A question to the coursing guys

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

p. s. forgot to mention this. its all about getting up with dog getting in car and most important thing of all is HAVING FUN AND ENJOYING IT. dont worry about what he has or what u got with tod

r30 years of breeding.Salukis bred into old fashioned rough lurchers ,then the best to the best or a sticker to a speedy one to complement each other t get what weve got now,dogs with everything

I only make jibes at stupid off the mark comments ! I dont claim to be an expert but do know a bit about a coursing dog.Yeah my old mongrels win matches,but Something purpose bred is not a mongrel.You

You told me some pal had told you it would be no good for Ireland as it had ears like a spaniel. That's neither here nor there. I bred the litter to get something to hunt with, not to engage in dick measuring contests with other dog men. Gambling on the outcome of a hunt would spoil the whole point of the excercise for me. As Karlsberg says, it's all about enjoying the runs, both dog and hare. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the quality of another mans dog who does run for money.

good job u had a sense of humour ha ha

p. s. forgot to mention this. its all about getting up with dog getting in car and most important thing of all is HAVING FUN AND ENJOYING IT. dont worry about what he has or what u got with todays police involvement where u cant fart if u have a lurcher we should all be as one. and enjoying each others dogs instead of worrying about them . hope u all have a good summer and your dogs get fat

AS YOU SAY "having fun & enjoying it" OFTEN THAT STATEMENT GETS FORGOTTEN :thumbs:

You told me some pal had told you it would be no good for Ireland as it had ears like a spaniel. That's neither here nor there. I bred the litter to get something to hunt with, not to engage in dick measuring contests with other dog men. Gambling on the outcome of a hunt would spoil the whole point of the excercise for me. As Karlsberg says, it's all about enjoying the runs, both dog and hare. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the quality of another mans dog who does run for money.

Totally agree, its all about the hunt for me as well. :yes::thumbs:

would be good to have a list of what people thought was great dogs , and just see wich ones actually produced better than themselves ????

Dels luke ?

Foxy ?

Snowy ?

C joe ?

Dancer ?

Sniper ?

lucky ?

Charlie ?

Captain ?

the only ones i really know about is Dancer , she produced Blondie , who i thought was a better fen dog than her Dame , AS says Dancer was better than Blondie ,but thats another story !

Can any of you lads put up what you thought was one of the great runners , that produced a dog that ran better or as good as the big named dog

cheers , should make for some good reading !!!

its a lot easier for a dog to produce one better than himself, cos of the amount a stud dog could throw out........... its law of averages that it has to throw ONE... how many id charlie sire? buddy sire? lucky etc..... and then the one pup that turns out a good un..the dog gets all the credit.. :laugh:..... bitch gets forgot about most of time.. how many times have you heard someone say "its out of charlie" or its "lucky bred" etc ...and what do you class as a good one? surely to compare a pup to parent it would have to be run on same hares on same ground... you should be looking to future not the past when it comes to your dogs...why try and recreate a certain dog..my pup here is bred from strong lines on dam and sire,s side...if i could choose which side it took it would be dam,s side, but i cant...it will either make the grade or not...its down to me to make it now. :thumbs:

I agree with you on that one Roberto and have had the same discussion with A.S. myself. However good a bitch Blondie was it was Dancer who produced her though, and I think that helps sway the argument in her favour for Alan.

All the dogs on your list were stand out dogs themselves and would probably be expected to produce a higher than average quality of offspring, but standout dogs only come along once in a while. I wouldn't expect one in every litter, but would hope that the quality of every litter was above average.

The f1x saluki greyhound beany produced better dogs than himself.

How good was beany mate ??? and what did he produce cheers !

By all acounts he was nothing special but his name has cropped up in the names of some good dogs .I had two pups out of him [bANNED TEXT] he was bred to a bitch called punch some years ago but like has been said a lot more imho goes on the quality of the bitches that produce as well.

• Like 1

would be good to have a list of what people thought was great dogs , and just see wich ones actually produced better than themselves ????

Dels luke ?

Foxy ?

Snowy ?

C joe ?

Dancer ?

Sniper ?

lucky ?

Charlie ?

Captain ?

the only ones i really know about is Dancer , she produced Blondie , who i thought was a better fen dog than her Dame , AS says Dancer was better than Blondie ,but thats another story !

Can any of you lads put up what you thought was one of the great runners , that produced a dog that ran better or as good as the big named dog

cheers , should make for some good reading !!!

I'm sure the coursing oracle aka optimus would be able to help with that list......

imo merlin and eve line have been the strongest line in coursing coz they were bred best to best for 40 years, dont mean everything off the line gonna be a world beater just chances are greater coz the bloodline there dont matter how good the parents to a dog are dont mean the pups are gonna be great if there weaknesses in the grandparents great grandparents pups will fire back that why i wun hav a pup bred off a dog with no strong bloodline behind it or even half a bloodline

make yourown asumptions and not glean other peoples knowledge you tit

Maybe i am making assumtions, you're right, i shouldn't do, but like i said i'm new to this and can only go on what i've read. I was asking mainl i nreference to his breeding

Sorry fo being a tit!

Whin you sound like an arsehole. Like the lad said."he's new to it" so why be a c**t? The lad only asked for knowledge on a certain line

• Like 1