bought hob ferret, wantin bit ov advise

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stubby if got nothing usefull to say keap ur self to ur self. Pal. Cheers to lads thats helping me along

right, for starters, when replying to posts, try pressing the reply button just ONCE, so we dont get multiple reply posts the same

secondly, Ive been leaving the ferret section to go along by itself of late, and letting a few "wrong" posts slip by, but I for one(as well as admin) cannot stand trying to figure out what a post says, because of the amount of text talk/shorten words in it, now reading through these 4 pages, its not just "the big oz" but, Ill say it again, after reading this post, go and read the forum rules, on TEXT TALK, some will probably say they are just shite spellers, we all get it wrong sometimes, but not every post,run it through a spell checker, or ask someone else to read through your reply before you post it (push button once)

in future, rather than leaving a post reminding members of the text talk rules, Ill try not to be helpful as oz puts it, and simply deleate the posts and put warning levels up

stubby if got nothing usefull to say keap ur self to ur self. Pal. Cheers to lads thats helping me along

right, for starters, when replying to posts, try pressing the reply button just ONCE, so we dont get multiple reply posts the same

secondly, Ive been leaving the ferret section to go along by itself of late, and letting a few "wrong" posts slip by, but I for one(as well as admin) cannot stand trying to figure out what a post says, because of the amount of text talk/shorten words in it, now reading through these 4 pages, its not just "the big oz" but, Ill say it again, after reading this post, go and read the forum rules, on TEXT TALK, some will probably say they are just shite spellers, we all get it wrong sometimes, but not every post,run it through a spell checker, or ask someone else to read through your reply before you post it (push button once)

in future, rather than leaving a post reminding members of the text talk rules, Ill try not to be helpful as oz puts it, and simply deleate the posts and put warning levels up

:notworthy::notworthy: As long as you recognise when Ah`m talkin Scottish tae aw ma mates :thumbs:

Big Oz.

I put a post up earlier trying to be helpfull. I metioned that all the info you require is here on the forum and that it is well worth the time and effort to have a hunt on here for tips etc. It was a well meaning post but all I appear to have gotten back from you seems to make out you don`t want my advise and that I should keep it shut.

I hope I`m wrong, but could you clarify for me , was my post helpfull to you or do you think you know enough for me to keep my trap shut ?

ATB

get to your local pet store. Get a water bottle, and a bag of ferret food. Thats all they need really. Make sure they have plenty of shavings and loads of bedding. I use hay for mine and again it costs nothing. Ferrets can pretty much look after themseleves.

You can feed them cat food, rabbits ect they will eat just about anything. I also give mine a raw egg once in a while as it is a nice treat for them and it keeps their coats in good nick.

As for taking them out, the season is just about over mate, so i wouldnt worry about that just yet. I would just handle the ferrets as much as possible and get yourself down to a libary and get reading a book or two on ferrets and you will learn everything you need to know by the time the new season comes around.

Hope that helps

Dry cat food is a decent 'short-term' (days or a couple weeks is fine) substitute for proper ferret food but don't go thinking it is ideal for ferrets. The protein is high but decent ferret food is that bit higher and what they require is a high protein food because their intestinal tracts are quite short so they don't have sufficient time to extract/break down the protein in lower grade food.

If you are going to feed rabbit don't make the mistake of gutting and skinning it, the ferret needs every piece of the rabbit to balance its diet... their is very little fat on rabbit flesh, it needs the whole rabbit, guts and all (yes even the gut stuffed with partly digested grass)! On the note of feeding whole rabbit; smaller rabbits (possibly shot with an air rifle during the 'off-season') are better than great big bucks as the rabbit will quickly go rank and attract flies during the Summer. Even if you are feeding whole rabbit be sure to vary the diet a bit with the odd chick, egg, fish scraps but not too much (if any) oily fish.

Water water and more water! I had those bottles but if you've got a decent sized space for the ferret(s) also put a big clay bowl in or a clay base for those big plant pots and partially filled it with water... some ferrets don't mind a splash about!

dont know how many new members yous get on here asking these questions,maybe a pinned topic in this subforum with hints/tips for us new members might help.just a idea :D

Edited by Joe67

dont know how many new members yous get on here asking these questions,maybe a pinned topic in this subforum with hints/tips for us new members might help.just a idea :D

to be fair there was a comprehensive pinned list of basics & folks still kept asking :laugh: .. i dont mind giving advice to anyone .. providing i know the answer :thumbs: :thumbs:

Tried ot bud,,asked for one the past two years but got knocked back for one.

Ah`ll gie yeh a phone about tomorrow bud,, been laid up again all day today so maybe,maybe not! :thumbs:

Big Oz.

I put a post up earlier trying to be helpfull. I metioned that all the info you require is here on the forum and that it is well worth the time and effort to have a hunt on here for tips etc. It was a well meaning post but all I appear to have gotten back from you seems to make out you don`t want my advise and that I should keep it shut.

I hope I`m wrong, but could you clarify for me , was my post helpfull to you or do you think you know enough for me to keep my trap shut ?

ATB

Back on track! Still waiting