agression .

Well the breed isn't known for aggression and it seems the bowl has become"hers" so the hand feeding or holding the bowl could be helpful. But I would just keep the bowl myself and use it to show your and your families dominance to her. With the pup on the lead everyone gets to hold and handle the bowl with food in it out of her reach. Usually something like that leads to bones and toys being protected. Any noise or protest has to be corrected. If she is not close by you can try a spray bottle set to stream aim for the face along with vocal reprimand. Usually smaller dogs are allowed to be possesive because people think it's "cute".

:thumbs: im trying something very similar as we speak and it seems she only reacts when SHE has the bowl... ive put her some food down on a tray and she is fine with it and not doing a thing as my wife or eldest lad walks by. should i just get shut of the bowl and start over with a new one ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take control,put it in its place,firm but fair.

The pup is establishing its place in the pack this needs sorting now before it does bite. as above be firm but fair but take his food off him as he eats and floor him (Dog whisperer style)if he so muc

Feed the dog by hand, no bowl or guarding object- obedience for food, no free meals...

Guest crobinc840

She will just try the same thing with whatever she gets and eventually it might just be the food. It seems easy enough to just ditch the bowl all together but it is a dominance issue that could come up again. This bowl is a perfect trainning aid to put out any ideas of her dominating in the future. How does she react if she has a bone and you try to take it?

Guest crobinc840

Yeah, she has to be broken of the habit or she will dominate anything she considers hers. It can be dangerous with younger children when a dog does this. One day the kid can be throwing the ball for the dog and the next the kid goes to pick up the ball and gets bit. Because she sees you as the leader you can either be the boss and tell her she's at the bottom which is the easiest way to go or every member of the house will have to dominate her. I have a link somewhere with different methods, I'll find it for you.

hi all my 3 month old pup has all of a sudden started to get agressive when any one or thing goes near her while she eats. she has never done this before and came out of the blue. has any one got any advice or tips for me to stop this as i have three small kiddies and DONT want to get the pup re-homed OR SEE THE KIDS BITTEN

what cross is it mate

The domanance/alpha thing was debunked a long time ago, why do people still think that pinning and

beating need to be done!!! or even eating before a dog, we are not dogs and dogs know this

and neither are dogs wolfs. http://k9domain.org/alpha_theory.aspx

http://www.doglogic.com/possess.htm

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.pdf

Its also worth sitting on the floor at the side of the pup whilst its eating out of the bowl,

and slowley getting the pup used to you being there, adding bits of its food in to the bowl, slowly getting the pup

used to your hand being near it, if its your wife that the pup is doing it to, then it might be better

your wife doing it and doing the feeding for now, from day one all my dogs are shown that its ok if my hand is near the bowl or its ok if i remove something from them, they have no resion to protect anything from me, because they trust me.

ffs its a dog if it shows aggression sort it out the dog should be in no doubt whos the boss, watch how a bitch deals with a pup that oversteps the mark...this could literally come back to bite you...or a family member if you dont sort it now.

hi all my 3 month old pup has all of a sudden started to get agressive when any one or thing goes near her while she eats. she has never done this before and came out of the blue. has any one got any advice or tips for me to stop this as i have three small kiddies and DONT want to get the pup re-homed OR SEE THE KIDS BITTEN

what cross is it mate

ghxsaluki x whippet

The cross is irrelavant, get it sorted before it bites a kid.......

:thumbs: this is why i posted the question.. i dont want her biting anything BUT i must say that when she ate this morning both my wife and kids past her and she didnt snarl she just stepped away from her food with a "I'LL WAIT" to eat in a minute kind of look on her face so im hoping this is the way forward i shall see what happens later when shes fed again. once again thanks for all the advice folks