how much time/what age

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To many pups are never giving the chance to grow up and mature lot off people see pup big in size and think that because it has the height and weight it should be doing fox like and older dog and that

me too ive seen dogs that are good on both.

Ban was 5 years ago lol   Try again.   FTB

At what age or how long would some of you give to a lurcher to enter to fox single handed,1 year old..2 year old etc etc ? :thumbs: (Pre Ban)

2 years mate, ad start with bunny's then hare then small deer! then dubble up on fox for a few runs!

some dog's will do it younger, but thats other lads dog's you take a risk with a young dog and it may not want to know , then you've a dog know good for the job, so its PTS or live with it!

what every the out come it's down to you!! far better to wait let the dog grow up (not just size) I mean in the mind!

:thumbs:

At what age or how long would some of you give to a lurcher to enter to fox single handed,1 year old..2 year old etc etc ? :thumbs: (Pre Ban)

2 years mate, ad start with bunny's then hare then small deer! then dubble up on fox for a few runs!

some dog's will do it younger, but thats other lads dog's you take a risk with a young dog and it may not want to know , then you've a dog know good for the job, so its PTS or live with it!

what every the out come it's down to you!! far better to wait let the dog grow up (not just size) I mean in the mind!

A good fox dog will never be a good rabbit dog! 18-22 months some go younger and jack so dont think you have a tool until proven, Some dogs do start young and carry on doing charlie most will jack! JMO

Have to disagree with that one mate.

me too ive seen dogs that are good on both.

• Like 1

A good fox dog will never be a good rabbit dog! 18-22 months some go younger and jack so dont think you have a tool until proven, Some dogs do start young and carry on doing charlie most will jack! JMO

Have to disagree with that one mate.

Im talking live to hand, consistantly there isn't many.

I have been told to start my dog off at 12 month old with another and see how she reacts then see what she does on her own, if the ban wasn't in place id get my dog on them now. If they aren't keen when a year old they probably never will be. What's the point in waiting til they're so an so old, they either have it or they don't. This is all just my opinion and im hardly an expert. Im also talking about bull x's in particular, i wouldn't expect a collie x or a saluki x to start taking bite back animals at a 'young' age so to speak. :thumbs:

mine bitch is 4 1/2 yrs and dose both brings rabbits live to hand every time :thumbs:

lamp

Ban was 5 years ago lol

Try again.

FTB

av never getin a letter tellim me there was a ban mate still waitin it to come :tongue2:

Edited by lamp+battery

Also disagree with that comment mate!

As i said just my opinion mate! Dogs for jobs, there never going to be the best doing both! :thumbs:

Sorry i also disagree. . :yes: Me personally master my dogs on rabbits an if they want Fox they catch them with ease :yes: an if you give them enough of both a clever dog learns to know where the fight is. .IMO.

An to answer the question different breeds different ages. Mine are shown them from 11 12 months with a experienced dog. Then if they still interested it dont take long for them to learn there job. . IMO.

All the best SHanded. . :thumbs: