Terrier & Ferret

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas on how to get your Terrier to be ok with a ferret?? :hmm:

in my case i have a 2year old patterdale terrier bitch, and im gona get a hob kit, but if its small and furry its game to her.. :o

Socialization from an early age is the key, as terriers have high prey drive and usually attack most things that move it would be hard to introduce an animal like a ferret later on in the terriers life. if they grew up together they would most likely be fine but again theres still a high chance of the terrier killing it.

All the best.

My 18mth patt/russell has been with me when I feed/clean my ferts daily since 8wk old. She screams to get in their run every morning and mouths them all gently. A couple of the ferts won't take any messing and she knows that BUT a grown dog is a different proposition.

Be careful or you'll have a dead fert But (again) it can be done with A LOT of patience. Good luck. Cheers, D.:victory:

My old bitch ratted alongside ferrets and was introduced to them at 6 weeks and is 100% sound. My other bitches have never ratted with ferrets and didn/t see one until they were 6 months and I KNOW they are not steady. You may have a sensitive bitch that is ok but mine aren't............

I gave it a try lads, kept it for 2 weeks, introduced my dog to it daily for a few hours a day. but she would just scream to get it. Shes just one of those dogs, if its small and furry its dead. Dont mind though it was just a thought, she does a good enough job by herself so im not that fussed. cheers for the input guys!!! :thumbs:

Rey