Just started some rabbiting for a local farm, plenty about so I've been ferreting them before spring arrives with vengence...They are big into conservation and leave the usual headlands and summer fallow to encourage wild birds like the grey partridge... I noticed some mink footings and set a 116 baited, the recent rain had caused a rise in level and disturbed the set, checked today and mr minks curiousity failed him....The set was not remade fully..

Mink.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am glad i dont have smelly internet because i would smell some bullshit on the threads on this site.well done with the mink ian they do want killing all year round.we cant sell pelts in this country

Posted Images

Just started some rabbiting for a local farm, plenty about so I've been ferreting them before spring arrives with vengence...They are big into conservation and leave the usual headlands and summer fallow to encourage wild birds like the grey partridge... I noticed some mink footings and set a 116 baited, the recent rain had caused a rise in level and disturbed the set, checked today and mr minks curiousity failed him....The set was not remade fully..

Fook me mate thats a big one..i knew it was big when i seen the prints but not that big.. :icon_eek: ..dont worry about the pelt just keep up the good work all through the year and kill as many as you can and the squirrels.. :thumbs: .

DW I'm just doing the old vermin control, bit of wildlife conservation...I'd trap them all year round if there about because of the damage they do, I'm no american fur harvester, what do you take me for davey crocket..:laugh: ... Good effort on the mink though on your part, although I'd be doing it year round, prime pelt or not..... Save our native wildlife and fauna...:D

davy-crockett-fess-parker.jpg

TOO LATE IN THE SEASON IAN ,

DUCKWING

To my knowledge they is no season or close for this nonindiginous pest species, fook the pound signs just kill them on sight, this species of mustelid is very dangerous to our ecosystem and needs controlling even if it cost's the trapper/shooter money.

WELL L.R. ,

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU THERE ........ HAVE YOU EXAMINED THE STOMACH CONTENTS OF A LOT OF MINK CAUGHT EVERY SEASON FOR A FEW YRS ? , MOST STOMACHS HAVE PROVED THEY ARE LIVING ON FROGS , MICE , RATS ETC THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME .......

YES THEY CAN REALLY CAUSE A LOT OF DAMAGE TO PHEASENTS , POULTRY ETC THATS KEPT WITHIN A CONFINED AREA OR CONSONTRATED WITHIN A SMALL LOCALLITY ........ JUST LIKE ...... THE FOX , STOAT , BADGER ETC , ETC , ETC

AND ......... YES I BELIVE IN TRAPPING YEAR ROUND AROUND POULTRY PENS AND THE LIKE .......

BUT ........

LIKE THE FOX , RABBIT , ETC I BELIVE THERE NUMBERS SHOULD BE REDUCED TO ACCEPTABLE LEVELS IN

SEASON .....NOT........

SUMMER TIME FOR OBVIOUS REASONS ,

IT ALWAYS AMAZES ME WHEN I LOOK AT THREADS ON HERE AND SPEAK TO OTHERS HOW MANY FELLAS TRAP MORE IN THE SUMMER TIME THAN THE WINTER .. THAT TELLS ME MORE ABOUT THEM .... AS TRAPPERS THAN A LONG WINDED CONVERSATION COULD :yes:

HEY . IAN ,

YOU WILL HAVE TO TRAP A FEW MORE THAN THAT TO MAKE UP YOURSELF A DAVEY CROCKETT ..... . XXL :laugh:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

as duckwing said.what life would some on here have with nothing to trap.id say 90% of fox at my places do no harm at all and yet still killed for the sake of it.gun boys put paid to most of them for no other reason than to say they had this many this year.mink down my way have had hell of a problem.not from trapping but from diseae maybe.even the local mink hound pack done bad.and yet i like to see them about the streams,the same as i like to see fox cubs playing in the evening.

they are not a native species so everything native ,is then under pressure from the foreign species , had them on some local lakes and they destroy ponds during the winter when fish are a bit dormant , they also put big pressure on the water vole which has no deffence from the mink

GO FORTH AND TERMINATE MR CROCKETT !!!!!!!!!!!!! :gunsmilie::big_boss:

they are not a native species so everything native ,is then under pressure from the foreign species , had them on some local lakes and they destroy ponds during the winter when fish are a bit dormant , they also put big pressure on the water vole which has no deffence from the mink

GO FORTH AND TERMINATE MR CROCKETT !!!!!!!!!!!!! :gunsmilie::big_boss:

think the mink are here to stay.same as grey squirrels and even the rabit when you think that they aint a true native species also.

Ian, Tell me some more if you would? Im quite into mink trapping and keen to know what sort of water system you caught this on? Was it a large river, brook small stream or a petty ditch with nothing more than glorified rain water? Reason im asking is ive been getting some padding on a small stream, very small stream which i wouldnt of thought mink would wander.

It was trapped on a stream that feeds into an estuary, just observing the stream walking alongside prints were evident and a trap set.... They will stray off these, just like otters will travel miles from a water source.