Why are you into dogs?

Got deerhound and collie crosses mate.

from the way you carry on, it sounds like they either dont exist, or they were once running and no more? :hmm:

You can tell that from the way I carry on??? :blink: Theres been a murder in maryhill!!! think what you want pal, I couldn't give 2 shakes :thumbs:

I have done various things over the year, i shot, fished, trained dogs for security, tracking and obedience but nothing comes close to working a hunting dog. Dogs have introduced me to the most special people in my life and we have shared the ups and downs of dogwork. Taking a pup out for his first time on the lamp, watching him run the beam, lift the rabbit from that narrow corridor of light and return it to hand brings a feeling of pride, joy and admiration that is difficult to find anywhere else. When your out in the fields, whether its a frosty morning or a windy night its a feeling you can't describe, only other hunters know the feeling.

My opinion is that hunting is in our genetic makeup, its just that some of us have a more highly tuned gene than others, we are closer to our hunter/gatherer ancestors than the ikea living drones who drift through life caring more about what others think of their choices rather than live life...........

I have done various things over the year, i shot, fished, trained dogs for security, tracking and obedience but nothing comes close to working a hunting dog. Dogs have introduced me to the most special people in my life and we have shared the ups and downs of dogwork. Taking a pup out for his first time on the lamp, watching him run the beam, lift the rabbit from that narrow corridor of light and return it to hand brings a feeling of pride, joy and admiration that is difficult to find anywhere else. When your out in the fields, whether its a frosty morning or a windy night its a feeling you can't describe, only other hunters know the feeling.

My opinion is that hunting is in our genetic makeup, its just that some of us have a more highly tuned gene than others, we are closer to our hunter/gatherer ancestors than the ikea living drones who drift through life caring more about what others think of their choices rather than live life...........

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Very well put. :thumbs:

couldnt agree more, seeing a dog run is a feeling like no other. Wtching the dog twist and turn, get so close but yet so far and then when the dog catches its quarry it send shivers of adrenalin down your spine

personally with the current dog i have now she is amazing so much heart and passion when out. She doesn't require treats or bribes to do anything just a pat on the head will do fine, even just jumping a fence she will run as fast as she can up to it and jump it as high as she can and then sometimes just jump it again just to go the extra mile. Shes a pig headed ASBO dog but with such drive, passion and stamina i can forgive her. I've had a good dog in the past, straight back to hand every time but this bitch is in a diffrent league altogether

like has been said its the joy of bringing a pup on teachin it all it knows the peace when your out alone just for the fresh air the quiet you can talk to your dog it doesn't answer back you can fall out but make up after a minute the effort they put in for you just for there bowl of food at the end of the day i dont know how i got into dogs my mum hates dogs especially lurchers the way they look in a word unexplainable but i would not give it up for the world it is like a drug to me anyway

since that first rabbit i caught in a net when i was 6, i was hooked. then that first lampin trip when i actualy seen the dogs run i was amazed, it was a big part of family life for me, with my grandad,dad, uncle and my cousins all into it. i was tought to respect quarry and respect the land you run. since i got me own dog and lamp at 15 ive not stopped, now at 30 im as mad as ever for it.... love it with a passion. ;)

What is it that floats your boat about dogs? What makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, gets the blood pumping and adrenaline flowing? For me, it's seeing an explosive dog on a hare, f*****g love it. I love the feeling when your walking a field and you see them ears.... just a glimpse.... then the eye and as soon as you make eye to eye contact, WHOOSH, like an explosion its off, dog straining on the lead... in a split second you let go of the handle and the strap round your wrist tightens... off he goes(how many times has the slip lead battered your top lip lol) eating up the ground.... what a feeling when he gets on terms...

As far as I can see dogs is a drug, its in your blood. Every dogman knows that feeling you get which cant be reproduced by any other sport. I fish, I shoot, nothing comes close to watching the dog on a hare or even a rabbit. So, what is it you like about dogs? Is it the way bull dogs do their business or salukis or whippets.... so many people into so many different styles of running and using their dogs.... all get the same proud feeling when it all clicks.

yep watching a dog on a good strong winter hare,it really gets the blood pumping but also when out after rabbits watching the bitch work cover and all the little tell tale signs that theres something close by and flush could come any minute or when ferreting and you get a mark that just tells you that somebody"s home

Good thread by the way

Fantastic post notworthy.gif

Baw and simo summed it up I think I just love dogs always have always will for me seeing the dogs love what there doing gives me enjoyment and when the dog just wants to please you watches what your doin incase you do something without them lol seeing a dog run and you can see the enjoyment it's getting being free to do it I also don't think humans would of come as far as we have with human/canine partnership but that's another topic lol

good answer :thumbs: my 1st dogs were (staffs,pit,bullmastiffs). I only came in to lurchers by chance 25 years ago . I was walking a bullmastiff bitch on a park by where i live, a bloke had what i thought was greyhound running around + jumping fences. His dog saw squirrel on the fence the other dide of the field, it went like a rocket after it lol . It didnt get it but the way it ran+jumped the fence, blew my mind i though what great dog full of life+energy :thumbs: . I said to the bloke you dont see many greyhounds do that,? he said its not a greyhound its a (colliexgrey x salukixgrey). The dog Tip was 27in 70lb smooth brindle, apart from its ears it looked like greyhound. We got talking about lurchers, and 3 months after i got my 1st lurcher beddyxwhippetxgrey lol. Funny thing it was the only lurcher i didnt get on with, all my other lurchers in the 25 years have all been good dogs+mates :thumbs:

to be honest a didnt like lurchers when a first saw one or why people kept them, a started of with a ferret few nets and a wicked day out catching the bunnys.

was;nt untill a seen a local farmer ferreting a patch of land with a lurcher for them little gets that slip out of the nets and piss off along the field, always seemed to be the bigest ones that made a dash for it anyway seen this lurcher out marking the holes and a rabbit dashes out and the dog was in persuit for a few second then a noticed the speed and the out come (another bunny for the pot)

was the back end of december 09 that a got a lurcher collie x whippet x grey that my mother brought back from work as a smackhead had her took off them by the rspca, as 3 month prier the same persone was found sprawled out off there nut on drugs with a young staffy dead beside them because of feeding in canabis so any way they asked every one present if they would take her as she was fine, the pup only looked tha mother in the eyes and she fell for it. a came in from work and there she was my first dog, now she is a top class working lurcher on all quarry.

brought me into the best sport :)

What is it that floats your boat about dogs? What makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, gets the blood pumping and adrenaline flowing? For me, it's seeing an explosive dog on a hare, f*****g love it. I love the feeling when your walking a field and you see them ears.... just a glimpse.... then the eye and as soon as you make eye to eye contact, WHOOSH, like an explosion its off, dog straining on the lead... in a split second you let go of the handle and the strap round your wrist tightens... off he goes(how many times has the slip lead battered your top lip lol) eating up the ground.... what a feeling when he gets on terms...

As far as I can see dogs is a drug, its in your blood. Every dogman knows that feeling you get which cant be reproduced by any other sport. I fish, I shoot, nothing comes close to watching the dog on a hare or even a rabbit. So, what is it you like about dogs? Is it the way bull dogs do their business or salukis or whippets.... so many people into so many different styles of running and using their dogs.... all get the same proud feeling when it all clicks.

what he said :laugh:

DO REMEMBER YOUR FIRST LURCHER.

TRAINING IT WALKING MILE AFTER MILE RAIN/HAIL/SLEET WAITING FOR YOUR PRIDE/JOY TO COURSE/N/CATCH ITS FIRST HARE.

THEN IT DOES AND IN YOUR EYES WITH STYLE.

REMEMBER THE BUZZ WALKING ALONG YOUR STREET WAE YOUR CATCH.. EVERY BOY ASKING ABOUT YOUR PRIDE/JOY

STILL REMEMBER THAT BUZZ 3OYRS ON.

CANNY TOP IT.

NEVER LEAVES ME.:thumbs:

Edited by 3 Turns