Collie X for bushing and rabbiting?

I have a year old Collie Cross (think there's some lab and maybe a bit of lurcher in her) and my attempts to persuade the other half to let me have a terrier for ratting and bushing have fallen on deaf ears. "You're not getting another f*cking dog!" has been heard in my house on many occasions.

Faced with this issue I'm wondering if its possible to bring on my year old collie to do a similar job. If so, where do I start? My mate has 2 lurchers and runs them quite regularly but she's probably not going to be fast enough to keep up with them and if she did catch a rabbit before them they'd likely take it off her pretty easily. She's fit, fast, game and well trained (to an extent, sit, stay, bed and stop, plus wherever she is and whatever she'd doing she'll stop and return to my side with 2 loud whistles). Can she be a rabbiter, ratter and busher or am I wasting my time? Is she too old at a year to be learning this kind of thing?

Any advice would be appreciated and if there's anybody in my area of North Yorks who wouldn't mind helping me along that'd be great!

All the best

Sam

might not be an ideal x so to speak but the lab in her might be handy for the bushing side of it, the collie for the obedience side of it. only way to know is to bring her out mooching to start off with. if you have a friend with a good bushing terrier she might learn by simply watching. try her out, keep on at the mrs, plenty of soft chat should work along with a few romantic gestures :kiss: :yes:

These type of dogs mongrels can and do make brilliant bushing dogs just take her were theirs plenty of rabbits [bANNED TEXT] the covers died down a bit and see if her natrual instincts kick in another exspierienced bushing dog will help to get your dog going.

These type of dogs mongrels can and do make brilliant bushing dogs just take her were theirs plenty of rabbits [bANNED TEXT] the covers died down a bit and see if her natrual instincts kick in another exspierienced bushing dog will help to get your dog going.

:yes: these types of dogs can be very usefull, one of the best beating dogs ive seen is a old collie cross,

Thanks for the replies.

So I should just take her to a field of rabbits and let her loose? It's as easy as that? I read on a different topic that it helps to let them have one and then hold them back, is that right? I'm struggling to find anyone with an experienced dog in my area...

Well I've found someone who runs lurchers and I'm going to take her along for a go on wednesday. Will let you know how she does. Is there anything I can do with her at home to prepare her or should I just take her as is? Is it worth witholding her food tuesday night so she's a little more eager? Someone suggested I try it but I'm not too keen to be honest... Any views on this?

would not differ food day before atall, will have plenty of time to digest, only thing think of could do is practice retrievin just incase catches, ur life will change from then, you will get the hunting bug! enjoy and let us no how get on!

Im no expert but its important to not feed the dog for a good while before it does any proper work as they can get there gut twisted and it is a fatal problem. Have fun with your dog and i hope he does what you want. Even if its not a world beater as long as you have fun with it thats all that matters!

might not be an ideal x so to speak but the lab in her might be handy for the bushing side of it, the collie for the obedience side of it. only way to know is to bring her out mooching to start off with. if you have a friend with a good bushing terrier she might learn by simply watching. try her out, keep on at the mrs, plenty of soft chat should work along with a few romantic gestures :kiss: :yes:

The collie side can add a lot more than obedience, they are the most versatile breed on the planet.

The collie side can add a lot more than obedience, they are the most versatile breed on the planet.

really, ya think? maybe i shouldnt just keep it basic for "non collie owners"

seen so many shite collies out there that i dont tell people that a collie is some kind of wonderdog, bought many for prospect as workers that ended up in the pet trade quite a few from top uk, welsh + irish bloodlines.

my own bloodline are serious sheepdogs, brillant at obedience. bad at agility. not good cattledogs either. handsome small + extremely smart, ive bought in collies from famous bloodlines that havent made the grade.

im down to my best bitch "holly" + pick of her litter (sired by a son of j.diamonds "ben" + m.gilmartins "meg") as i sold all the sheep this spring.

Edited by CarraghsGem

this bitch sounds like she may be abit hyper get her working and give plenty no need to worry about her age sometimes this can be agood thing personally i would get her out on her jack mooching prhps with aferrit she will click these type of dogs can and do make handy pot fillers hope ya have some luck with her

this bitch sounds like she may be abit hyper get her working and give plenty no need to worry about her age sometimes this can be agood thing personally i would get her out on her jack mooching prhps with aferrit she will click these type of dogs can and do make handy pot fillers hope ya have some luck with her

She'd probably eat the ferret LOL!