killing next years sport!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lamp all year round; and they will answer your question with "pest control", "will lose my permission", etc. But the fact is; they just WANT to !!   Cheers.

Devils advocate might say if you did the job well enough and didnt over stretch yourself landwise. . . .. then you should be able to get the job done during the winter months.   But then again all

some people like running rock hard ground cleaning rabbits etc full of young and milk, but not for me but each to there own

Hares, foxes,deer, all have or had a season where you where aloud to hunt them but rabbits and rats don't you cant hunt them all year round.

I have few lamping spots and at this time year don't go near just leave them next year but this time off year hunt spots am or no one else is aloud on.

Have 9 month old pup what are you to do just leave it out the back till September that 6 months old doing not by that time its 15 months and as not seen a thing come off it.

In my eyes summer time is time for pups and bringing them on for the next season.

• Like 1

Hares, foxes,deer, all have or had a season where you where aloud to hunt them but rabbits and rats don't you cant hunt them all year round.

I have few lamping spots and at this time year don't go near just leave them next year but this time off year hunt spots am or no one else is aloud on.

Have 9 month old pup what are you to do just leave it out the back till September that 6 months old doing not by that time its 15 months and as not seen a thing come off it.

In my eyes summer time is time for pups and bringing them on for the next season.

i do agree that summer time is for pups..

puupy dogs on puppy rabbits!!

great to get there confidence up.

for me my dogs aint pups and i finished up the first week in feb when i started to see pregnant doe,s!!

but i have no pressure from farmers like some do but i do kill enough during the winter to keep my permission for the summer months i take off :thumbs:

saying off i mean hunting off but not fitness :thumbs:

its easy to say its in the aid of pest control but its a term used loosely,i am not a proffesional pest controller ,not even close but on certain permission they still like that phone call a couple times a week at least through the summer that your coming up that night with the dog,you are seen to be actively controlling the rabbits because for the run of the mill non hunter they are un-aware of a closed season they want them gone no matter what it seems,try telling your local green keeper ,see you in six months or what ever the permission will be short lived

yes you can still shoot it but the results are the same,you are still limiting the numbers when the season hits,not going to go into hard baked ground,should not be running the dog blah blah blah,even through the summer you will get times to run the mutt.

other than working the dog i dont really do much else,i have limited permission anyway,yes i do a bit of shooting and ferreting but very small percentage compared so for me its still a walk out,productive or not my batteries are charged all year round.

right or wrong i dont know for sure but im fecked if im going to take up cricket to pass the long summer evenings,id rather walk the dog and if i get the odd slip then" :boogie: "happy days.

on another note,you lads up north seem to have it off every season with the weather giving you the best nights that lamping can provide,down here its not so good and every chance to run the dog should not be missed,iv seen some of you lads putting up posts with what to me are incredible numbers at times for a dog in one night,i may walk 4 hours and be lucky to get half a dozen bunnies,weather,ground conditions, just the holding area in general is not good by a long shot another reason for me to get out all year round,sorry for waffling on the stellas kicking in :yes:

Good post

I have lamped the odd ocation in the summer months in the past cause i have been asked to by land owners but really it aint my cup of tea, there nowt better than going out at the beginning of september and seeing fresh quarry to run on the fields its all worth the waite to me :thumbs:

before i lost my pernission i would run my dog all year round because it was pest controll and i would of lost my permission... but since i have lost it now i hunt because i want to ( for my pleasure, for the dogs pleasure, to put food on the table, and to get out the house) and thats how it is

Every year a thread like this pops up, and each time the replies are the same. :laugh:

I've just got back from reviewing a new palce where someone wants LOTS rabbits clearing. (How many times we heard LOTS to only find out theres a few).

I had a decent look, and it seems very safe to use the rifle, and due to the time of day, I must of seen 20 or so rabbits scattered around, and plenty of damage as expected. Might be a different story later on with an increase of rabbits.

I shall be going back later to shoot what I can, and hopefully show the owner a few dead rabbits, and maybe getting the go ahead to see much more of this farm, anyway moving on.......

How many would, hand on heart, if offered some permission to shoot rabbits (Or any methods you desire and allowed) this time of year, accept the offer?

This question is mainly for the ones who have land already.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Every year a thread like this pops up, and each time the replies are the same. :laugh:

I've just got back from reviewing a new palce where someone wants LOTS rabbits clearing. (How many times we heard LOTS to only find out theres a few).

I had a decent look, and it seems very safe to use the rifle, and due to the time of day, I must of seen 20 or so rabbits scattered around, and plenty of damage as expected. Might be a different story later on with an increase of rabbits.

I shall be going back later to shoot what I can, and hopefully show the owner a few dead rabbits, and maybe getting the go ahead to see much more of this farm, anyway moving on.......

How many would, hand on heart, if offered some permission to shoot rabbits (Or any methods you desire and allowed) this time of year, accept the offer?

This question is mainly for the ones who have land already.

:thumbs:

In a shot.

Funny thing with 'pest control' for dog men. . . .. really the farmer is doing you a favor, because if he REALLY wanted them all gone pronto, lurchers would be his LAST choice of method.

I stopped lamping last moon but last night was dark and windy :whistling::angel: And I just wanted to. Only took three rabbits in two fields. Crops are still short, plenty bunny and I could of lamped all night. But conservation is my middle name so I came back home.

I love lamping :thumbs: