A TRUE WORKING TERRIER!!!

If the genuine terrier lads keep breeding and ALWAYS for Work, Cull if needed, worked properly, then the working terrier is safe. :thumbs:

And a good idea of what they want out of a dog, and faults, how to breed close, but once a fault comes along, use an out cross or distant relative if available.

Thats my take on it, i know nothing about breeding, but have MY Morals for dogs. :thumbs:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all , it's been a while since I've been on as some of you are aware , hope use haven't missed me to much .   Any how been doing a bit of reading and came across this in a truly interestin

if you check I'm a lurcher man who owns a few well bread terriers ,its not got to lose a jaw ,just to be a proven true working terrier ,all it has to do is keep it ata bay, till it getts a hand, now

went to a " working " dog show were the winning terrier was taking to a sett ! if shows like this were about more for genuine terrier men ther wouldn be so much dirt atb artful

who cares what yor terrier looks like its if it works or not well said lads ripstop and grant c keep the working terrier work and the kc dogs (softys softs)in the show ring with the girls with there hand bag dog with little pint coats on

Edited by burny2011

who cares what yor terrier looks like its if it works or not well said lads ripstop and grant c keep the working terrier work and the kc dogs (softys softs)in the show ring with the girls with there hand bag dog with little pint coats on

and you think terrier shows are run for the red rossets :laugh:

There can be some good well ran working terrier and lurcher shows.I dont go near too many,but went to one local to me last year.It was the WESTMEATH HOUNDS WORKING TERRIER AND LURCHER SHOW and i have to give credit where credit is due and say that at least 90% 0f terriers on view were workers and easy to see that they were worked.From what i heard the judge mr john park said that it was the best display of black dogs he had seen in a long time.Its the big shows that are a fcuk up,you wont see too many workers at them.

• 8 months later...

russels and Lakeys out the game then :cray:

Tried to read that article but twas hurting me eyes :blink::icon_eek:

The work of a terrier is,or was,the destruction of vermin-rats,weasels,stoats,hedgehogs,foxes,otters and of course badgers - and the word terrier originally implied a small dog used for this purpose.

With the coming of dog shows owners were provided with another object for which such dogs might be bred and used - the winning of prizes to be awarded for make and shape and general appearance - and at the present time far more terriers are bred for show than for work.

There are in the British Isles many distinct breeds most,if all,of which originated in working strains.

It is difficult to believe that an Airedale or a Kerry Blue of the size of modern representatives of those breeds could have been used to bolt fox, but the Skye, the Scottish or Aberdeen, the Dandie Dinmont, the Border, the York-shire, the Bedlington, the Irish, the Welsh the Wire and Smooth Fox-terriers, the Sealyham and others are undoubtedly the descendants of hard-bitten little dogs employed in the keeping down of vermin.

There are those who believe that the annual hound show held at Peterborough has done infinite harm to the foxhound, in that it has caused masters of hounds to breed for looks rather than work. While not necessarily supporting that view, I think none will deny that there must be temptation to use a stallion hound one which has taken a coveted first at Peterborough, even if his capabilities in the field are only mediocre,rather than the hound which though he can drag up to and unkennel his fox when no other hound in the pack can own the line, and moreover is a tireless worker with a beautiful voice, yet lacks certain of those points of conformation which the show-bench requires.

The rule that no hound may be exhibited unless it belongs to a recognised pack, and the natural desire of all masters of the hounds to show sport and kill foxes,ensures that the working capabilities of the hounds selected for breeding are not entirely lost sight of, but the same cannot be said of terriers for show use there dogs for work, in fact not many have the opportunity, consequently the present-day studbook terrier is, generally speaking, a dog which even with careful training will not make a first class working terrier. This remark applies more particularly to those breeds which have been bred for show for Generations.

It must be borne in mind that the fact that the terrier will kill a rat does not entitle it to be classed as a "working terrier"; this term usually applied to one which has been entered to fox otter or badger.

A terrier may be "of a working stain" but it is not, strictly speaking, a "working terrier" until it has been to ground and faced fox, otter or badger in the dark, and it is not a really good working terrier until it can and will do very much more than that.

A dog which has earned the title may be a likened to a man in the days of our forefathers who won his spurs on the field of battle ; it is an honour not to be inherited but to be fought for.

