ferrets dead

went to work for an hour this morning only to come back and find my 14 month lakeland fell x weaten wasnt in the pen looked up the yard and the shed door was open long story short he jumped the pen made his way to the shed and some how opened the clasp on the ferret box and duely dispatched my two kits :thumbdown: is there any way i can break this dog to ferrets or am i wasting my time ??? :wallbash:

went to work for an hour this morning only to come back and find my 14 month lakeland fell x weaten wasnt in the pen looked up the yard and the shed door was open long story short he jumped the pen made his way to the shed and some how opened the clasp on the ferret box and duely dispatched my two kits :thumbdown: is there any way i can break this dog to ferrets or am i wasting my time ??? :wallbash:

Sorry to hear that mate. but i think most dogs left alone with ferrets will kill them mate. i dont have any experience with that breed but whats the dog like with ferrets when your there to watch them and i would say that now the dog has done it once the chances are it will do it again but like i said i dont know the dog. hope u can sort it mate.

I stopped one ! don't all start! it was over 30yrs ago and I didn't know any better at the time. Working Russell with a touch of bull in it, got out , ripped front of cage ,killed a big hob. I thrashed the dog with the dead ferret! then tied the dead ferret round the dogs neck to drag about for to days. After that the dog wouldn't look at a ferret. I used to sit it down to watch holes I couldn't see, knowing it would come and find me with it's tail between it's legs if the ferret showed out of my sight. Not proud of it, but it worked.

I stopped one ! don't all start! it was over 30yrs ago and I didn't know any better at the time. Working Russell with a touch of bull in it, got out , ripped front of cage ,killed a big hob. I thrashed the dog with the dead ferret! then tied the dead ferret round the dogs neck to drag about for to days. After that the dog wouldn't look at a ferret. I used to sit it down to watch holes I couldn't see, knowing it would come and find me with it's tail between it's legs if the ferret showed out of my sight. Not proud of it, but it worked.

a true and honest answer romany as always mate :thumbs: , i have heard and known of this before, again it worked, but to some this would been seen as cruelty in today's world.

some of the old ways still have a place and work well.

i have seen someone rub the ass of a killed ferret in to the nose of the killing dog,

then put the ferret around the dogs neck for a couple of days, rubbing its nose every so often with the ass of the dead ferret.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the kits, i hope things work out for you

is there any way i can break this dog to ferrets or am i wasting my time ??? :wallbash:

So.......your dog isn't securely-penned, your ferrets court isn't secure, you haven't bothered your arse to check how your dog behaves around your new ferret kits. And now you want advice? :hmm:

Ok! Here's how I'd cure your problem..........get yourself a plank of wood, around 6" x 1" (preferably something like oak, or another dense hardwood?) Hold it in both hands & place it @ 90 degrees to your body. Then smartly lift it upright. This way you'll make certain it's travelling at its maximum speed, thereby imparting the smack on the head that you're obviously in need of............

Edited by Quixote
  • Like 3

='romany52' date='01 August 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1280691890' post='1657187']

We used the same methord with a hen killer but try using that today ? The minute sombody saw anything on your dog the arsespca would be round in a flash

='romany52' date='01 August 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1280691890' post='1657187']

We used the same methord with a hen killer but try using that today ? The minute sombody saw anything on your dog the arsespca would be round in a flash

I know mate, your right, but if it saves a dog from being past from pillar to post and the lives of a few ferrets ,where's the real harm in it.

I'm lucky I had my ferrets before I added the dogs to my team. I used to let the dogs have a sniff about the ferrets as pups as I was cleaning them out. The dogs soon learn as pups not to get too close to the ferrets after one nip on the nose! :D

I've never tried breaking an adult terrier to ferrets though, my mates nephew tried it once but he could never trust it fully.. It ended up killing one of his hobs when they escaped from a ferret box one afternoon when his back was turned.. :(

is there any way i can break this dog to ferrets or am i wasting my time ??? :wallbash:

So.......your dog isn't securely-penned, your ferrets court isn't secure, you haven't bothered your arse to check how your dog behaves around your new ferret kits. And now you want advice? :hmm:

Ok! Here's how I'd cure your problem..........get yourself a plank of wood, around 6" x 1" (preferably something like oak, or another dense hardwood?) Hold it in both hands & place it @ 90 degrees to your body. Then smartly lift it upright. This way you'll make certain it's travelling at its maximum speed, thereby imparting the smack on the head that you're obviously in need of............

who the fcuk do you think you are have you ever made a mistake ????? i came on here to ask for some advice not abuse but as with most threads on this site some know alls think they know it all and just want to ribb people instead of advising if you have nothing constructive to say keep your mouth shut clown

thanks to all those that have given advise

• Like 3

the abve is right! i had to do the same with a wellington boot once with my working mastiff! the final straw was he went through my £140 hand made leather boots...enough is enough!

sometime thw old ways are the best if a little harsh! :o

:laugh::toast::laugh::toast::bye: