Run ins with the law and keepers yrs ago to now

I,ve had many chases, and few court apearences for poaching. It was back in my teens mostly, I'm 44 now. 1983 Got caught with 2 rabbits and a lamp. one lurcher. coming out a field. 2 old bill. Nicked me for poaching. Wouldnt take my dog, said he was gonna leave it there. I kicked of. Got assault charge to, Wareham majistrates day and a half trail. Guilty on poaching, not guilty on assault. sentence. Bind over to keep the peace for one year. How much did that cost.

Nowadays im polite, and apologise unless they go to far. I dont go for the chase no more, just drive at 30mph, fook em. Too old for all that. too old to care.

Got stopped last week right in countryside, pitch black. by old bill. Dog and lamp up, They wasnt bothered too much. It was dark and they looked a bit trashed. THE KEEPERS WERE LOOKING FOR TROUBLE YEARS AGO BUT CHECK THIS HISTORY OUT,

Records of violent clashes date back at least to 1322, when a fight between keepers and poachers was reported.

But the bloody heyday was the 18th century when, according to the late Desmond Hawkins, Cranborne Chase's main historian, deer were poached "on an industrial scale"

In his Anecdotes and History of Cranborne Chase, first published in 1818, Chettle clergyman William Chafin describes the murder of a gamekeeper called Tollerfield as he made his way home from an Easter service at Fontmell Magna in 1738.

"He was found quite dead, having been most dreadfully beaten and bruised with bludgeons or clubs and his skull fractured."

Several suspects were apprehended but no-one was ever charged for want of evidence.

Another keeper was beaten to death by sticks and staves at Vernditch, near Woodyates.

One of the culprits, called Wheeler, was executed and hung in chains before his remains were "rescued" by his accomplices and thrown down a deep well, chains and all.

Perhaps the most notorious clash occurred at the spot known as Bloody Shard Gate in Bussey Stool Walk in December 1780.

On one side was a group of deer-stealers, who had "assembled at Pimperne" and were armed with vicious weapons called swindgels, similar to flails used for threshing corn.

On the other was a similar number of keepers armed with "sticks and short hangers".

The poachers attacked first, breaking one keeper's kneecap, which rendered him lame for life, and breaking another's ribs, an injury that eventually caused his death.

The keepers fought back, inflicting "dreadful cuts and wounds" on the deer-stealers, who were forced to surrender.

The gang's leader, a Pimperne man called Blandford, who happened to be a sergeant in the Dragoons, suffered the worst injury, having his hand severed from the arm just above the wrist.

Blandford was carried to a nearby lodge, where Chafin, visiting next morning, "saw his hand in the window".

Blandford and his companions were initially sentenced to seven years' transportation but this was commuted to "indefinite imprisonment" on account of their "great suffering" from their wounds in prison.

The dragoon's hand, meanwhile, was buried in Pamphill churchyard "with full military honours".

Another battle with fatal consequences took place in 1791, after 10 gamekeepers lay in wait for a persistent and "villainous gang of deer-stealers at Rushmore Walk.

The poachers, also ten in number, were wearing protective "bee-pot" hats, made of straw in the manner of beehives.

But this was not enough to save one poacher, who died instantly after being struck in the temple by a keeper's staff.

"A most desperate engagement immediately ensued," writes Chafin. "Many wounds were given and received on both sides."

Some poachers escaped but others were convicted and transported for life.

The final event reported in Chafin's book occurred in December 1816, less than two years before publication.

It involved four poachers from Donhead, including a soldier from the Wiltshire Cavalry, threatened two of Lord Rivers' Bussey Stool Walk keepers at gunpoint.

But the intrepid keepers refused to capitulate, instead attacking the poachers with their hangers, wounding one in the head, another in the neck.

One of the poachers was captured and the others dropped their weapons and fled.

Their jailed companion, aggrieved at being deserted, took revenge by dobbing in his colleagues, two of whom were subsequently transported for seven years.

Despite the violence, surviving legends of the poachers tend to have a romantic flavour.

An inscription on a tombstone in Sixpenny Handley churchyard notes that when deer-stealing was at its height, poachers used to lift the lid of the tomb and hide the carcases inside until they had a chance to move them on

Edited by Roebuck Rod
  • Like 2

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Classic... Out right bragging about stealing someones ferrets......low as f**k

Its hard to be careful when the bloods up and it wouldn't be the first time I have steamed in and realised I was proper outmatched thats when it pays to calm down accept what the lads are doing ain't

I,ve had many chases, and few court apearences for poaching. It was back in my teens mostly, I'm 44 now. 1983 Got caught with 2 rabbits and a lamp. one lurcher. coming out a field. 2 old bill. Nicked

Posted Images

:blink:

I,ve had many chases, and few court apearences for poaching. It was back in my teens mostly, I'm 44 now. 1983 Got caught with 2 rabbits and a lamp. one lurcher. coming out a field. 2 old bill. Nicked me for poaching. Wouldnt take my dog, said he was gonna leave it there. I kicked of. Got assault charge to, Wareham majistrates day and a half trail. Guilty on poaching, not guilty on assault. sentence. Bind over to keep the peace for one year. How much did that cost.

six months later, in pusuit of game, namely deer. two lurchers. Took swabs from dogs mouths, went guilty. £200 fine. Wareham majistrates. Wareham police had poaching patrols for deer hunters and would have kits to swab dogs. It was red hot.

