough, your opinion and I respect that....imho, 5 nights a week should not be too much for a good dog and if it cant manage that then its ordinary......all the very best dogs I have seen get the work smashed into them and seem to thrive on it.

There are lots of people out there 5 days a week with there dogs but as l said you have to know when a dog needs a break no dog imo can do that right though a season.

Its like when the season is over a people still run and feed there dog the same as they do during a season .I don't see the point.

There are lots of people out there 5 days a week with there dogs but as l said you have to know when a dog needs a break no dog imo can do that right though a season.

Its like when the season is over a people still run and feed there dog the same as they do during a season .I don't see the point.

I agree with you totally matey, but a couple of days off for a fit dog should be enough dont you think?....if it has obvious injury then thats a different story.

:thumbs:

the only problem with working dogs

is that if you think one dogs enough

for hunting just be prepared to end up with nothing

i always taught 1 was enough even tough i kept 3 running dogs

i now just have 1 old bitch and pups when things are going right 1 is plenty

but if your having bad luck like i am 3 is never enough

alot depends on breeding in dogs too and how much they try

and of course the land you hunt

mack

imo theres a big difference to 5 nights of 5-6 hours lamping a night to popping out for an hour 5 nights a week,its all to do with how hard there working imo

• Like 1

i have 3 lurchers and 2 whippets and at the moment my collie hound dog is lying up with a cut pad 1 of my wheaton x greyhounds is in season and 1 of my whippets is lying up with gastro so i only have 2 running dogs that i would be able to take out if it was during the season they are still doing a bit now but not nearly as much if it was the middle of winter i still go out if the weather is right just to get a few bunnies to keep the ferrets fed with fresh meat but during the season i work a lot of rough ground and i have often had nights were all my lurchers were sore so i would lamp with 1 of the whippets but they cant realy handle the stuff i would usualy be working on the lamp but they have a go if i had the room i would have a different dog to work on each night of the week