Hunting with Andy&Archie

Hi lads,

Here is a last minute write up prior to me jetting off to Canada in a few days time.

The write up is from last Friday when me and Laura was invited down to Andy and Adele’s house in Wiltshire for a spot of shooting prior to going to the HL meet.

Once we had arrived and done all the normal meet and greet things I and Andy went into Andy’s range for a spot of zeroing. We both zeroed at a range of 30 metres, I was shooting 1 mil dot hold over with my .22 and Andy was shooting on his cross hair of his .177.

After a quick zero as the rifles were pretty much on we lased some spinners out to 55 metres and concentrated on some long range shooting. After finely adjusting our zero on these long range spinners a click left here and there we were hitting the 20mm spinners every shot.

Next we decided to go for a drive around and try and shoot some feather prior to returning back to Andy’s for a spot of food and changing to lamps and NV scopes for some night time rabbiting.

Once out Andy drove along a farmers track on his permission towards a gate into a huge field. Just before we reached the gate I spotted a big crow sat in a tree in the field to my left hand side.

I asked Andy to stop and asked him if I could borrow his laser as mine was playing up due to needing a new battery.

I lased the crow at 57 metres or 63 yards and told Andy that due to our long range shooting earlier I was confident in taking the shot. I dialled my Hawke’s mag to x14 which meant that the crow was just under the last calibrated mildot aim point of 55 metres on my SR12 reticule by a slight bit.

There was no wind so I placed the vertical line on the crows head and squeezed the trigger to watch a half second later the crow fall straight out the tree.

Next a magpie came flying into the same tree and was screaming at the fallen crow going mad. I quickly re-cocked the r10 and aimed in the same place before squeezing off the shot and watching the magpie fall straight out the tree to the floor without even a twitch.

This was really good and we was just about to drive around and into the field to pick the 2 birds up when another magpie came and landed into the same tree also screaming at the 2 dead birds.

The same aim point again at 57 metres and that too fell out the tree like a stone.

Once we drove around the 2 magpies were hit with heart shots and the crow was hit in the neck.

Next we came across some wood pigeons in the farmer’s yard that were stealing his stored crop. The farmer had personally asked us if we saw any pigeons eating the crop to shoot them as he had been loosing lots of it to rats and pigeons and it was just money and time and effort being eaten.

The woody was an easy shot at 25 metres and was taken with the r10 with a head shot.

Next we drove back to Andy’s for a pizza and to zero Andy’s .22 AA with his NV scope ready for later.

This done and with Andy putting a pellet hole in the exact centre of the target bull at 25 metres with his NV scope and our bellies full we set off again to Andy’s newest permission to see if there were any bunnies to be had.

Once in the new field it was apparent that there were bunnies everywhere with red eyes lighting up everywhere under the illumination of my Deben Tracer Pro lamp. The first two rabbit fell to the r10 at a paced 30 paces with a nice brain shot quickly followed by a rabbit shot at 43 paces also in the brain dropping like a stone.

Next Andy took a lovely shot on a bunny killing it at a really nice and long range killing it very humanely.

The last 2 rabbits were shot again by the r10 as Andy was doing all the driving and letting me shoot which is the sign of a true gent and friend.

The last two were shot at 35 and 33 paces both with brain shots.

Thanks to Andy and Adele again for a wonderful stay over.

Here are the photos

Si.

post-2627-0-71575400-1304237911_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-21121300-1304237918_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-86374700-1304237922_thumb.jpg

Edited by zini

Hi lads,

Here is a last minute write up prior to me jetting off to Canada in a few days time.

The write up is from last Friday when me and Laura was invited down to Andy and Adele’s house in Wiltshire for a spot of shooting prior to going to the HL meet.

Once we had arrived and done all the normal meet and greet things I and Andy went into Andy’s range for a spot of zeroing. We both zeroed at a range of 30 metres, I was shooting 1 mil dot hold over with my .22 and Andy was shooting on his cross hair of his .177.

After a quick zero as the rifles were pretty much on we lased some spinners out to 55 metres and concentrated on some long range shooting. After finely adjusting our zero on these long range spinners a click left here and there we were hitting the 20mm spinners every shot.

