SHEEP WORRYING

Went out for my usuall walk on the hill this morning with just the 3 lurchers,walked for around half an hour and the lurchers take a line about 400 yds away from me..there i see reynard going flat out over the stones and making his way to a huge rush bed with my 3 behind him,when i get over to them they loose him briefly and take up the line to a rock pile where i assume he has gone into,away the 3 go up and over the stones,when i get to the top of thre stones to see a view of the valley bellow two of my lurchers are just in front of me with my other one ragging in the rush bed..GREAT "i thought"but why did my two stop dead ? well i eventully walk over and find out ! shes on a black sheep FUC..G GUTTED...all the hard work at the end of last year and the last few mts getting them fit and slowly bringing them on and THIS,im not going to make excuses but the weather wasnt the best with a bit of hill fog and light rain and the hill was coverd in sheep..but WHY,last year this bitch accounted for 6 single handed,and a few heavy customers she started to make good earths,and even missed a fox and came back thro a flock of ewes...shes 25mths old and i thought this was going to be a good season for her NOT NOW IT AINT..GUTTED :(

just read,all the replys.this very same scenario happened to me last year.a very good dog of mine 4 years old and trained PROPERLY.disapeared out of sight on a moor.i know how you feel when you first look at your animal smashing into a sheep (not farting about with it)but smashing it.its you that owns that animal,and i sympathise with your predicament.i didnt even think about sorting him ,it was far to gone for that.BUT after presure from some freinds to give the dog another chance,i buckled and done exactly that.against my better judgment.5 months of back to basics 5 days a week of constant walking through the bo peep.(off the lead)a wee glimmer of trust was returning.he was back out working again .3 months go bye then same moor but about 3 miles away from his misdemeanour and off he went far out into nowhere past flocks of sheep and straight onto a lone ewe.YOU DONE THE RIGHT THING MATE :thumbs: take it from me.when they take the throat out of one they will do it again. :thumbdown:

Thanks for the genuine honest reply..itstead of utter crap off people who aint got a clue about any type of hunting,only computer lituracy.. :thumbs:

people who havnt been unfortunate enough to come across the sight of your trusted dog totally loosing it,CANT understand the feeling you feel when seeing this. :wallbash::thumbdown:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, what have we learned ???. My first post questioned why you even brought this to the table if (and I think you had) already decided on a course of action. If the dog was an out and out sheep worri

Okay, think Shit Stirer fits the bill better..

You can't keep a dog that kills or worries sheep and expect to work it, it just cant happen. Anyone who has a retired worker knows how hard it is for the dog to see you and another dog going to work a

Posted Images

Went out for my usuall walk on the hill this morning with just the 3 lurchers,walked for around half an hour and the lurchers take a line about 400 yds away from me..there i see reynard going flat out over the stones and making his way to a huge rush bed with my 3 behind him,when i get over to them they loose him briefly and take up the line to a rock pile where i assume he has gone into,away the 3 go up and over the stones,when i get to the top of thre stones to see a view of the valley bellow two of my lurchers are just in front of me with my other one ragging in the rush bed..GREAT "i thought"but why did my two stop dead ? well i eventully walk over and find out ! shes on a black sheep FUC..G GUTTED...all the hard work at the end of last year and the last few mts getting them fit and slowly bringing them on and THIS,im not going to make excuses but the weather wasnt the best with a bit of hill fog and light rain and the hill was coverd in sheep..but WHY,last year this bitch accounted for 6 single handed,and a few heavy customers she started to make good earths,and even missed a fox and came back thro a flock of ewes...shes 25mths old and i thought this was going to be a good season for her NOT NOW IT AINT..GUTTED :(

just read,all the replys.this very same scenario happened to me last year.a very good dog of mine 4 years old and trained PROPERLY.disapeared out of sight on a moor.i know how you feel when you first look at your animal smashing into a sheep (not farting about with it)but smashing it.its you that owns that animal,and i sympathise with your predicament.i didnt even think about sorting him ,it was far to gone for that.BUT after presure from some freinds to give the dog another chance,i buckled and done exactly that.against my better judgment.5 months of back to basics 5 days a week of constant walking through the bo peep.(off the lead)a wee glimmer of trust was returning.he was back out working again .3 months go bye then same moor but about 3 miles away from his misdemeanour and off he went far out into nowhere past flocks of sheep and straight onto a lone ewe.YOU DONE THE RIGHT THING MATE :thumbs: take it from me.when they take the throat out of one they will do it again. :thumbdown:

I cant believe that some folks would keep a known stock worrier from some of the replys.. :icon_eek:

Apart from having your dog shot on sight quiet rightly ( seen it with my own eyes, not nice when some womens German sheperd drops three ewe's one after another, when I worked on a farm lambing in April) you end up in court and have the book thrown at you and fined for good measure..

