lurcher and terrier together in same kennel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that say 'wouldnt they just get on' - terriers are natural wind up merchants and altough not gaurenteed, it is VERY likely that at some point a fight will break out, over a chew, a bone, or

Never had a problem with a terrier and a lurcher in a kennel had more problems with terrier and terrier in a run,but i know my dogs temprements and would not kennel an idiot with anything,i find the m

what would people think about me keeping a patterdale with a lurcher? both pups?

can be done depends on the dogs i got a greyhound a young terrier n a young lurcher together that you cant seperate lol take one and the others go mad for a bit but just dont leeve no food or ote like that hopefully mine will stil live together when they fully matured but at min they more than happytogether

For those that say 'wouldnt they just get on' - terriers are natural wind up merchants and altough not gaurenteed, it is VERY likely that at some point a fight will break out, over a chew, a bone, or even (and i've seen this) from the terrier just not letting the lurcher in the sleeping compartment or something equally as petty. At that point what usually happens is that the lurcher shakes the terrier to death, while the terrier inflicts horrendous wounds on the running dogs legs, chest, throat. Now it may well not happen, but if you come home to find that scene. . . . you'll wish you built another kennel.

My terriers block the kennel doors stoping the others getting in lol it is was right pain the kennel now has two doors :victory:

I think the main problem with terriers is they use their size to 'claim' places and things bigger dogs cant get to, and they arn't afraid of anything

Edited by Jordb543

can be done depends on the dogs i got a greyhound a young terrier n a young lurcher together that you cant seperate lol take one and the others go mad for a bit but just dont leeve no food or ote like that hopefully mine will stil live together when they fully matured but at min they more than happytogether

wait till the praydive kicks in ..................:yes:

• Like 1

Give it time. With more than 2 dogs kennelled together its not uncommon when a disagreement occurs that you end up with 2 on 1 and then you do get a mess. You may think they are the best of mates but shit happens, especially when terriers are involved!

• Like 1

wait till the preydrive kicks in on which one as all 3 got a lot of prey drive. i aint saying you lot are wrong im just saying at the minute mine live together happily but that dont mean i aint always expecting trouble to begin and if when it does it will be dealt with by seperating them and if you on about the greyhounds prey drive kicking in trust me it has lol

wait till the preydrive kicks in on which one as all 3 got a lot of prey drive. i aint saying you lot are wrong im just saying at the minute mine live together happily but that dont mean i aint always expecting trouble to begin and if when it does it will be dealt with by seperating them and if you on about the greyhounds prey drive kicking in trust me it has lol

:blink: theres only one top dog ........and that is in every dogs nature ..alpher male thing .. but a big dog will always win a little one just the way it is ....so why tempt fate ....and if it goes off when your not there then its going to be fun working dogs do it faster then pets dogs ........ all the best x38 :thumbs:

I asked the same question a couple of days ago. Got similar response and have changed my mind.

If we do have a terrier then it will probably be kept indoors and lurcher out in kennel. Do people think this would work? Or would lurcher get jealous of terrier being inside? Ie when we get back from field he has to go in kennel but terrier doesn't.

Gaz

i had to get rid of a lurcher because he was fighting with my jrt so got a bedy whippet bitch and they get on grate. i think you can have one dog one bitch together but two dog will fight especially if you have a terrier they dont know when to stop.but dont people think it is more to do with what x you have as a bullx mite be guicker to fight.

Seriously lads, just search the pages of the forum and there are a number of threads where Terriers have been killed in kennell fights or seriously mauled in the back of a car. The threads all go the same way, "They have been kennelled together for years from pup and never had a disagreement..." blah blah. Everyone says the same they have said here and a another lesson has been learned the hard way.

Only a few months back my lamping partener lost a terrier to a bull lurcher he was looking after while he was with the dogs in the yard, the terrier decided to start and in a flash the lurcher had mauled the dog so badly it had to be shot! This lad knows not to ever kennell terriers with other dogs and still accidents manage to occur. Ive had a friend whos lost a big strong pat to his other terriers becuase he kennelled 3 terriers together!

"A wise man learns not only from his own mistakes but also others"

Seriously lads, just search the pages of the forum and there are a number of threads where Terriers have been killed in kennell fights or seriously mauled in the back of a car. The threads all go the same way, "They have been kennelled together for years from pup and never had a disagreement..." blah blah. Everyone says the same they have said here and a another lesson has been learned the hard way.

Only a few months back my lamping partener lost a terrier to a bull lurcher he was looking after while he was with the dogs in the yard, the terrier decided to start and in a flash the lurcher had mauled the dog so badly it had to be shot! This lad knows not to ever kennell terriers with other dogs and still accidents manage to occur. Ive had a friend whos lost a big strong pat to his other terriers becuase he kennelled 3 terriers together!

"A wise man learns not only from his own mistakes but also others"

spot on :thumbs:

What do you all reckon to keeping some dogs out and some dogs in house?

Does it cause jealousy issues?

Ive got a lurcher dog who I am in process of moving outside in a kennel and we are thinking about getting a terrier bitch to live inside, since finding out that it isnt advised to kennel together. Could it work out?

Gaz

What do you all reckon to keeping some dogs out and some dogs in house?

Does it cause jealousy issues?

Ive got a lurcher dog who I am in process of moving outside in a kennel and we are thinking about getting a terrier bitch to live inside, since finding out that it isnt advised to kennel together. Could it work out?

Gaz

I shouldnt worry about it pal, but im no dog behaviourist. As long as the lurcher doesnt have to sit in its kennel watching and listening to you playing/feeding the terrier there shouldnt be jealousy issues. Why cant you knock up another small terrier kennel? Tbh if ones gotta be in the house and one kenneled I would probably do it the other way round, just because terriers can be scutty dirty little fuckers when out and about, imo a running dog makes a better 'house' dog. Kennel em both if ya can though, no rush while pups.