• Like 1

Well I go to one show a year mostly for a laugh and a beer with mates I havent seen ina while we camp out the night before and tell lies all night while on the piss. ive judged the running dogs and the terriers and cop a bagging when ya put some one elses dogs up or the ones you left behind beat my dogs the next year its all in good fun. must say its hard to go past dogs ive seen work when I judge. I figure you can do one of two things with your dogs you can bring out your workers and give the judge a chance to put up workers and let people see other workers or you can keep all the workers away and leave the shows to show dogs and give the poor old judge know choise but to put up show dogs. but anyone that things it is anything more than one persons oppion and a bit of a ribbon is just having themselves on they probly sit in a dark roon and dream they are with a super model as well.

Edited by stevemac
  • Like 1

i do show my dog's but don't mind if i don't cum any where but the best rosette you can have is one on the mussel. i did not show until i got with my lass two year's ago but who did shock me how meany pout dog's in best entered with out a mark on them and when i when to a show this year i when in for best entered with my old bitch and Juarj sad y ant you pout u'r dog in.

he's only 14 month and not entered yet and if he don't mack the grad you wont see him a gene the jarge did not no where to pout his head as my mate sed he shot to the other week

• Like 1

its the shows that have ruined terriers if you ask me, if it was upto me you would have too have a license too keep terriers any terrier, that way many of the old school grafting breeds would still be here today, i agree showing at gamefairs can be a good crack and a good outcome but keep that for the lurchers my terrier wouldnt even see a gamefair never mind a show keep em at what they do best and thats earthwork, just my opinion

• Like 1

Hi all biggrin.gif , it's been a while since I've been on :cry: as some of you are aware , hope use haven't missed me to much :whistling: .

Any how been doing a bit of reading :icon_redface: and came across this in a truly interesting book :yes: ,generally I agree, but what's your thoughts or opinions? :hmm:

Truly have a read at it, it made me think !!!!! :hmm:

The work of a terrier is,or was,the destruction of vermin-rats,weasels,stoats,hedgehogs,foxes,otters and of course badgers - and the word terrier originally implied a small dog used for this purpose.

With the coming of dog shows owners were provided with another object for which such dogs might be bred and used - the winning of prizes to be awarded for make and shape and general appearance - and at the present time far more terriers are bred for show than for work. There are in the British Isles many distinct breeds most,if all,of which originated in working strains. It is difficult to believe that an Airedale or a Kerry Blue of the size of modern representatives of those breeds could have been used to bolt fox, but the Skye, the Scottish or Aberdeen, the Dandie Dinmont, the Border, the York-shire, the Bedlington, the Irish, the Welsh the Wire and Smooth Fox-terriers, the Sealyham and others are undoubtedly the descendants of hard-bitten little dogs employed in the keeping down of vermin.

There are those who believe that the annual hound show held at Peterborough has done infinite harm to the foxhound, in that it has caused masters of hounds to breed for looks rather than work. While not necessarily supporting that view, I think none will deny that there must be temptation to use a stallion hound one which has taken a coveted first at Peterborough, even if his capabilities in the field are only mediocre,rather than the hound which though he can drag up to and unkennel his fox when no other hound in the pack can own the line, and moreover is a tireless worker with a beautiful voice, yet lacks certain of those points of conformation which the show-bench requires.The rule that no hound may be exhibited unless it belongs to a recognised pack, and the natural desire of all masters of the hounds to show sport and kill foxes,ensures that the working capabilities of the hounds selected for breeding are not entirely lost sight of, but the same cannot be said of terriers for show use there dogs for work, in fact not many have the opportunity, consequently the present-day studbook terrier is, generally speaking, a dog which even with careful training will not make a first class working terrier. This remark applies more particularly to those breeds which have been bred for show for Generations.

It must be borne in mind that the fact that the terrier will kill a rat does not entitle it to be classed as a "working terrier"; this term usually applied to one which has been entered to fox otter or badger. A terrier may be "of a working stain" but it is not, strictly speaking, a "working terrier" until it has been to ground and faced fox, otter or badger in the dark, and it is not a really good working terrier until it can and will do very much more than that. A dog which has earned the title may be a likened to a man in the days of our forefathers who won his spurs on the field of battle ; it is an honour not to be inherited but to be fought for.

agreed whole heartedly