Edited by Borat

If it's any consolation my fathers Collie killed a sheep and he kept it quiet it was out with my small very nice dog and decided to do the same thing again this time taking my dog with it. Result two dogs shot on sight. This incident was actually the reason I got into dog training.

Not bein funny milo but you sound a right t*t.. You might be gettin praise from a few members but if the dog was doin its job as good as you say then I think your talkin shit. If that was the dogs first mistake an you have took that power of puttin her to sleep then be honest an say the dog had other faults.. If this thread I to make people look at it an think ( hey he knows what he's doin he's a PROPER dog man) then your a fool.. It's happened to every lurcher man in the country at some point an trust me with abit of work it can be sorted. Especially if the land you hunt is full of sheep as you have said that would give me more motivation to try an sort it out. An also you goin on about keyboard hunters you have typed the worse thread I have seen for a while. Sort your head out an either admit the bitch was S*IT or you are a JOKE!!! ... An people askin for a poll on if Milo has done the right thing. Then I hope underneath it then there will be another poll. Askin how many people have had dogs that have had hold of a sheep an have managed to sort it out. I could name a few members straight away.. End of the day bitch must have had alot more faults than your makin out. All the best!!...

Not bein funny milo but you sound a right t*t.. You might be gettin praise from a few members but if the dog was doin its job as good as you say then I think your talkin shit. If that was the dogs first mistake an you have took that power of puttin her to sleep then be honest an say the dog had other faults.. If this thread I to make people look at it an think ( hey he knows what he's doin he's a PROPER dog man) then your a fool.. It's happened to every lurcher man in the country at some point an trust me with abit of work it can be sorted. Especially if the land you hunt is full of sheep as you have said that would give me more motivation to try an sort it out. An also you goin on about keyboard hunters you have typed the worse thread I have seen for a while. Sort your head out an either admit the bitch was S*IT or you are a JOKE!!! ... An people askin for a poll on if Milo has done the right thing. Then I hope underneath it then there will be another poll. Askin how many people have had dogs that have had hold of a sheep an have managed to sort it out. I could name a few members straight away.. End of the day bitch must have had alot more faults than your makin out. All the best!!...

fking spot on its bullshit :big_boss:

Its a shame im sure a city home could have worked out for her.I totally understand it though and pts far better than a farmer shooting her and making a mess of it.RIP and run free lass.It is nice to see people take responsibility for their own hounds though cos not many do i too would have gave her a chance at a new home in the town or away from sheep but i can understand your thinking and at least in this manner she isnt going to end up abused and dumped like so many others

Its a shame im sure a city home could have worked out for her.I totally understand it though and pts far better than a farmer shooting her and making a mess of it.RIP and run free lass.It is nice to see people take responsibility for their own hounds though cos not many do i too would have gave her a chance at a new home in the town or away from sheep but i can understand your thinking and at least in this manner she isnt going to end up abused and dumped like so many others

r.i.p and run free :doh: shes will be dead ffs she wont be running anywher ! all because of one mistake let the dog enjoy its life take a chance or sell it to someone reliable ....cant beleive some people on this feking site somtimes :wallbash:

Edited by SLiP tHe DoG !

The problem there is finding someone who will take what you say on board.Dont know how many times rescued dogs have ended up back at rescue they started off at cos the new owners were told for egsample not to let the dog near other dogs etc and they do it and it hits the fan big style.If you could have found a city home were the dog wouldnt be allowed near livestock then yes ideal but its not always that easy.I have heard some gruesome tales of farmers who have shot a worrier and not got it right first time meaning a very stressful and painful end its a shame for the dog and im sure rescues could have offered a place but it was his dog and his decision

Hi mate,my first thoughts on reading this was you done the right thing but the more I read I began to think that maybe you made a mistake,what you should of done was taken the dog and fired it right up one of these"don't put it to sleep,give it another chance" dafties arse for £300 and let them get the jail with it and when they're getting rode like a ewe I wonder if that would change their oppinion of you and what you did.Bad job well done,good man