bedlington whippets

when i set out to look for my first lurcher for rabbiting only,i didnt want anything to big, so i decided on a beddy whip, but, i wanted one around 21"? and more to the whipp side, and i kno where youre coming from, cos some of these crosses can throw smaller than mine, so i did a bit of home work, and got told make sure the dam was a whipp, and a decent sized one, sire was a 22" beedy whipp, so this ticked all the boxes for me! and shes turned out 21" and very whippety! lamps! bushes! excells at rabbing, so couldnt ask for anymore of her, some people just like the looks of these little dogs, others think you cant beat this breed? i guess its there own prefrence, like i said i kno where youre coming from with a dog 23" ive seen some cracking dogs this size, and prob next lurcher i get would be around 23"? hope i aint cotradicting my self?

CIMG0450.jpg

CIMG0448.jpg

cracking little bitch that,a credit to ye,atb jamiew

nice looking dog

all i can see would be better coat,better feet,better nose,chances are they will hunt up in cover a bit cheaper to feed but i agree 100%,im not fussed about dogs under 24inch as id like to think that pre ban my dog would have a crack at whatever you might bump into where as a 18inch beddyx probably woant,not to say that there arnt any decent ones out there that would of easily pulled charlie,just chances are not many will make the grade

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when i set out to look for my first lurcher for rabbiting only,i didnt want anything to big, so i decided on a beddy whip, but, i wanted one around 21"? and more to the whipp side, and i kno where yo

why not have beddy whippet greyhound

i might be biast here cos i like the beddys i had a beddy grey he was 24 tts and was game as a badger would run any thing in the beam there are good things to come from the cross breding of beddys wh

Posted Images

having worked both whippet and bedlingtons and beddy/whippets for many years now :icon_redface: .. in general a whippet crossed bedlington in whatever percentage is not as quick as a pure whippet fact ... you are diluting the whippet and loosing the take off speed most off the time . you do produce a better thicker skin but when it gets wet the dog feels the cold more as the jacket is so thin and holds the water .. i can also assure you you do not need to put bedlington into a whippet for fire . a good whippet has a lot more fire and gameness than a lot of people realise , just cause they are quiet trust me they can hold there own i have seen it even with charlie they can hold there own pre ban of coarse :whistling: .. only downfall in a whippet i can see is it lacks height for spotting and weight for bigger game but unless you have had first hand experience in working whippets and i mean working them not keeping them as pet/workers then you will have your eyes opened if you get the chance to go out with someone who works them ... i also notice more vocal tendances in whippet / bedlingtons as they can lack the take off and get frustrated working rabbits in close procsimity :thumbs:

Thats how I have found them in the past yappy and a bit slow. My own lurchers coat used to became useless in the wet. I still think the same about them having taken peoples veiws on board.

I do see them as being use full but really more as a dog in a breeding program. Iv seen some excellent dogs produced my mates Dog is the most game dog Iv ever seen and im sure this is down to his bed whippet dam but has a bit more about him due to his saluki greyhound father.

Theres plenty of terreir boys can vouch for "Niger" at 21 inches pound for pound he takes some beating. !

Edited by baldockbanks courser

iceman if that was aimed at me its called a joke...

and i think you talk utter shite anyway on loads of

threads you know f**k all about.. but i dont moan

just ignore your posts! go and wrap your curs in

cotton wool..

Had any thing say to you l pm you and l dont know anything that's good nice till know so why don't you head on out fishing and is that was joke you should take up stand up because your good real good also good talking shit later

Dont want to put every bed whippet owners back up but...

before I start 13 years ago I breed a 26 inch saluki lurcher to a M drews bed whippet alfred as you can tell by his name he was a typical example of the breed. My bitch pup took back after him in looks and finnished at 19- 20 inches. she served me well on rabbits taking 10 - 15 rabbits on a good few nights.

If she came up a bigger animal as I hoped for Im sure she would have been better again on rabbits and more versatile.

What is the point in purpouslie breeding a small bed whippet when a whippet will do the same job?

A 23 inch lurcher dog will do a better job on the lamp, ferreting and catching flushed game.

Its not that I dont like the bedlington in the mix but why not use a greyhound to make a bigger dog? Alot that iv seen strugle (unlike whippets) to catch rabbits in the open only succeding on the hedge line. i.m.o there to small for a lurcher and to big for a terreir.

Thank you hunting people.food bills,space,running ground,true beddie's are mute,, whippets tend to yap, :whistling:

before I start 13 years ago I breed a 26 inch saluki lurcher to a M drews bed whippet alfred as you can tell by his name he was a typical example of the breed. My bitch pup took back after him in looks and finnished at 19- 20 inches. she served me well on rabbits taking 10 - 15 rabbits on a good few nights.

If she came up a bigger animal as I hoped for Im sure she would have been better again on rabbits and more versatile.

What is the point in purpouslie breeding a small bed whippet when a whippet will do the same job?

A 23 inch lurcher dog will do a better job on the lamp, ferreting and catching flushed game.

Its not that I dont like the bedlington in the mix but why not use a greyhound to make a bigger dog? Alot that iv seen strugle (unlike whippets) to catch rabbits in the open only succeding on the hedge line. i.m.o there to small for a lurcher and to big for a terreir.

Thank you hunting people.food bills,space,running ground,true beddie's are mute,, whippets tend to yap, :whistling:

I never said that last statement about food space ground and yapping. hows that been changed ( mods ) to look that way. thats a bit dodgie someone can do that!! not right.

I said that Edited by baldockbanks courser

i recon putting the beddy to them toughens them up and makes them less fragile plus heres a pic of my bed/whip/grey mostly bed/whip with touch of grey he can take more then rabbit regularly must admit i would say hes just as good on the long ears on the lamp as the bunnies and can do odd charlie dont think it would be regular but never really tested on them that way as round by me dont see many, dont usualy take pics when out but got one or two when with my friend he was 12 months old here plus had a few day time all in big fields aswell not gonna lie hes far from a world beater but he does me and thats all that counts

post-53929-0-74178000-1293065832_thumb.jpg

I never said that last statement about food space ground and yapping. hows that been changed ( mods ) to look that way. thats a bit dodgie someone can do that!! not right.

I said that

:whistling: twas me nd it wasnt ment to look like you said it,lol it just happen that way if a small dog can do all you need why clean more poop, :blink:looks like i took the words right out of my mouth,looks like i said what you said i said,lol thats very funny but just not right,lmao,,,,HELP :icon_eek:how did you make me say that? Edited by hickymick

why u just moaning about beddy crosses why not jackrussle x or bull x or collie x ? can i just ask? :whistling:

why not read what I asked properlie ? ! !

Im not moanig about bedlingtons as the base blood at all.

Yes it probablie does applie to most whirrers compared to a good game whippet too. but if you make a question to broard you never find the answers your looking for. the lad with the hare in the picture hasnt got a bed whippet probablie why it caught it im just purly talking about breeding a first cross.

If I wanted a 20 inch or smaller dog just for rabbit Id get a whippet myself.

• 12 years later...