The lurcher as a hunting companion, or as a killing machine?

Just thought I'd start this thread after reading the beddy/whippets/deer thread..

Just wondering what peoples views were on using a dog to hunt with.

In my opinion, a working dog is there to aid you in the act of hunting. It shouldn't matter if the dog can kill the quarry outright, all it should have to be able to do is hold up the quarry long enough for you (the hunter) to get there and despatch the quarry. I think you should be able to despatch any quarry by yourself if you set out to hunt an animal, no matter what it is.

If your not prepared to do so then I seriously don't think you can class yourself as a hunter, you're just a bloke with a dog.

Sensible replies please.. :thumbs:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL IDEATION READ WHAT YA HAVE TA SAY AND I MUS T SAY I AGREE WITH ALOT YA HAVE TA SAY WERE ON ABOUT VERMIN CONTROLL OF THE HEAVIER VARIETY GETTING IN THERE AND SORTING QUICKLY HIS TH

but what about that grey area where you have a dog that has never hunted fox and it tackles one by accident when your out after rabbit. i have a little kelpie x grew i wouldnt stand by and watch a lit

I agree Malt, dog hunts with me, not for me, although i'm sure they get 'pleasure' (in the dog sense of satisfaction from pleasing the pack leader) from my pleasure. I hunt because i like to hunt and

Just thought I'd start this thread after reading the beddy/whippets/deer thread..

Just wondering what peoples views were on using a dog to hunt with.

In my opinion, a working dog is there to aid you in the act of hunting. It shouldn't matter if the dog can kill the quarry outright, all it should have to be able to do is hold up the quarry long enough for you (the hunter) to get there and despatch the quarry. I think you should be able to despatch any quarry by yourself if you set out to hunt an animal, no matter what it is.

If your not prepared to do so then I seriously don't think you can class yourself as a hunter, you're just a bloke with a dog.

Sensible replies please.. :thumbs:

Fully agree !! No point your dog getting smashed up when you can help it out and get the job done quick!!!

I agree Malt, dog hunts with me, not for me, although i'm sure they get 'pleasure' (in the dog sense of satisfaction from pleasing the pack leader) from my pleasure. I hunt because i like to hunt and i hunt with dogs because i like dogs and like to hunt with them, both due to just enjoying their company and the way they work and also because they have abilities that i don't have and vice versa, so it's a good meeting of skills / minds which results in a more successful hunting endevour. At the end of the day like i said i'm working with them so we 'both' do our 'part', and if that part involves jumping in and cutting a throat or two to make things quicker, easier (and to be honest more humane) then thats fine. I do understand that for some however it is about how much ability their dog has, if the dog can't do it alone, why help they say, the dog obviously isn't worth helping. I have noticed that these folk are often the ones that have a high consideration of the numbers they bring home, and are often to be found trying to 'match' their dog against all and sundry. I'm not knocking anyones attitude, but to me it's about the pleasure of working with my animals.

As for the folk that don't like to get stuck in and dirty their hands, but revel in their dogs prowess at the kill. Well these kind of people speak for themselves and i feel they have very little part in our world and i'm somewhat suspicioud of them, as am i of those who never hunt for food. . . . . lamping all night and then macdonalds on the way home :icon_eek:

Anyway just my rambling opinion. . . . .. i think.

• Like 1

a dog has till kill the prey quick and its more up till the dog then you he does all the work most off the time.

You are not there most off the time .A hare or deer can bring a dog about5 6 fields if not more how can you get there till help out????? unless your one off these ppl drive a round in jeep which is not for me .

Even rabbits get caught in thick how can you get in till get it????

Definately an hunting companion and should be helped out if the situation arises then again i have never hunted unedible quarry intentionally with my dogs as i have never hunted for pest control or just for the sake of killing some thing thats no use to me but as they say each to their own.

a dog has till kill the prey quick and its more up till the dog then you he does all the work most off the time.

You are not there most off the time .A hare or deer can bring a dog about5 6 fields if not more how can you get there till help out????? unless your one off these ppl drive a round in jeep which is not for me .

Even rabbits get caught in thick how can you get in till get it????

I agree with you mate, i would hope / intend for the dog to kill it's prey quick, but say you had a small type dog that had managed to cut off and hold a good boar, you get there and the dog has it held by the business end, but is getting chucked about a bit, and so can't release it's grip if it wants to stay unhurt. . . . would you not run in and stick the pig? We ain't talking about fox, rabbit or hare here i don't think. :thumbs: Obviously 'pre-ban' etc.

if you slipped a dog on a fox pre ban of course and your dog was fighting with it and the owner got there the owner should never give the dog a hand the dog is there for a purpose to do its job not to hold it and let the owner finnish it off if the dog doesnt have the arse to do the job the fox should have the opportunity to get away and be ran another day thats my opion

• Like 1

if you slipped a dog on a fox pre ban of course and your dog was fighting with it and the owner got there the owner should never give the dog a hand the dog is there for a purpose to do its job not to hold it and let the owner finnish it off if the dog doesnt have the arse to do the job the fox should have the opportunity to get away and be ran another day thats my opion

Injured fox more dangerous to live stock than a healthy one........

Depends why your hunting them i suppose. If it's just the pleasure of matching your dog, or if you want the foxes dead for a reason. If i found myself standing about in a field while my dog 'fought' with a fox, i would be thinking about either new dogs or seeking some kind of mental health help. Also like i said not sure we are talking about fox.

Edited by Ideation
Guest deerhound hunter

i agree with most things been said ,but as the icemen said somtimes the hunt can take your far from your dog and its up to us and try to get their quick to dispatch the prey and as for a dog being acompanon that should be its first job and then it becomes hunting companon.

Edited by deerhound hunter