Next we decided to go for a drive around and try and shoot some feather prior to returning back to Andy’s for a spot of food and changing to lamps and NV scopes for some night time rabbiting.

Once out Andy drove along a farmers track on his permission towards a gate into a huge field. Just before we reached the gate I spotted a big crow sat in a tree in the field to my left hand side.

I asked Andy to stop and asked him if I could borrow his laser as mine was playing up due to needing a new battery.

I lased the crow at 57 metres or 63 yards and told Andy that due to our long range shooting earlier I was confident in taking the shot. I dialled my Hawke’s mag to x14 which meant that the crow was just under the last calibrated mildot aim point of 55 metres on my SR12 reticule by a slight bit.

There was no wind so I placed the vertical line on the crows head and squeezed the trigger to watch a half second later the crow fall straight out the tree.

Next a magpie came flying into the same tree and was screaming at the fallen crow going mad. I quickly re-cocked the r10 and aimed in the same place before squeezing off the shot and watching the magpie fall straight out the tree to the floor without even a twitch.

This was really good and we was just about to drive around and into the field to pick the 2 birds up when another magpie came and landed into the same tree also screaming at the 2 dead birds.

The same aim point again at 57 metres and that too fell out the tree like a stone.

Once we drove around the 2 magpies were hit with heart shots and the crow was hit in the neck.

Next we came across some wood pigeons in the farmer’s yard that were stealing his stored crop. The farmer had personally asked us if we saw any pigeons eating the crop to shoot them as he had been loosing lots of it to rats and pigeons and it was just money and time and effort being eaten.

The woody was an easy shot at 25 metres and was taken with the r10 with a head shot.

Next we drove back to Andy’s for a pizza and to zero Andy’s .22 AA with his NV scope ready for later.

This done and with Andy putting a pellet hole in the exact centre of the target bull at 25 metres with his NV scope and our bellies full we set off again to Andy’s newest permission to see if there were any bunnies to be had.

Once in the new field it was apparent that there were bunnies everywhere with red eyes lighting up everywhere under the illumination of my Deben Tracer Pro lamp. The first two rabbit fell to the r10 at a paced 30 paces with a nice brain shot quickly followed by a rabbit shot at 43 paces also in the brain dropping like a stone.

Next Andy took a lovely shot on a bunny killing it at a really nice and long range killing it very humanely.

The last 2 rabbits were shot again by the r10 as Andy was doing all the driving and letting me shoot which is the sign of a true gent and friend.

The last two were shot at 35 and 33 paces both with brain shots.

Thanks to Andy and Adele again for a wonderful stay over.

Here are the photos

Si.

Well Done Si & Andy Superb write up, Glad to finally meet you all at the H.L. Meet can't wait for the next one, And thanks for the kind Gesture of the 4 DVD's to the H.L. Comp, As you can tell I'm the Proud winner of said DVD's.

Enjoy Canada and be Safe.

ATB DAZ.

Another great write up and more top shooting from you two Gentlemen. Enjoy your Canadian tour mate and keep in touch; let's know how you are.

All the very best to you and Laura.

Simon

Thanks for all the replys lads.

Ill try and pop in from time to time on here once im away.

Will hopefully see some of you again in July when im back for 3 weeks.

ATB

Si.

Sounds like a top day outthumbs.gif good going chaps.

Can i just ask though Si is there a reason why you zero at 30m with a mil-dots holdover instead of at, say 25m on the crosshairs? is it just personal preference or is there a practical reason behind it

Hi Darren,

Yes there is a reason buddy.

I am using a calibrated SR12 reticule and every mildot at x14 mag represents 5 metres on the ground, so by me zeroing and being 1 mildot over that is 30 metres.

It just means my left / right is better zeroed and i dont have to keep moving the target card if someone else is shooting and zeroing at 30 metres in .177 buddy.

Once Im on for height and good for line at 30 metres i then put another target out at 40 or 45 metres to super fine adjust the left / right zero 1 click here or there which ever way.

It works very well if done in no wind.

Si