beating for the first time

the best thing to do with that dog is take it with you and get one of the gun men to shoot it,wat a waste ov time it is for anything else.

many regards thanks

just what the lad needs,some good friendly advise:doh: ,just work on the stop pal and ingnore the professional dog trainer:thumbs:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leave the dog at home!   No offense but you dont know what is going on yourself, throw in an untrained dog in a situation where there is likely to be a lot of birds and you are asking for trouble.

A dog learns nothing being at home!!

Here is my advice:

1. Leave the dog at home until you are asked to take it

2. Keep the line

3. Listen for the "Stand still" call

That should see you right for starters :yes:

Here is my advice:

2. Keep the line

"keep the line"!

fook if you dont do that its bollocking laugh.gifyes.gif

Here is my advice:

2. Keep the line

"keep the line"!

fook if you dont do that its bollocking laugh.gifyes.gif

Too bloody right it is surprising how many beaters can't look right or left to check the line like it is just sooooooooooooo damned hard

im off on my first one on saturday with 3 5month old cocker puppies, im guna have my hands full but the only way to learn is to do it, best probs to take him along and see what hes like if you have to put him on a lead so be it at least youll get a feel if you like it or not, or even if the dog likes it. Dave

Leave the dog at home!

No offense but you dont know what is going on yourself, throw in an untrained dog in a situation where there is likely to be a lot of birds and you are asking for trouble.

There is nothing quite as likely to ruin a day for you (and everyone else) than a dog running wild

Leave the dog at home and work on the stop whistle and the recall until it is 100% and ideally the dog stops to the flush or at least ignores the flush.

It may (should) be ready for next season if you put the work in now to the training unless it is a total lunatic.

Good luck

All ways said a untrained dog can ruin a days hunting.But it,s not just beating.Its any dog you expect to work with other people and there dog,s.No matter what your out for.atb.Catcher.:thumbs:

im off on my first one on saturday with 3 5month old cocker puppies, im guna have my hands full but the only way to learn is to do it, best probs to take him along and see what hes like if you have to put him on a lead so be it at least youll get a feel if you like it or not, or even if the dog likes it. Dave

:icon_eek: 5 month old :icon_eek:........ok dont take them on sat....please!!! why would you want to take 'pups' to a shoot? They wont have a clue, i very much doubt you will get them off a lead and last but not least...."let them be puppies"... :yes:

I promise you if you take them you'll regret it......

All dogs vary, but even if i had a dog that was coming on very well with its training. i wouldnt consider taking it on a full shoot day until it was a year.

ok mate, think i was just been abit premuture thanks

what age do you think is best, surely they have to get used to it sometime?

I have 2 lab' pups at 1 year old....i took them for a wee test run last week at a shoot and they might get another 1 late january. I have only done the basics with them...i let them hear a gun around 6 months but from distance. I had them out for about 10mins each around 2 weeks ago at pigeons. I am a firm believer in pups being pups, your dogs should be perfect age for next season mate :thumbs:

what age do you think is best, surely they have to get used to it sometime?

I have 2 lab' pups at 1 year old....i took them for a wee test run last week at a shoot and they might get another 1 late january. I have only done the basics with them...i let them hear a gun around 6 months but from distance. I had them out for about 10mins each around 2 weeks ago at pigeons. I am a firm believer in pups being pups, your dogs should be perfect age for next season mate :thumbs:

spot on mate thanks for the advice :thumbs:

My Lab was on cold game blind retrieves when she 6 months and i started shooting over her at 7 months.

When i say shooting over her, i mean i would take her out for an hour, have her hunting up, shoot 1 rabbit then go home.

I steadily increased the time and shots over her until she was a year.

She is 1.5 years now and this season she will be worked fully on pheasants although i will still only have her hunting up rabbits for about up to 3 hours

Good luck with there training.

Dave.