recall on saluki greyhounds

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good posts by Snoopdog, Bolio and j. Darcy. I think, from my limited experience with these crosses, you have to treat them right, their easily put off by rough handling id say.

some good threads on , most lurchers are sensitve, anything with greyhound in the mix will be, even bullxs .!! When its going wrong , like been said just walk away, count to 10 , there is always

I too would like to know this.

Seems they go deaf sometimes and just f**k off.

Mine doesn't run off. Just stay 10 foot away or so and won't come in close enough.

He will follow me everywhere but keep his distance.

Gaz

I too would like to know this.

Seems they go deaf sometimes and just f**k off.

Mine doesn't run off. Just stay 10 foot away or so and won't come in close enough.

He will follow me everywhere but keep his distance.

Gaz

Collie greyhounds can do this at around 6-10 months. It's a kind of juvenile delinquency stage. When the dog in my avatar was 8 months old we went through a bad patch. He wouldn't come to me, totally ignored me and basically did the opposite of what he was asked to do! It lasted perhaps two months and then it was fine and I had him until he died at 11 years old. I have a 7 month old 3/4 collie greyhound at the minute who had wee spell a few weeks back - he'd look at you when you recalled him with a 'f**k off' glint in his eye and carry on with what he was doing. Really annoying - I just tend to ignore them and they'll come good. Having said that I once seen a pure saluki basically had to be captured as its recall was non existant!!!

Thanks for advice. I keep trying and keep thinking he will come good as he matures. He is 7 months now.

Usually my best trick when he is being a twat is to run off in opposite direction, shout him then grab him as he goes to run past me and then praise him alot.

Recall and Retrieve are both the same.

Salukis and their crosses can be really bad for recall, it can take a lot of work to get there. Mine is almost 100% now but she was a horror until she was about 18 months.

Be very careful with the "grabbing" bit as they can also be easily made nervous.

There has been loads of good advice on recall training on here before so I'm not going to repeat it all, but be patient and calm if you can!

Dogs starts that crap its back to basics for me they have to earn their freedom . Id be putting dog on a long lead and let them drag it about Then only give one call if it doesnt come real it in and make it sit at your feet then give a tid bit to make comming to you an enjoyable experance dont lose your temper as much as you would like to as it is at this age a lot of longdogs are ruined by heavey handed impatient owners.

ye bad advice with the booting it, salukis are tempermntal. my saluki/whippet/grey pup is 7month shes abit reluctant to get back on the lead she dusnt run off walks a few feet behind. try her on a long bit of rope then pull her in when she dunt come back dont yank her about tho.

alb lewis

Salukis are a 1 man dog , but all you have , pateince , extra and you won't go wrong , my 6 yr old bitch is the most loyal bitch I've seem , will jump on command , won't stray and comes straight to recall. Patience is a virtue. Just takes trust and time btween both man and dog.

Careful Mate. 3 turns has got a few sons all over 6 foot tall and he used to be a Bouncer. They all sound hard as nails. Plus being scottish, he's probably got ginger hair and a blue face. Caused by eating all those deep fat fried Mars bar's!!!!whistling.gif

BOOT THE FEXXXERS ARSE.

A\ND WHEN YOUVE DONE IT HUNT IT TO FUXK.

LET IT SOOK UP YOUR ARSE NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND :thumbs:

Prick