Hares

I guess the lurcher men and the shooters will never see eye to eye on this .......... i personally like to see hares given the respect for the survivors that they are, run with a dog and a fair match. Just my opinion obviously. :thumbs:

A very big :thumbs: on that one mate.Each to his own.P1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No justification to do something like this,even the worst of the worst in lurcher lads could never stoop to those standards,butchery in the name of sport.

course there would be! Rabbits are vermin pal! A hare isnt. It was the kings sport mate to run a dog on hare.. Feck me, at one time the rule was, you couldnt hunt hares on a sunday, now you can kill f

how the f**k can you not be allowed run your dog on say five hares in one day but you can shoot over 200, this country is f*****g backwards.

what a waste of life :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: should have been shooting that was band. s**t like that makes me feel sick :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: was there any need to shoot that many ??? and they say its the lurcher men that are barbaric :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by hullhunter
  • Like 1

Not my cup of tea BUT......sometimes its needed in the management when they are in Big Numbers like that......at the end of the day......Farming etc is a Business and can you imagine that lot eating into your profits.

Yes.....it would of been nice to see a GOOD Coursing Dog behind a Hare but no one could take out that number of Hares with a Kennell full of TOP QUALITY Coursing Dogs.

It was all about CONTROL.......NOT SPORT......its Business.

Yup

On the shooting sports forum.

If they have to do it ,they have to do it, No lurcherman will like it ,but,,thats the way it goes.

Made me feel very uneasy looking at the pics ,but it`s been done for 100 years so it has no effect on hare numbers for lurchers (when legal)

My first thoughts were - thats obscene shooting that many. However when you think more they are all wild and if they are shooting those numbers year in year out clearly the population can withstand it. Whats more the numbers clearly need to be controlled. Is it because numbers are lower elsewhere that the rest of us think its not on. If he had written saying he had caught that number of rabbits there would have been loads of congratulations and well done's on here. I personally can not even imagine that number of hares or for that matter the damage they could cause.

Edited by stoaty1

My first thoughts were - thats obscene shooting that many. However when you think more they are all wild and if they are shooting those numbers year in year out clearly the population can withstand it. Whats more the numbers clearly need to be controlled. Is it because numbers are lower elsewhere that the rest of us think its not on. If he had written saying he had caught that number of rabbits there would have been loads of congratulations and well done's on here. I personally can not even imagine that number of hares or for that matter the damage they could cause.

course there would be! Rabbits are vermin pal! A hare isnt. It was the kings sport mate to run a dog on hare.. Feck me, at one time the rule was, you couldnt hunt hares on a sunday, now you can kill fecking 100's! It is the most powerful of all our wild animals to live on top of our land. It is magical, and majestic in its own right.. And it has nothing to do with the numbers being lower, its the fact that they survive through every kind of predation, and live in harsh cold winter enviroments, struggle, run at speeds of breath taking power. Then bang bang bang say it again another 200+ times..

Its a crime in my eyes. I actually love it(preban) when a good strong hare outfoxs the dog and gets away to run another day, you think "wow, what an animal". People have passion mate. So i would say basically, no it has nothing to do with numbers low...

• Like 4

trust me hares are special to me. I have flown hawks at them and run them with dogs. Each one has been an amazing memory that gones on for me a hell of a long time. I fully appreciate what amazing creatures they are - marvels of nature. When they are there in those numbers though they need to controlled. Vermin is a term we put on animals and I am sure the farmers there will class them as such.

If the brown hare is in decline why the isn't their a bag limit or quota system I know some decry the americans for a lot of their actions but they would have a tag system and make damned sure that the numbers recover. It seems a shame that the gwct hasn't tried a relocation program to repopulate areas with poor numbers I would far sooner see the hares netted and moved than at the game dealers.

Looking at resent headlines it is clear that it is far easier to blame dogmen for the hares decline than accept that the increase in predators and modern farming practice has done for the hare.

If the hare is to survive then landowners and people who shoot need educating as do the dogmen who feel they need a dog that will "destroy" everything fact is non of the petty name calling will help the hare but reason and education will.

No having a good at you steve.same as most every man to his own.But i do seem to remember reading.Some shooters refuseing to help in our fight against the ban.Wounder why :hmm: Maybe they like hares.:laugh:

Aye and I can remember some dogmen staying at home doing f**k all to help the cause too same as most of the fishermen and clay shooters and who ever else you care to mention :thumbs:

No having a good at you steve.same as most every man to his own.But i do seem to remember reading.Some shooters refuseing to help in our fight against the ban.Wounder why :hmm: Maybe they like hares.:laugh:

Aye and I can remember some dogmen staying at home doing f**k all to help the cause too same as most of the fishermen and clay shooters and who ever else you care to mention :thumbs:

that sure looks like your after an argument dan. CAnt work out wether your for or against or on the fence..

that sure looks like your after an argument dan. CAnt work out wether your for or against or on the fence..

Definitely not after an argument but I wish lads would stop tarring all men who shoot with the same brush we are not the enemy here the anti's are who took OUR sport, Just to clarify though I don't/won't shoot hares never have never will much sooner see them run :thumbs: