pre-ban deer

I think the only people who know the answer to this, is the guys who have done all 6 species, from down south to up north and back.

And i bet there aint too many of them.......

I think a better opinion is formed also when the same dog has been used on all six species. Kinda helps to evaluate the pro's and con's of each species :thumbs: . In the daytime i might add.....You can only really tell how a deer runs in the daytime. :victory:

JMHO...JD

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

beddy x whippet

every single deer is far from the same saying all roe are fast is like saying all black people are as fast as usain bolt lol! Old or weak deer will obviously be alot slower than deer in prime conditio

who the feck wants to put pics up on deer and dogs its adistant memory for some and best left close to th eheart who wants to educate the unwashed or police sspca rspca etc youse are twats

Posted Images

I think the only people who know the answer to this, is the guys who have done all 6 species, from down south to up north and back.

I think a better opinion is formed also when the same dog has been used on all six species. Kinda helps to evaluate the pro's and con's of each species :thumbs: . In the daytime i might add.....You can only really tell how a deer runs in the daytime. :victory:

JMHO...JD

Totally agree. :thumbs:

JMHO...JD

:whistling:

If they have ran all six species in numbers and took bucks/stags in all six the above MAYBE true. Other than that I wouldnt say a person is more qualified just because they have took all six, it maybe the case thay have only run a few doe's of a certain species and not took a buck/stag in that species when at there best.

• Like 1

If they have ran all six species in numbers and took bucks/stags in all six the above MAYBE true. Other than that I wouldnt say a person is more qualified just because they have took all six, it maybe the case thay have only run a few doe's of a certain species and not took a buck/stag in that species when at there best.

Well SBBR you do have a point, :notworthy: but maybe the criteria should read attempted to take the mature males of those species.....Its just that some crazy, big antlered critters can't be taken with a single dog, .......again, JMHO....JD :thumbs:

Well SBBR you do have a point, :notworthy: but maybe the criteria should read attempted to take the mature males of those species.....Its just that some crazy, big antlered critters can't be taken with a single dog, .......again, JMHO....JD :thumbs:

You could also have a "point" there ginger pubes, but the only one out of the six which a single dog isnt capable of taking on a regular basis without the aid of accidents, fences, ditchs etc etc is a red stag....JMHO as you put it :boogie:

• Like 1

You could also have a "point" there ginger pubes, but the only one out of the six which a single dog isnt capable of taking on a regular basis without the aid of accidents, fences, ditchs etc etc is a red stag....JMHO as you put it :boogie:

That was the species I was refering to when i said 'attempted' :notworthy: .....A good mature fallow buck always took some stopping in the daytime.....

That was the species I was refering to when i said 'attempted' :notworthy: .....A good mature fallow buck always took some stopping in the daytime.....

Always took some stopping anytime IMO but within the capabillity of a decent dog single :victory:

Come back and play when you've tried them when the suns shining.... :kiss: :kiss:

Thought you were ringing me....? :kiss:

every single deer is far from the same saying all roe are fast is like saying all black people are as fast as usain bolt lol! Old or weak deer will obviously be alot slower than deer in prime condition. There a thousand different situations each deer can be ran in so no one can really say which will be the fastest all the time. Deer of the same species vary hugely over the uk take a red stag up in the highlands compared to a lowland forest stag in the middle of winter and id dare to guess the difference in weight, condition would be massive?? Ive ran reds pre pan in the midlands and they were certaintly not slow!! Them big powerful legs can make them shift when pressed hard and when it comes to jumping well Ive seen race horses do worse! Fallow were the main type we ran and im my opinion they were the best deer to run with dogs not to big to take a dog ages to pull them, can be killed quickly and easily with a good dog, easy enough to drag between a couple of lads, plenty of them around and plenty of meat to share! I never got the chance to run roe as none round here and the muntys Ive ran were in woods and if the dog was not on them as soon as they had chance the deer would hit cover and literally disappear in seconds!! What always amazed me about deer is how they looked like they were just gently jogging along while being coursed but when you realise how fast the dog is behind it you understand the true speed of these fine animals! Anyway all in the past now but a great topic nonetheless!

• Like 2

JMHO...JD

And its a real opinion, daytime, no matter what quarry will always test your dog to its limits.. And, like you say mate, there wont be many dogs about that have done it.. :thumbs:

every single deer is far from the same saying all roe are fast is like saying all black people are as fast as usain bolt lol! Old or weak deer will obviously be alot slower than deer in prime condition. There a thousand different situations each deer can be ran in so no one can really say which will be the fastest all the time. Deer of the same species vary hugely over the uk take a red stag up in the highlands compared to a lowland forest stag in the middle of winter and id dare to guess the difference in weight, condition would be massive?? Ive ran reds pre pan in the midlands and they were certaintly not slow!! Them big powerful legs can make them shift when pressed hard and when it comes to jumping well Ive seen race horses do worse! Fallow were the main type we ran and im my opinion they were the best deer to run with dogs not to big to take a dog ages to pull them, can be killed quickly and easily with a good dog, easy enough to drag between a couple of lads, plenty of them around and plenty of meat to share! I never got the chance to run roe as none round here and the muntys Ive ran were in woods and if the dog was not on them as soon as they had chance the deer would hit cover and literally disappear in seconds!! What always amazed me about deer is how they looked like they were just gently jogging along while being coursed but when you realise how fast the dog is behind it you understand the true speed of these fine animals! Anyway all in the past now but a great topic nonetheless!

Thats a real good speech Jimmy :thumbs: . And very true, did you ever knock any of those reds in the midlands over?

Not seen you for a while.. You been busy. :thumbs:

To be totally honest mate cheers mate and we had a few red hinds in when out on the deer and they took some doing with two dogs! We used to slip on the stags just for the chase really because if im honest i dont think the dogs we had would of dealt with them they are just to big and strong imo not saying it cant be done just not round here. The thing is round here you would struggle to find a field much bigger than say 30 acres so if you ran one in a field that big it would take nothing out of the stag and he would have plenty of fight in him still and it would take the bravest dog to face him if he put his head down to defend himself! Theres a fight between two stags on you tube i think its in belgium and its one of the most brutal Ive seen it goes on for well over 30 mins and if they can do that damage to each other then the damage they could do to a dog would be serious or even death! also they are alot more wary than the fallow i find 9 times out of 10 they know your there before you know their there lol!! Where as fallow can at times be a bit easier to get a slip on not alot mind but every little helps!! and also its the numbers of them the most ive seen together in the day is 17 but fallow is well over 100 and one night i must of seen at least 200 fallow all stood feeding about 50 meters from a main road! As chalkwarren said lamping them was the best way to get results with the right lads,dogs,land and transport you could get a van full of venison in one night but for sport then day time was unbeatable and alot more satisfying when you caught one as the dog had more to do and the odds for the deer escaping are alot higher! Someone said on here recently how a lurcher kept you out of trouble and its so true but look at the situation now total f*****g nonsense!!

christ some good reading here so it is. :D

over here in ireland you would be in jail for a while if you got caught lamping deer with dogs.

the poor dogs would be put down as well.

its bad enough us lads trying to get a run at a hare. :(

i would love to try it mind if it was ok would good craic. :thumbs: