Beagles

I've got a 6 month old lurcher that I'll be using to mooching for rabbits and ferreting next season. I want to get another dog for bushing and really fancy getting a beagle but from what I've read on here they seem like hard work and not really very practical. Does anyone work one with a lurcher and how good are they for this? From what I can gather they just go off doing their own thing, following a scent and completely ignoring their owner whenever they're on a scent.

The obvious solution would be to just get a spaniel but I do like the idea of getting a beagle, but I'd need to at least have a bit of control over it! What do you do if it picks up the scent of a fox or something that's ran a few fields away??? Just after some advice on the practicalities of owning this breed.....from someone that either has one or has had one in the past.

worked a few of them over the years, if they are any good they will be way to far ahead for you to catch much with a lurcher unless you do small patches of cover, if you work farms or cover regular you should be able to get a good idea where rabbits/ foxes will head to and position yourself there. doesn't always work. get yourself a spanielx beagle or beagle cross they dont range so far.

I've got a 6 month old lurcher that I'll be using to mooching for rabbits and ferreting next season. I want to get another dog for bushing and really fancy getting a beagle but from what I've read on here they seem like hard work and not really very practical. Does anyone work one with a lurcher and how good are they for this? From what I can gather they just go off doing their own thing, following a scent and completely ignoring their owner whenever they're on a scent.

The obvious solution would be to just get a spaniel but I do like the idea of getting a beagle, but I'd need to at least have a bit of control over it! What do you do if it picks up the scent of a fox or something that's ran a few fields away??? Just after some advice on the practicalities of owning this breed.....from someone that either has one or has had one in the past.

Id go for the spaniel, as they are the tool for the job (close range flushing).... ive worked beagle blooded dogs but had them mainly for driving game out of woods/covers. Your right enough, a beagle will hunt away on a scent, thats what their bred for.... lots of cross breds about that could suit your needs, but in general (from my experience) the more hound thats in them, the further they will follow a line.

I have had in the past a BeaglexHarrier and a GriffonxHarrier, the Beagle Cross was much better than the Griffon Cross, he was hunting cover and speaking on a line at about 41/2 months old, I never had a problem with recall with him, they were both hunted in a Bobbery Pack of Lurchers, Terriers an ESS and a GSP. The only problem was the Griffon Cross, she had no recall whatsoever.

post-43223-0-88540000-1293277506_thumb.jpg

i run a 6 beagles whith a lurcher, i find if i run them as a pack they will go and go and go,but take one and a lurcher and they will stay a lot closer and listen better.

i reckon 1 on its own will be spot on for bushing to a lurcher but as others have said stick 2 or more together and they'll be off on a scent before you know they've gone(i run 4 of them)lovely to watch and hear speaking but can be a nightmare.but maybe thats my fault but i'll keep trying..all the best with whatever you do. :thumbs:009.jpg