Got chased a fare few times by keepers and farmers. Got caught pheasant shootng with catapult, Blandford majistrates court. My solicoter said give him the maximum penalty. They wasnt amused when they came back out to sentence me. The maximum sentence was 50 quid. Ha

Critchel, crambourne chase, probally hotest place in country for the last 300 yrs Didnt stop me. Had keepers ram me, My mate ran one over, broke his leg. Dangerous place to be, guns pointed at me. but being young thrived on danger. Police stopped me once with keepers. Took me on. Keepers cut my wires in car, f****d me old austin 1300 GT. So i politly returned a favour by cutting barbed wire fences all night for miles. Thats how it was back then. But i would go to salisbury plains on hares every sunday, Only got hassle once, keeper threatened to shoot dogs. Army in tanks drove past. they just nodded, didnt care.

Nowadays im polite, and apologise unless they go to far. I dont go for the chase no more, just drive at 30mph, fook em. Too old for all that. too old to care.

Got stopped last week right in countryside, pitch black. by old bill. Dog and lamp up, They wasnt bothered too much. It was dark and they were bit trashed. Once my name come back on pnc, They jumped back in car and fooked off. One officer reconised my son who was a national champion boxer. They couldnt of been more polite.

THE KEEPERS WERE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR TROUBLE YEARS AGO BUT CHECK THIS HISTORY OUT,

Records of violent clashes date back at least to 1322, when a fight between keepers and poachers was reported.

But the bloody heyday was the 18th century when, according to the late Desmond Hawkins, Cranborne Chase's main historian, deer were poached "on an industrial scale"

In his Anecdotes and History of Cranborne Chase, first published in 1818, Chettle clergyman William Chafin describes the murder of a gamekeeper called Tollerfield as he made his way home from an Easter service at Fontmell Magna in 1738.

"He was found quite dead, having been most dreadfully beaten and bruised with bludgeons or clubs and his skull fractured."

Several suspects were apprehended but no-one was ever charged for want of evidence.

Another keeper was beaten to death by sticks and staves at Vernditch, near Woodyates.

One of the culprits, called Wheeler, was executed and hung in chains before his remains were "rescued" by his accomplices and thrown down a deep well, chains and all.

Perhaps the most notorious clash occurred at the spot known as Bloody Shard Gate in Bussey Stool Walk in December 1780.

On one side was a group of deer-stealers, who had "assembled at Pimperne" and were armed with vicious weapons called swindgels, similar to flails used for threshing corn.

On the other was a similar number of keepers armed with "sticks and short hangers".

The poachers attacked first, breaking one keeper's kneecap, which rendered him lame for life, and breaking another's ribs, an injury that eventually caused his death.

The keepers fought back, inflicting "dreadful cuts and wounds" on the deer-stealers, who were forced to surrender.

The gang's leader, a Pimperne man called Blandford, who happened to be a sergeant in the Dragoons, suffered the worst injury, having his hand severed from the arm just above the wrist.

Blandford was carried to a nearby lodge, where Chafin, visiting next morning, "saw his hand in the window".

Blandford and his companions were initially sentenced to seven years' transportation but this was commuted to "indefinite imprisonment" on account of their "great suffering" from their wounds in prison.

The dragoon's hand, meanwhile, was buried in Pamphill churchyard "with full military honours".

Another battle with fatal consequences took place in 1791, after 10 gamekeepers lay in wait for a persistent and "villainous gang of deer-stealers at Rushmore Walk.

The poachers, also ten in number, were wearing protective "bee-pot" hats, made of straw in the manner of beehives.

But this was not enough to save one poacher, who died instantly after being struck in the temple by a keeper's staff.

"A most desperate engagement immediately ensued," writes Chafin. "Many wounds were given and received on both sides."

The final event reported in Chafin's book occurred in December 1816, less than two years before publication.

It involved four poachers from Donhead, including a soldier from the Wiltshire Cavalry, threatened two of Lord Rivers' Bussey Stool Walk keepers at gunpoint.

But the intrepid keepers refused to capitulate, instead attacking the poachers with their hangers, wounding one in the head, another in the neck.

Their jailed companion, aggrieved at being deserted, took revenge by dobbing in his colleagues, two of whom were subsequently transported for seven years.

Despite the violence, surviving legends of the poachers tend to have a romantic flavour.

An inscription on a tombstone in Sixpenny Handley churchyard notes that when deer-stealing was at its height, poachers used to lift the lid of the tomb and hide the carcases inside until they had a chance to move them on

2000'sh while on the way home from lamping,had 4 rabbits in car,pulled bye police hellicopter,above? :blink: 4 police cars :blink: one police van :blink::whistling: when car stopped i got out with the 4 rabbits nd said "fair cop mate"!"am gunna pack lamping up and go into cereal killing or somthing has you dont get bothered bye police as much much for that!"no charges where made but what a waste of money nd resorces all that for 4 rabbits :o

went lamping near whitley bay years ago with two mates and were ambushedby keeper and farm hands and beaten black and blue then marched to farm where i spotted a lovely looking stick and then went to town on the twats befor filth turned up and was arrested when they saw the state of my neck [strangled] and face [booted] they had words with keeper and let me go .a few months later i was at a lurcher show and one of the judges was one of the pricks who assaulted me so i entered my dog and when he asked to see dog i hit him and told every one what had happened the show ended shortly after and i made loads of mates thruogh my actions

cou;d tell afew good tales then and now nowadays more informers and do gooders in certain areas ,you just have to be quite at times and be ready for what comes along had some good chases eighties early ninties we had some laughs even now i get alaugh giving them it tite some times ,

many years ago on hopetoun estate.folding 410 and yea were chased a few times.to old for all that now and my knee would give up the ghost if i had to start jumping gates and climbing walls these days lol

lol yea most keepers are pretty game.well they were back in the old days.my own gripe with hopetoun estate was once they stretched wire across the fields at dog height :thumbdown: .

there still teaming with hares on that estate aswell.

many years ago on hopetoun estate.folding 410 and yea were chased a few times.to old for all that now and my knee would give up the ghost if i had to start jumping gates and climbing walls these days lol

[lol yea most keepers are pretty game.well they were back in the old days.my own gripe with hopetoun estate was once they stretched wire across the fields at dog height :thumbdown: .

there is a new keeper now think you said enough on here scothunter empty your pm,s mate i send you a message :thumbs:

lol yea most keepers are pretty game.well they were back in the old days.my own gripe with hopetoun estate was once they stretched wire across the fields at dog height :thumbdown: .

there is a new keeper now think you said enough on here scothunter empty your pm,s mate i send you a message :thumbs:

done mate :thumbs:

:blink:

six months later, in pusuit of game, namely deer. two lurchers. Took swabs from dogs mouths, went guilty. £200 fine. Wareham majistrates. Wareham police had poaching patrols for deer hunters and would have kits to swab dogs. It was red hot.

Got chased a fare few times by keepers and farmers. Got caught pheasant shootng with catapult, Blandford majistrates court. My solicoter said give him the maximum penalty. They wasnt amused when they came back out to sentence me. The maximum sentence was 50 quid. Ha

Critchel, crambourne chase, probally hotest place in country for the last 300 yrs Didnt stop me. Had keepers ram me, My mate ran one over, broke his leg. Dangerous place to be, guns pointed at me. but being young thrived on danger. Police stopped me once with keepers. Took me on. Keepers cut my wires in car, f****d me old austin 1300 GT. So i politly returned a favour by cutting barbed wire fences all night for miles. Thats how it was back then. But i would go to salisbury plains on hares every sunday, Only got hassle once, keeper threatened to shoot dogs. Army in tanks drove past. they just nodded, didnt care.

Got stopped last week right in countryside, pitch black. by old bill. Dog and lamp up, They wasnt bothered too much. It was dark and they were bit trashed. Once my name come back on pnc, They jumped back in car and fooked off. One officer reconised my son who was a national champion boxer. They couldnt of been more polite.

THE KEEPERS WERE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR TROUBLE YEARS AGO BUT CHECK THIS HISTORY OUT,

2000'sh while on the way home from lamping,had 4 rabbits in car,pulled bye police hellicopter,above? :blink: 4 police cars :blink: one police van :blink::whistling: when car stopped i got out with the 4 rabbits nd said "fair cop mate"!"am gunna pack lamping up and go into cereal killing or somthing has you dont get bothered bye police as much much for that!"no charges where made but what a waste of money nd resorces all that for 4 rabbits :o

What would you have killed? Frosties, Corn flakes or the mighty Weetabix?

Sorry mate, It's my daft humour :thumbs:

in the good old days while poaching you had to be on your toes from cops and keepers but we loved every minute of it cat and mouse games switching lamp off sneaking around keepers yard slashing tyres nicking his ferets cutting fences no wonder they hated me! its funny tho i got permission further afield and it just wasnt the same as poaching :gunsmilie: