polecat still wont work

Some ferrets are better workers than others. Thats why you can not persume any ferret will be the best. The younger you train them the better but if they don't want to work they won't. If you have a small burrow that you know has rabbits home so she can def bolt one to get her started. You will then know if she is going to work.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

,if it wont work then it wont work you could spend the next 2 years trying and still nothing,however if it has a laid back temperment and good to handle why not give it to someone as an introduction t

the idea of putting a rabbit in the same cage as a ferret to help it get on working is a load of sh*ite a complete myth!!!!!!!!!!,and totally against what we are all about....

It's posts and responses like this gets ALL ferret owners/workers a bad name. And I stupidly thought that is what we were trying to avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive got the same problem with my jill,shes exactly like yours shes that bad the she climbed over my hob to day tha had hold of a bunny just to get out of the hole :icon_eek: i keep doing what others are saying to do but it isn't working,i think some just haven't got it

but the kids love her shes here to the end

Ive got a two year old polecat jill that does not seem interested in ferreting at all. When i put her to ground she either turns round and comes back out the same hole or just pops up at every hole. I know that there are rabbits at home because they bolt when i put my other jill down. The worst problem is that when its time to move on and my patients has been exhausted by her, she wont come out of the holes!!

I keep giving her a go everyday that we go because i know she wont learn anything in the box but im wondering if there is anything that i am doing wrong. She doesnt eat raw meat at all, just not interested in it and im wondering whether this is playing a part? She also will not rag a dead rabbit in the same way my other ferrets do?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

f**k her off then mate and get one that works give the other one to someone as a pet

Ive got a two year old polecat jill that does not seem interested in ferreting at all. When i put her to ground she either turns round and comes back out the same hole or just pops up at every hole. I know that there are rabbits at home because they bolt when i put my other jill down. The worst problem is that when its time to move on and my patients has been exhausted by her, she wont come out of the holes!!

I keep giving her a go everyday that we go because i know she wont learn anything in the box but im wondering if there is anything that i am doing wrong. She doesnt eat raw meat at all, just not interested in it and im wondering whether this is playing a part? She also will not rag a dead rabbit in the same way my other ferrets do?

Thanks

You say she won't eat raw meat . Could she have been fed on dry food from the start and develped a preference ? . I'm not saying starve her but maybe stop giving her the choice for a day or two-just a nice warm freshly opened bunny or some chopped rabbit meat .

I think Chalkwarren wrote a while back about some ex-laboratory ferrets that he owned that totally lacked a hunting instinct and a friend of mine had one that was actually terrified of even a dead rabbit. It would brush its tail up and retreat screaming for some reason.

Just to give you a grain of hope. One of my present jills was on the "useless" list for a couple of seasons but once she'd bolted her first bunny from a simple run-through under a cattle trough she never looked back . I have to admit that she's never been the hottest worker but is a real favourite for those places where digging is not an option because she's not one for sticking with a kill either .

Good luck. :thumbs:

chuck a live rabbit in the box with it while its out then put it down the set with working ferrets. if it keeps coming back out the same hole block it off so it has to go threw the set to get out.

feed it only rabbit and make sure its hungry before you go. dont feed the day before you go, as long as there well fed missing 1 day wont hurt it.

if this dosent work then either forget about working it or struggle on its up to you its your time you wasting.

hope it comes round for you but if me or the lads get one that dosent pick it up sharpish then there replaced.

Thanks

its a working animal that wont work ,its had long enough ,knock it on the head.

Thanks

its a working animal that wont work ,its had long enough ,knock it on the head.

sorry about that double quote thing above,,aint got the hang of this yet...but dont knock her on the head,,,theres plenty out there that will give her a good home,,not everyone hunts with their ferrets,,i dont,,,they are good pets..my kids love em,,,,if you dont want her pm me il have her,,,i live in medway,,cheers..other wise good luck with the perseveirance on the hunting front,,,

Its two year old digermad

:yes:,if it wont work then it wont work you could spend the next 2 years trying and still nothing,however if it has a laid back temperment and good to handle why not give it to someone as an introduction to ferrets?

forget the posts about knocking on the head that sort of attitude is not welcome!!!!!!!:no:

good luck

• Like 2

if shes laid back and used to handling il have her,,,,,the one i found i think is/was a worker,,her head was a bit red,,maybe from bunny blood i dunno,,shes put loadsa weight on now and filled out nicely..ive only had her a week,,shes a nipper though,,as my father in law found out much to his unwilling participation lol...i dont wanna put her in with my jills though just in case she does kick off...mine are well laid back,,so far in fact theyre horizontal,,,,fancy a swap? lol

as i said mate, not an option

it sounds to me mate that she came from a pet home just eating the dry food all day every day i think the best thing for her is give her away to a good pet home. ive seen this before if the parents never worked the chances are she wont i take all kits out at the age of 10 and 12 weeks and let them follow there parents sometimes it takes a bit of time but they all cotton on in the end hope this helps and all the best mike.

keep it and breed more rubbish out of it.

Thats how comes theres so many good lurchers and ferret about today. every thing has to earn its keep. next time it messes about put it out of its misery ith the spade. thers heaps of workers about orth feeding if u look.

Why not just re-home as a pet,plenty of people looking for one? !!!!!ATB