agression .

hi all my 3 month old pup has all of a sudden started to get agressive when any one or thing goes near her while she eats. she has never done this before and came out of the blue. has any one got any advice or tips for me to stop this as i have three small kiddies and DONT want to get the pup re-homed OR SEE THE KIDS BITTEN

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take control,put it in its place,firm but fair.

The pup is establishing its place in the pack this needs sorting now before it does bite. as above be firm but fair but take his food off him as he eats and floor him (Dog whisperer style)if he so muc

Feed the dog by hand, no bowl or guarding object- obedience for food, no free meals...

just feed out the way :thumbs:

i have started doing this but she dives straight at you even if you even if you just eating ...lets say a biscuit or holding a drink. this happens both indoors or out. i wanted an indoor dog for me to work and the kids to enjoys as a pet but i think its looking like a kennel and run job at the minute.. would you agree or is it worth me sticking at it to see if it changes at all?

The only dog that is really aggressive to humans is one which has learned to bite first or be beaten, or in very rare cases if it is a truly dominant animal which wants to be pack leader. At this age a pup is learning how to behave and live amongst humans. If the pup is lunging at you when you're eating it has been receiving mixed messages on how to behave. I've sent you a pm.

The pup is establishing its place in the pack this needs sorting now before it does bite. as above be firm but fair but take his food off him as he eats and floor him (Dog whisperer style)if he so much as growls. no need to beat him just let him know he is the lowest of the pack. but never trust a dog with kids anyway i have four dogs and a two year old grandson all the dogs are kennelled when he comes around

• Like 2

The pup is establishing its place in the pack this needs sorting now before it does bite. as above be firm but fair but take his food off him as he eats and floor him (Dog whisperer style)if he so much as growls. no need to beat him just let him know he is the lowest of the pack. but never trust a dog with kids anyway i have four dogs and a two year old grandson all the dogs are kennelled when he comes around

i have had older dogs before and they were great with my kids but was never trusted 100% with them. this is my first pup so ive never come across this before but thanks for all this advice :thumbs:

Make the dog wait for his food. Make him sit and put he bowl down for him. Every time he tries to go for the food correct him and make him sit again. When you're good and ready let him at the food.

Also, when he's feeding slip your hand at the bowl and, if he growls, correct him firmly and take the food away. Replace it again and make him wait till you're ready.

• Like 1

As has been said it's about establishing pack position. You need to establish you and your family's dominance before it becomes big enough to do damage. It should involve training in all sorts of areas, not just in regard to feeding time but in training to heel, sit, stay etc. That will help to establish the pack order. The Dog should only be fed after the family has eaten and you should be able to approach the Dog and remove it's food from it without so much as a snarl, if it does snarl them you need to pin it to the floor with a loud NO! Never show that you're intimidated by it, that's the worst thing that can happen, wear gauntlets if you're really concerned that it might do damage.

As has been said it's about establishing pack position. You need to establish you and your family's dominance before it becomes big enough to do damage. It should involve training in all sorts of areas, not just in regard to feeding time but in training to heel, sit, stay etc. That will help to establish the pack order. The Dog should only be fed after the family has eaten and you should be able to approach the Dog and remove it's food from it without so much as a snarl, if it does snarl them you need to pin it to the floor with a loud NO! Never show that you're intimidated by it, that's the worst thing that can happen, wear gauntlets if you're really concerned that it might do damage.

she is ALWAYS fed after we eat and does all the sit stay etc commands and does them well for her age she is fine with me but shows this agression to the rest of the family BUT if im next to her she wont do it. she will do as told e.g sit even by my 3 year old, she was fine until 2 days ago when she suddenly snapped out at my wife as she passed her while eating i thought at first she my have just been startled so let it go that once and it hasnst stopped.

Guest crobinc840

Keep her on a long lead or rope while feeding and have the wife walk by. If the pup reacts give the lead a yank and scold her(the puppy not the wife). She thinks the wife is below her so it would be a good idea to have the wife offer her the food and stand by the bowl. Correction is key in this instance. If the pup gets away with it it could get worse. What mix is the pup?

Keep her on a long lead or rope while feeding and have the wife walk by. If the pup reacts give the lead a yank and scold her(the puppy not the wife). She thinks the wife is below her so it would be a good idea to have the wife offer her the food and stand by the bowl. Correction is key in this instance. If the pup gets away with it it could get worse. What mix is the pup?

gh X saluki x whippet. i have literaly just fed her and tried food both in and out of her bowl she growld when food was in it but when i put some on the floor she didnt do a thing... any ideas on this one?

Guest crobinc840

Well the breed isn't known for aggression and it seems the bowl has become"hers" so the hand feeding or holding the bowl could be helpful. But I would just keep the bowl myself and use it to show your and your families dominance to her. With the pup on the lead everyone gets to hold and handle the bowl with food in it out of her reach. Usually something like that leads to bones and toys being protected. Any noise or protest has to be corrected. If she is not close by you can try a spray bottle set to stream aim for the face along with vocal reprimand. Usually smaller dogs are allowed to be possesive because people think it's "cute".