Summer shooting.

I shoot all my quarry as 'pest control' I dont conserve them for 'sport', I just dont need to wipe them out, just keep the numbers down, wich we are doing quite efficiently. If you start calling it sport you make it sound like your doing it for fun, weather you are or not dosent realy matter, but you dont tell people you are or you may fall foul of the law with certain species.

Example, clay pigeon shooting (sport)

Pigeon shooting (pest control) :thumbs:

Thats the way I see it anyway. . .

The owners are happy with what we do, the damage the rabbits do is minimal in comparison to when we started there so job done, and now its just a case of keeping on top of them and not letting it get bad again, hense the word 'control' :laugh: :laugh:

Good interesting topic, some good views.

We are all strangers to each other on the whole, and you dont realy know who gets up to what realy, im pretty shure there is a good chance the quiet ones do a lot more than people think but not speak of it. :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Sorry matey, think i didnt make myself clear. I meant that, as such, you take some enjoyment from carrying out the pest control, and so as such do not feel the need to completely remove all of a certain type of pest (i.e rabbits) using the 'most' efficient method you possibly could. The landowner is also obvously happy with the job that you are doing, having reduced the population to a manageable level they are happy for you to come and shoot certain numbers of say bunnys but leave some, rather than expecting you to be there night after night until they were all gone. The thing i meant about conserving your sport so to speak, was the comment you made about killing the predators that prey on your quarry, so as to have shooting. If that makes sense?

. . . . .. . . and i think you are VERY right about your last point with regard to any area of hunting on this site. :thumbs:

I made no comment to hunting predators of my quarry to preserve them, they can crack on as far as im concernd :thumbs:

Shooting an animal to stop it from killing prey that your supposed to be controling is backwards imo, unless you looking after them as if they are game like pheasants, partrige, hare and duck, some people treat there rabbits in the same way wich is fair enough, but we dont.

.atb. .ste. :thumbs:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an enthusiastic air rifle shooter and hunter who hunts rabbits, among other vermin. I shoot as often as I can which is not often enough!   I am not a pest controller nor would I ever regard mys

I love to shoot as much as I can and do shoot all year round come rain or shine and even try and plan my work around shooting and hunting if possible.   I have to admit though that I would sooner sh

hi buddy have you upset some one in the dog section the tales are still here through out the winter,last time you posted in here was January 10   http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/18456

Posted Images

Sorry mate, got you confused with 'Piano man' . I wasn't looking for an argument, just observing that as you say, some/many folk do attempt to preserve their rabbits as 'game' that they can shoot all year around. :thumbs:

Hey,

I hunt for sport in the name of pest control, I choose to do it with an air rifle simply because my permission allows it and I enjoy it.

As with most things the participants go'es up in the summer and nothing is more true with outdoor pursuits.

Around me theres a few lads who ferret all day long all winter, They don't work they claim the dole and sell the rabbits for 50 pence each. They also beat at weekends for some more tax free dosh and swan about in the housing association places.

Me I have to work and work dam hard in the cold and shit for a pittance to support these god dam idiots who are quick to tell me and my buddy to f**k off when out with the dogs, There like a farmers wet dream and have a hell of a lot of permission tied up around here. They of course call it work.....

Can't bloody wait till the better weather is in all honesty, Being out with the rifle lying in wait sounds like a few bloody well spent hours to me and glad the local dosser will now be hanging around schools selling drugs or such as digging the fur balls out of hard ground is no fun at all.

Each to there own and most of my hunting is done very late so a little sunlight will do me well indeed! :thumbs:

I have nothing against ferreting and have enjoyed it as much as the next bloke, Seems a new wave of high and mighty idiots seem to see it as a full time occupation whilst claiming the dole. Using Pest Control as a means of making some tax free wonga.

Admittedly most folks do it for the love of the sport and for true pest control reasons... :thumbs:

Guessing you don't like people shooting rabbits in the summer because it means smaller bags for you in the winter?

Cheers

Karpman

• Like 1

Hey,

I hunt for sport in the name of pest control, I choose to do it with an air rifle simply because my permission allows it and I enjoy it.

As with most things the participants go'es up in the summer and nothing is more true with outdoor pursuits.

Around me theres a few lads who ferret all day long all winter, They don't work they claim the dole and sell the rabbits for 50 pence each. They also beat at weekends for some more tax free dosh and swan about in the housing association places.

Me I have to work and work dam hard in the cold and shit for a pittance to support these god dam idiots who are quick to tell me and my buddy to f**k off when out with the dogs, There like a farmers wet dream and have a hell of a lot of permission tied up around here. They of course call it work.....

Can't bloody wait till the better weather is in all honesty, Being out with the rifle lying in wait sounds like a few bloody well spent hours to me and glad the local dosser will now be hanging around schools selling drugs or such as digging the fur balls out of hard ground is no fun at all.

Each to there own and most of my hunting is done very late so a little sunlight will do me well indeed! :thumbs:

I have nothing against ferreting and have enjoyed it as much as the next bloke, Seems a new wave of high and mighty idiots seem to see it as a full time occupation whilst claiming the dole. Using Pest Control as a means of making some tax free wonga.

Admittedly most folks do it for the love of the sport and for true pest control reasons... :thumbs:

Guessing you don't like people shooting rabbits in the summer because it means smaller bags for you in the winter?

Cheers

Karpman

Sounds like you have a couple of proper arseholes to deal with there mate! Thing is, if they were not claiming the dole but supporting themselves from what they were doing, i feel they would go up in your eyes.

I think the idea that ferreting is a new craze amongst the idiots to put cash in the bank is pretty far fetched, you really don't make much, and to be fair would be better off lamping at night with an air rifle, lamp or night vision, and a big backpack , the distance you can cover with no one knowing you are there, is unreal, and the bags reflect that :whistling:

I don't really care what other folk do on their land, as the majority of the land i hunt is either sole access for me (and the poachers), or is impossible to hunt in summer by any means (like a f*****g jungle of gorse, ferns etc). I personally stop doing anything serious in summer, because there are f**k all rabbits left on most of the land i do by this time of year, apart from a wee breeding nucleus. Also because anything i take now will be fairly useless, the freezers are full (two big chests) so i don't need meat, and it'd be shitty anyway, and the pelt aint worth taking off, so its a waste for me to kill it, unless it needs gone. I also, to be honest, like to fly fish, which is my relaxing summer evening activity. I don't find shooting relaxing, it's just a tool, a means to an end, i'd rather just go for a walk on a summer eve with the mutts. I am out every day of the week during the season, and it's nice (even though tough) to have a break and mend everything, including me! I also just dont like killing kits unless its a 100% must, it's just a waste, unless you just want the target practice.

Each to their own though buddy! Not knocking it, but i think a lot of folk see knocking over a few half grown stupid bunnies as a nice way to spend an eve sat in the sun, drinking some beers, rather than hunting or pest control. But like i said, each to their own. :thumbs:

• Like 1

i ferret and longnet in the winter, but if the weather forcast is no good for the nets and ive nobody to ferret with ill be out with the s400.. in the summer i dont ferret or net so its back to shooting. im happy to be out anytime using any method available to me. i also dont like to lie in wait with the gun. much prefer to go looking for my next target.

smithie

An interesting post.

Over winter im usually too busy with the dogs, lamping, ferreting, beating etc. The rifle only comes out if asked, usually for feral pigeons. The dark nights, to me, are wasted shooting i'd far sooner work the dogs and the same goes for the daytime.

I do, however, enjoy the summer evenings out with the rifle and, just about now before too much leaf comes through, a crack at the squirrels. Its not pest control, just sport and the chance to top up the freezer. With rabbits i try to be selective, i have no desire to shoot does in kit or kits that would be better left and run with the dogs over winter.

I moved to the coast last year so have plans to have a crack at sea fishing and more on the fly, if finances permit, so maybe i'll be out with the rifle even less this year?